Othar vs. the Other

  • WTrasque
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
      Rereading and rereading Girl Genius makes "Mad" Speculation seem to pop into my head. Specifically, a cast-away phrase made me wonder about the relationship between Othar and the Other.

      Specifically, my curiosity concerns the first panel of this comic: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070817

      "Someone was clearly trying to wipe out Europe's sparks." Isn't that Othar's MO?
    • William Aber
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
        Ah, I see this theory has already been written about on the Wiki:
        http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Other#Othar_Tryggvassen.2C_Gentleman_

        I guess I'm just one of the few readers that would consider it a
        possibility.

        - WT

        WTrasque wrote:
        > Rereading and rereading Girl Genius makes "Mad" Speculation seem to pop into my head. Specifically, a cast-away phrase made me wonder about the relationship between Othar and the Other.
        >
        > Specifically, my curiosity concerns the first panel of this comic: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070817
        >
        > "Someone was clearly trying to wipe out Europe's sparks." Isn't that Othar's MO?

      • persephone_kore
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, William Aber <wtarrasque@...> wrote:

          > Ah, I see this theory has already been written about on the Wiki:
          > http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Other#Othar_Tryggvassen.2C_Gentleman_
          >
          > I guess I'm just one of the few readers that would consider it a
          > possibility.
          >
          > - WT

          I think it's more that the possibility is widely considered to have been an early red herring. It was an obvious suggestion based on the name and mission, but while it's entirely possible that there's been some confusion along the way, "the Other" seems to refer _primarily_ to the entity (broadly assumed to be a single person) responsible for attacking Castle Heterodyne, trying to wipe out ruling Sparks, and introducing slaver wasps. Vrin's casual explanation that the slaver wasps were Lucrezia's and Lucrezia was the Other tends to establish pretty firmly that Lucrezia (or, in some theories, a duplicate/alternate version/entity possessing Lucrezia) was responsible for a large portion of these activities.

          I think Othar's actually supposed to be quite a few years too young. Plus, when we get his POV, he doesn't seem to like the Other much, either.

          PK
        • Doctor Nightfall
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
            > Rereading and rereading Girl Genius makes "Mad" Speculation seem to pop into my head. Specifically, a cast-away phrase made me wonder about the relationship between Othar and the Other.
            >

            > Specifically, my curiosity concerns the first panel of this comic: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070817
            >

            > "Someone was clearly trying to wipe out Europe's sparks." Isn't that Othar's MO?

            You have a point, but...

            From what has been said, the events you are referring to are not Othar's MO at all. Othar is not stupid, certainly, but he's not really the kind of person to involve himself in massive manipulative schemes. It's just not his style! His style is to shoot with death ray/create implosion device that is swallowed in food/reverse gravity under their feet and send them shooting off into orbit/bash in head with wrench. Othar's schemes can all be traced to and blamed on Othar- perhaps too easily, granted; but the point is that they tend to be as subtle as a drunken Jaeger Can-Can troupe wearing clogs. (Doing the traditional Can-Can, in fact.)

            No. In that part mentioned, it looks like all the Sparks were blaming each other. Not Othar.

            *****

            What am I doing here

            half asleep

            and the rest of me