9/18 - no spoilers here!

  • paige_the_mad_metallurgist
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
      Argh!!! So much is said, but nothing pertaining to what I was hoping to hear today! (Read: Gil's side of the story.) Another long weekend, waiting for the next installation. Maybe he'll feel up to chiming in on Monday! I can hope, anyway... ^_^
    • pmw57
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "paige_the_mad_metallurgist" <paigely@...> wrote:

        > Argh!!! So much is said, but nothing pertaining to what I was hoping to hear today! (Read: Gil's side of the story.) Another long weekend, waiting for the next installation. Maybe he'll feel up to chiming in on Monday! I can hope, anyway... ^_^

        I have to ask though, what is that a live creature that Tarvek is carrying?

        --
        Paul Wilkins
      • jwhouk
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 17, 2009
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "pmw57" <paul.m.wilkins@...> wrote:

          <snip>

          > I have to ask though, what is that a live creature that Tarvek is carrying?

          I do believe that's a Mimmoth. A well-fed mimmoth, but a mimmoth none the less.

          And now, spoilerspace time!

          DON'T
          GO
          SPOILING
          YOUR
          DINNER
          OR
          YOUR
          WEB
          COMIC!
          GO
          HAVE
          NICE
          BREAD
          PUDDING
          WITH
          SOME
          FRIED
          MIMMOTH
          NUGGETS
          AND
          SAUCE
          THEN
          GO
          READ
          THE
          COMIC
          FIRST!

          There, that should be enough.

          Sooooo... First of all, Tarvek agrees that it was the worst punishment ever. Moxanna points to whoever thought that was the case.

          Second, "Petrus Teufel" - that's roughly "Peter the Devil", isn't it?

          Thirdly - Are ya thinking what I'm thinking, kids? That Mrs. Teufel might have been something MORE to Klaus? ("I haven't seen my wife in YEARS"... http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040114)

          Fourth - HEY! That's BANG with Gil at the Parisian Nightclubs!
        • Corgi
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
            --- "jwhouk" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

            > Thirdly - Are ya thinking what I'm thinking, kids? That Mrs. Teufel
            > might have been something MORE to Klaus? ("I haven't seen my wife
            > in YEARS"... http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040114)

            d00d... it's a /cover story/.

            There is an extremely strong chance that Gil was born in Skifander. I really really kinda doubt Teufel was terrorising Skifander or making trips to a hidden city in the jungle at the same time he was ravaging what was left of Europa. C'mon.

            Corgi, Occam's Razor-ly
          • Trouble Sturm
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
              On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:14 PM, pmw57 <paul.m.wilkins@...> wrote:

              > I have to ask though, what is that a live creature that Tarvek is
              carrying?

              I believe that is a rather large mimmoth?

              --
              rh
              Trouble

            • Kay
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jwhouk" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "pmw57" <paul.m.wilkins@> wrote:
                > >

                > <snip>
                >
                > > I have to ask though, what is that a live creature that Tarvek is carrying?
                > >

                > I do believe that's a Mimmoth. A well-fed mimmoth, but a mimmoth none the less.
                >
                > And now, spoilerspace time!
                >
                > DON'T
                > GO
                > SPOILING
                > YOUR
                > DINNER
                > OR
                > YOUR
                > WEB
                > COMIC!
                > GO
                > HAVE
                > NICE
                > BREAD
                > PUDDING
                > WITH
                > SOME
                > FRIED
                > MIMMOTH
                > NUGGETS
                > AND
                > SAUCE
                > THEN
                > GO
                > READ
                > THE
                > COMIC
                > FIRST!
                >
                > There, that should be enough.
                >
                > Sooooo... First of all, Tarvek agrees that it was the worst punishment ever. Moxanna points to whoever thought that was the case.
                >
                > Second, "Petrus Teufel" - that's roughly "Peter the Devil", isn't it?
                >
                > Thirdly - Are ya thinking what I'm thinking, kids? That Mrs. Teufel might have been something MORE to Klaus? ("I haven't seen my wife in YEARS"... http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040114)
                >
                > Fourth - HEY! That's BANG with Gil at the Parisian Nightclubs!

                I think when Klaus lays a fake trail, he tends to add multiple layers. Tarvek had seen through one fake story, but fell for the second one.
              • Mary Lowe-Hentges
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                  [-- "jwhouk" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

                  > Thirdly - Are ya thinking what I'm thinking, kids? That Mrs. Teufel
                  > might have been something MORE to Klaus? ("I haven't seen my wife
                  > in YEARS"... http://www.girlgeni usonline. com/comic. php?date= 20040114)

                  <Corgi responeded>
                  d00d... it's a /cover story/.

                  There is an extremely strong chance that Gil was born in Skifander. I
                  really really kinda doubt Teufel was terrorising Skifander or making
                  trips to a hidden city in the jungle at the same time he was ravaging
                  what was left of Europa. C'mon.]

                  Is jwhouk seriously suggesting the Baron had only **ONE** layer of misinformation covering his son? Tcha, not even.

                  Even if Teufel was Patriz rather than Peter, and a Skifandrian Princess on Grand Tour, I doubt this is the final layer of cover for Gil. In the unlikely event that Teufel is Skifandrian, I doubt they are a close relative.

                  Annechen Loewenstein
                  non scripta non est
                • brendawriter
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jwhouk" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "pmw57" <paul.m.wilkins@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > <snip>
                    >
                    > > I have to ask though, what is that a live creature that Tarvek is carrying?
                    > >

                    > I do believe that's a Mimmoth. A well-fed mimmoth, but a mimmoth none the less.

                    It is fairly large, is it not? to be a real mimmoth. I suggest it is a stuffed toy mimmoth. The way you can get stuffed Mickeys that are very much larger than any real mouse. And the idea of Li'l Tarvek with his stuffed toy buddy, awwww!

                    Brenda
                  • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                      On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:33:21AM -0000, Kay wrote:
                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jwhouk" <jwhouk@...> wrote:
                      > > HEY! That's BANG with Gil at the Parisian Nightclubs!

                      You know, I think you're right. I didn't recognize her at
                      first, but obviously that white mark on her forehead is the
                      skull, and I think we've seen her with that hookah before in
                      a donation gift. It was strongly suspected that Gil had
                      interacted with Bang in Paris -- Zola mentions a crazy
                      pirate girl, I believe -- but we weren't sure whether it was
                      before or after Klaus hired her. I guess we still don't;
                      maybe both: Gil introduces her to the Baron to get rid of
                      her, and then later Klaus sends her back to retrieve Gil at
                      some point.

                      > I think when Klaus lays a fake trail, he tends to add
                      > multiple layers. Tarvek had seen through one fake story,
                      > but fell for the second one.

                      Especially since Gil knew that Tarvek was interested; they
                      may even have planted the evidence after Tarvek was, er,
                      exiled back to his home, so to speak.
                    • Joy Beeson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                        On 9/18/09 7:33 AM, Kay wrote:

                        > Tarvek had seen through one fake story, but fell for the
                        > second one.

                        While I can find only two reasons for the sausage story, I
                        can't find any for the Peter Devil story. I think that
                        Tarvek created it himself, by looking for what he *knew* had
                        to be there.

                        I do the same thing every morning, when I look out and see
                        a big long-necked bird among the ducks, geese, sea gulls,
                        and swans on the sandbar. It's really a beach ball tethered
                        to a stake.

                        --
                        Joy Beeson
                        http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jwhouk" <jwhouk@...> wrote:

                          > Fourth - HEY! That's BANG with Gil at the Parisian Nightclubs!

                          That shows that this is very much being told from Tarvek's point of view. Also look at Gil's face in that panel. This is how Tarvek (mis)interpreted what he saw in Paris.

                          Gil's version will doubtlessly be different.

                          And reality will differ even more from how both remember things.

                          Charleson Mambo
                        • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                            *snip*

                            It is fairly large, is it not? to be a real mimmoth. I suggest it is a
                            stuffed toy mimmoth. The way you can get stuffed Mickeys that are very
                            much larger than any real mouse. And the idea of Li'l Tarvek with his
                            stuffed toy buddy, awwww!

                            Brenda

                            ---------------------

                            That's my take on it. When I saw the image, my first thoughts were,
                            'Awwwww, how precious!'

                            So, how long will it take for someone out there in fandom land to
                            actually *make* one of those? I'm guessing in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .

                            Kate McClure
                            Anything can be improved with a solid maniacal laugh.
                            - M.E.

                          • Corgi
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                              --- "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

                              >> I think when Klaus lays a fake trail, he tends to add
                              >> multiple layers. Tarvek had seen through one fake story,
                              >> but fell for the second one.
                              >
                              > Especially since Gil knew that Tarvek was interested; they
                              > may even have planted the evidence after Tarvek was, er,
                              > exiled back to his home, so to speak.

                              Nonono, a cover that carefully built is by no means an improv or something done in haste. All those stories were in place before Gil was put with the other kids regularly, I'll bet; and I'll also bet there's a third layer as backup and mousetrap for anybody suspicious enough to /keep/ digging.

                              Corgi
                            • Amanda L. Servello
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Corgi <corgi@...> wrote:

                                > --- "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > >> I think when Klaus lays a fake trail, he tends to add
                                > >> multiple layers. Tarvek had seen through one fake story,
                                > >> but fell for the second one.
                                > >
                                > > Especially since Gil knew that Tarvek was interested; they
                                > > may even have planted the evidence after Tarvek was, er,
                                > > exiled back to his home, so to speak.
                                >
                                > Nonono, a cover that carefully built is by no means an improv or something
                                > done in haste. All those stories were in place before Gil was put with the
                                > other kids regularly, I'll bet; and I'll also bet there's a third layer as
                                > backup and mousetrap for anybody suspicious enough to /keep/ digging.

                                That's my bet, too, although I can't imagine what would be worse than being
                                "Devil Peter's" son....maybe make the kid a bastard of someone whose
                                reputation Klaus would want to protect? Other than the Heterodynes...maybe
                                make him a failed attempt to re-grow the Klaus Heterodyne.

                                I think I may have found who Petrus is based on:
                                http://mattson.creighton.edu/History_Gas_Chemistry/Kipps.html
                                <http://mattson.creighton.edu/History_Gas_Chemistry/Kipps.html>* The Kipp
                                generator was invented in 1844 by Petrus Jacobus Kipp and used throughout
                                the rest of the 19th and the entire 20th centuries. Indeed, Kipp generators
                                are still being used in some places. When qualitative analysis was taught to
                                all students of chemistry, the Kipp generator was used to provide hydrogen
                                sulfide for determination of specific metal ions.*

                              • Corgi
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                  --- Joy Beeson <joybeeson@...> wrote:

                                  > On 9/18/09 7:33 AM, Kay wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Tarvek had seen through one fake story, but fell for the
                                  >> second one.
                                  >
                                  > While I can find only two reasons for the sausage story, I
                                  > can't find any for the Peter Devil story. I think that
                                  > Tarvek created it himself, by looking for what he *knew* had
                                  > to be there.

                                  Huh? C'mon, Klaus is too careful and foresightful not to anticipate somebody digging into Gil's background for whatever reason. Petrus Teufel was somebody in recent history who couldn't object to being used this way, and provided a convenient reason for layers of security - and provided a layer of satisfaction for somebody saying, just as Tarvek did, 'No, this doesn't fit.'

                                  Anybody who kept digging after that story would likely be carefully guided into a nice oubliette until Gil was old enough to deal with them himself. The act of investigation would be a meter of how much interest Gil had drawn. No digging - no interest - everything's green on the board.

                                  Corgi
                                • Katherine Hanna
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                    On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM, brendawriter <brendawriter@...> wrote:

                                    >And the idea of Li'l Tarvek with his stuffed toy buddy, awwww!

                                    As if he wasn't cute enough with his oversized square frame glasses, awwww!

                                    -Kael
                                  • brellchild
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                      > >And the idea of Li'l Tarvek with his stuffed toy buddy, awwww!
                                      >
                                      > As if he wasn't cute enough with his oversized square
                                      > frame glasses, awwww!

                                      I still don't think that was stuffed. I think it was
                                      a Mimmoth version 1.0 - later generations became
                                      progressively smaller as Tarvek's work with
                                      microbiochemistry progressed.

                                      And if Tarvek was indeed the source of the Mimmoth
                                      'plague', it would give a wonderful added layer to
                                      the expression on Gil's face here:

                                    • jsheikg
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 18, 2009
                                        > I believe that is a rather large mimmoth?

                                        It's his prized trophy mimmoth, the one he bagged to win the annual CW mimmoth hunting competition.
                                      • El Lobo
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 19, 2009
                                          I am not a linguist or anything, but I think Die Teufel means The Devil. So Mrs. Teufel is the wife of the devil?

                                          Jäck Rüssell

                                          "Reality is for people without imagination."

                                        • Amanda L. Servello
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 20, 2009
                                            On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM, El Lobo <loborojo1960@...> wrote:

                                            > I am not a linguist or anything, but I think Die Teufel means The Devil.
                                            > So Mrs. Teufel is the wife of the devil?

                                            Literally, yes, but it's also a nickname for scary folks-- US Marines still
                                            tend to get tatoos with "teufelhind" (sp) because during WWII they scared
                                            the Nazis so dang bad, that's what they started calling 'em.

                                          • Kay
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 20, 2009
                                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda L. Servello" <headnoises@...> wrote:

                                              > On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM, El Lobo <loborojo1960@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I am not a linguist or anything, but I think Die Teufel means The Devil.
                                              > > So Mrs. Teufel is the wife of the devil?
                                              >

                                              > Literally, yes, but it's also a nickname for scary folks-- US Marines still
                                              > tend to get tatoos with "teufelhind" (sp) because during WWII they scared
                                              > the Nazis so dang bad, that's what they started calling 'em.

                                              So that's why Marines are called Devil Dogs. (I don't really speak German, but I think that's what the translation would be.)
                                            • Amanda L. Servello
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 20, 2009
                                                On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Kay <akgreentea@...> wrote:

                                                > So that's why Marines are called Devil Dogs. (I don't really speak German,
                                                > but I think that's what the translation would be.)

                                                Ooops, I should've included the meaning... but yes.

                                                I was startled with the Mobile Fun-size Destruction dog/cats showed up and
                                                didn't have a resemblance to either bull dogs or Marines.

                                                A name like "Black Devil" would be *awesome* for a DI!

                                                Anyone got a Word of God on if they got his name from the guy who came up
                                                with a way to get hydrogen sulfide gas? (I kinda suspect it may have been
                                                "we'll pick a cool name" type formation...but either way would be cool.)

                                              • brendawriter
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 21, 2009
                                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)" <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:

                                                  > So, how long will it take for someone out there in fandom land to
                                                  > actually *make* one of those? I'm guessing in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .

                                                  Oh, already done. Have a look at:

                                                  http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/extinct-animals/woolly-mammoth-stuffed-f1446.htm

                                                  Note that these people help endangered species. Although they merely sell stuffed mAmmoths, but the difference between a very small stuffed mammoth and a very large stuffed mimmoth is probably negligible.

                                                  Brenda
                                                • paige_the_mad_metallurgist
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 21, 2009
                                                    > > I believe that is a rather large mimmoth?
                                                    >
                                                    > It's his prized trophy mimmoth, the one he bagged to win the annual CW mimmoth hunting competition.

                                                    That makes me wonder what type of weaponry one would use for such an event. I imagine that high-velocity projectile weaponry would be strongly frowned upon in the hands of young children! Von Pinn certainly would have had her hands full keeping the kids safe from one another!