Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Happy Fun Ball of Death

  • Joshua Kronengold
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 3, 2009
      taoman58 writes:
      >Your analysis of the princess quest (on the part of the prince) and
      >of the summary arc of the Arabian Nights makes me think of one of my
      >favorite stories, "The Marriage of Sir Gawain" which is the Arthurian
      >canon's answer to that age-old question: "What do women want?" And I
      >guess that really is the quest of "Girl Genius" when I think about
      >it.

      Oh, yeah. (Of course I know the ending to that story. My partner,
      Lisa Padol, did her doctoral dissertation on the Matter!)

      And yeah, the story is certainly apropos to GG.

      >But always remember that in fairy tales and folk legends "beauty" is
      >always more than what it seems to be in the story. Get off the
      >surface and dig deeper; it's because of what you find down there that
      >you like the "simple" story on top.

      *nod* Beauty is a common (and sometimes story-centric)
      handle/attribute in fairy tales--and tales of any sort, really (how
      many lead acresses -aren't- beautiful?) But the sympathetic heroines
      usually have -something- going for them in addition to that--Snow
      White is kind (sometimes, too kind), the ugly stepsisters are -also-
      venal and greedy; Cinderella is a dutiful worker (though really, she's
      a cipher. Cinderella is, rather, the epitome of the story which
      appeals not because of the characters but because it can serve as wish
      fulfilment).

      --
      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
      --^-- "Did you know, if you increment enough, you /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 3, 2009