Re: Happy Fun Ball of Death

  • Corgi
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 1, 2009
      --- "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

      > Those interested in authentic folktales with strong heroines
      > would do well to check out _Tatterhood and other tales_
      > edited by Ethel Johnston Phelps, 1978.
      >
      > <snip>

      See, THIS is what needed to go into the wiki, not just the title. :)

      Corgi
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 3, 2009
        taoman58 writes:
        >Your analysis of the princess quest (on the part of the prince) and
        >of the summary arc of the Arabian Nights makes me think of one of my
        >favorite stories, "The Marriage of Sir Gawain" which is the Arthurian
        >canon's answer to that age-old question: "What do women want?" And I
        >guess that really is the quest of "Girl Genius" when I think about
        >it.

        Oh, yeah. (Of course I know the ending to that story. My partner,
        Lisa Padol, did her doctoral dissertation on the Matter!)

        And yeah, the story is certainly apropos to GG.

        >But always remember that in fairy tales and folk legends "beauty" is
        >always more than what it seems to be in the story. Get off the
        >surface and dig deeper; it's because of what you find down there that
        >you like the "simple" story on top.

        *nod* Beauty is a common (and sometimes story-centric)
        handle/attribute in fairy tales--and tales of any sort, really (how
        many lead acresses -aren't- beautiful?) But the sympathetic heroines
        usually have -something- going for them in addition to that--Snow
        White is kind (sometimes, too kind), the ugly stepsisters are -also-
        venal and greedy; Cinderella is a dutiful worker (though really, she's
        a cipher. Cinderella is, rather, the epitome of the story which
        appeals not because of the characters but because it can serve as wish
        fulfilment).

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^-- "Did you know, if you increment enough, you /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'