What to do with (to?) Zola?

  • ToolMan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
      Ok, Zola has received and accepted marching orders from Agatha.

      But in the Comic-verse that probably isn't enough. We all saw her kill "Lamp Shade" earlier, if not in cold blood, at least hot. She has also at various times tried, or threatened to kill others.

      Agatha can forgive Zola's move against her own self, but the other actions would seem to require some penalty.

      I can see a few possibilities:

      Zola could move against Agatha and lose, she could encounter others of the prisoners and they could take revenge, or (most likely) something could threaten the well being of Gil and she could make the ultimate sacrifice.

      One other possibility occurs to me as I write this - She could be confined to Der Kestel for life with it charged as her jailer.

      What did I miss?

      - TT
    • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:29:38AM -0000, ToolMan wrote:
        > But in the Comic-verse that probably isn't enough. We all saw her kill "Lamp Shade" earlier, if not in cold blood, at least hot. She has also at various times tried, or threatened to kill others.

        Zola, I think, is a spark-level (or nearly so) gifted
        actress, and she was playing the role of a Heterodyne.
        Being a Heterodyne means you go mad and kill people. See,
        it almost happened again today.

        But she was "so cheesy" you say? There she was playing the
        role of a Heterodyne playing the role of a nice person.

        > Agatha can forgive Zola's move against her own self, but the other actions would seem to require some penalty.

        Perhaps.

        > Zola
        > could encounter others of the prisoners and they could take revenge,

        Not if she's under Agatha's protection, which she is.

        > or (most likely) something could threaten the well being of Gil and she could make the ultimate sacrifice.

        I think this is correct. Oh, wait, did you mean death?
        There are things far worse than death, are there not?

        > One other possibility occurs to me as I write this - She could be confined to Der Kestel for life with it charged as her jailer.

        > What did I miss?

        I'm thinking that Othar is being sent in to retrieve Gil
        (preferably alive, dead if necessary, since Klaus is going
        to obliterate DK) or die trying. Right monster for the job,
        yes? I think this is how Othar meets his spunky girl
        sidekick.
      • yumitori
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2009
          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Prof. Zarchne (of
          Zarkhnistan)<zarchne@...> wrote:

          > Zola, I think, is a spark-level (or nearly so) gifted
          > actress, and she was playing the role of a Heterodyne.
          > Being a Heterodyne means you go mad and kill people. See,
          > it almost happened again today.

          I don't think she was 'playing a role' when she was talking to Gil
          about the plans to depose Wulfenbach and to kill the son of Klaus.

          --
          Ron/yumitori

          "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
          liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

          - Thomas Jefferson
        • John Savard
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ToolMan" <Tom@...> wrote:

            > Agatha can forgive Zola's move against her own self, but the other actions would seem to require some penalty.

            My guess is this:

            That situation won't come to a head until Sana'a Wilhelm turns up. (The action Gil witnessed, while indicative of Zola's ruthlessness, was at least valid from an operational standpoint - and Agatha had her own experience with that fellow.)

            There are several different ways it could be handled, and I'm thinking in terms of Agatha having a "what am I becoming" moment.
          • Larry Talbot
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
              Der Schnippe---

              Zola, I think, is a spark-level (or nearly so) gifted
              actress, and she was playing the role of a Heterodyne.
              Being a Heterodyne means you go mad and kill people. See,
              it almost happened again today.

              Die Schnappe---

              Puh-LEEEZE! Not everything is about the Spark! Zola is just a little opportunistic semi-sociopath (I say "semi" since she seems to care about Gil.) What is with this group? "Merlot must be a miner Spark", "Zola is a miner Spark", "The Dingbots must be Sparky!" Hello! People can function and do pretty well without the Spark. Yeesh!

              Der Wolf

              Ululo Ergo Sum

              "English is the result of Norman Men-at-Arms making dates with Saxon Barmaids."

              H. Beam Piper

            • yumitori
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Larry Talbot<lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:

                > "Merlot must be a miner Spark", "Zola is a miner Spark",

                I'm sorry; I must have missed the bits where they were using Mad
                Science to extract mineral deposits. The Seven Dwarves; now *they*
                were Miner Sparks...

                --
                Ron/yumitori

                "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
                liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

                - Thomas Jefferson
              • codenamejill
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:

                  > Der Schnippe---
                  >
                  > Zola, I think, is a spark-level (or nearly so) gifted
                  > actress, and she was playing the role of a Heterodyne.
                  > Being a Heterodyne means you go mad and kill people. See,
                  > it almost happened again today.
                  >
                  > Die Schnappe---
                  >
                  > Puh-LEEEZE! Not everything is about the Spark! Zola is just a little opportunistic semi-sociopath (I say "semi" since she seems to care about Gil.) What is with this group? "Merlot must be a miner Spark", "Zola is a miner Spark", "The Dingbots must be Sparky!" Hello! People can function and do pretty well without the Spark. Yeesh!
                  >
                  > Der Wolf

                  "Minors, not miners!" -- Dr. Lazarus (paraphrased)

                  Yes, I agree. Zola is just an actress, and not even a very good one. She just knew enough to keep herself alive. I thought she was sneakier, but I'm taking her at face value for now.

                  So... Wednesday's page. Is Agatha putting on a "I don't care about Gil" act just to keep Zola in line and Gil safe? Because if she's not acting... damn! Gil just nearly killed himself for her and she's still all "blah de blah, not interested!" In the time it took for her to make a speech, she could have made a girly fuss and followed it up with a quick, "Keep Gil alive or I squish you like a bug. I'm off to fix stuff."
                • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                    > > Puh-LEEEZE! Not everything is about the Spark!

                    To defend what I wrote, I don't necessarily think Zola is "a
                    Spark", but I *was* suggesting she may have some assistance
                    from the gods. Probably the muses.

                    > > Zola is just a little opportunistic semi-sociopath (I say "semi" since she seems to care about Gil.)

                    And Gil has taken the trouble to rescue her, although that
                    may say only something about him.

                    In may opinion, antisocial personality disorder is not quite
                    the right diagnosis of her mental illness; I maintain that she
                    was *acting* like a sociopath rather than actually being
                    one. I do find it's in the same cluster, "B", though:

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder#Cluster_B_.28dramatic.2C_emotional_or_erratic_disorders.29

                    My gut says that "borderline" (although not obvious from the
                    simple description on that page) is more nearly correct.
                    However, I am not licensed for psychotherapeutics.

                    > > What is with this group? "Merlot must be a miner Spark", "Zola is a miner Spark", "The Dingbots must be Sparky!"

                    > > Hello! People can function and do pretty well without the Spark. Yeesh!

                    Here, sure. There, being a Spark is a matter of life and
                    death, of power vs powerlessness.

                    It appears that Sparks, at least major ones, are able to
                    create spirits, new souls of some sort, to animate
                    non-living matter. Although none of those three examples
                    you gave are likely to be actual Sparks, it's at least worth
                    discussing.

                    On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 09:38:03PM -0000, codenamejill wrote:
                    > Zola is just an actress, and not even a very good one.

                    I dunno, I thought she played the sociopath pretty well
                    until Agatha made it clear who the real Heterodyne was.
                    Now, like the minor sparks, she is freed from her own ego
                    demands and allowed to take on a new role in Agatha's
                    service. In Zola's case, it's probably Gil's personal
                    Florence Nightingale. She'll even have Gil's (it's not a)
                    lamp, I guess.

                    > She just knew enough to keep herself alive. I thought she was sneakier, but I'm taking her at face value for now.

                    I think the devil dog broke that mask.

                    > So... Wednesday's page. Is Agatha putting on a "I don't care about Gil" act just to keep Zola in line and Gil safe?

                    What? I'm sorry, Mnen, but how can you not recognize love
                    when you see it? Agatha is sacrificing what she would
                    instinctively want to do -- make a "girly fuss" -- for the
                    good of Gil and everyone else.

                    > Because if she's not acting... damn! Gil just nearly killed himself for her and she's still all "blah de blah, not interested!"

                    That's not what she meant at all. She's just having the
                    strength of character to delegate the girly fuss role to
                    somebody who can play it well.

                    Which is not to say she won't be punished for it.

                    > In the time it took for her to make a speech, she could have made a girly fuss and followed it up with a quick, "Keep Gil alive or I squish you like a bug. I'm off to fix stuff."

                    That wouldn't be much of a girly fuss. She'd like to spend
                    all her time concentrating just on him, and it's easier to
                    just not let herself get started.

                    But at rate, Agatha's not Princess Buttercup, that's for sure.
                  • God
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                      codenamejill wrote:

                      > "Minors, not miners!" -- Dr. Lazarus (paraphrased)

                      > Yes, I agree. Zola is just an actress, and not even a very good one.
                      > She just knew enough to keep herself alive. I thought she was
                      > sneakier, but I'm taking her at face value for now.
                      >
                      > So... Wednesday's page. Is Agatha putting on a "I don't care about
                      > Gil" act just to keep Zola in line and Gil safe? Because if she's not
                      > acting... damn! Gil just nearly killed himself for her and she's
                      > still all "blah de blah, not interested!" In the time it took for her
                      > to make a speech, she could have made a girly fuss and followed it up
                      > with a quick, "Keep Gil alive or I squish you like a bug. I'm off to
                      > fix stuff."

                      most definitely she's acting... to a point that is... take a look at the
                      facial expressions along the top of the page... you don't get the first
                      two if you could care less about the guy. and then the middle one is her
                      accepting reality and the last 2 are her having to psych herself up
                      to act the part of "the crazed Heterodyne, that's just been attacked in
                      her own castle!..." kinda similar to the scene where Gil had to freak
                      out on Wooster before he sent him off to get Agatha in the first place.

                      however, i think the whole "knt breef" thing was her forgetting to "ACT"
                      crazy, and was letting her previous angry emotions bleed thru the act by
                      accident and subconsciously to boot!... THAT is why she's blushing in
                      the last panel, she got called on it.
                    • Eric Oppen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                        *singing*

                        What do we do with the pink-clad Zola?
                        What do we do with the pink-clad Zola?
                        What do we do with the pink-clad Zola?
                        Early in the morning?

                        Put her into bed with the Norseman Othar
                        Put her into bed with the Norseman Othar
                        Put her into bed with the Norseman Othar
                        Early in the morning!

                        Othar's all scared of her whips and leather
                        Othar's all scared of her whips and leather
                        Othar's all scared of her whips and leather
                        Early in the morning!

                        Let her take on the Jagermonsters
                        Let her take on the Jagermonsters
                        Let her take on the Jagermonsters
                        Early in the morning!

                        Jagers all say that she's worn them ragged
                        Jagers all say that she's worn them ragged
                        Jagers all say that she's worn them ragged
                        Early in the morning!

                        Build her a clank, let it exhaust her
                        Build her a clank, let it exhaust her
                        Build her a clank, let it exhaust her
                        Early in the morning!

                        Clank's worn out, it needs repairing
                        Clank's worn out, it needs repairing
                        Clank's worn out, it needs repairing
                        Early in the morning!

                        Ask Agatha to solve the problem
                        Ask Agatha to solve the problem
                        Ask Agatha to solve the problem
                        Early in the morning!

                        Agatha says she's glad you asked her
                        Agatha says she's glad you asked her
                        Agatha says she's glad you asked her
                        Early in the morning!

                        *SPLAAAASH!!!*

                        "There. Nothing like a nice long bath in ice-water to cool that
                        little hussy's gonads off..."

                        --
                        "I have existed from the morning of the world, and I shall continue to exist
                        until the last star falls from the sky. Although I have taken the form of

                      • codenamejill
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 2, 2009
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, God <god@...> wrote:

                          > codenamejill wrote:
                          > >
                          > > So... Wednesday's page. Is Agatha putting on a "I don't care about
                          > > Gil" act just to keep Zola in line and Gil safe? Because if she's not
                          > > acting... damn! Gil just nearly killed himself for her and she's
                          > > still all "blah de blah, not interested!" In the time it took for her
                          > > to make a speech, she could have made a girly fuss and followed it up
                          > > with a quick, "Keep Gil alive or I squish you like a bug. I'm off to
                          > > fix stuff."
                          >
                          > most definitely she's acting... to a point that is... take a look at the
                          > facial expressions along the top of the page... you don't get the first
                          > two if you could care less about the guy. and then the middle one is her
                          > accepting reality and the last 2 are her having to psych herself up
                          > to act the part of "the crazed Heterodyne, that's just been attacked in
                          > her own castle!..." kinda similar to the scene where Gil had to freak
                          > out on Wooster before he sent him off to get Agatha in the first place.

                          Right, that's what I was hoping it was, but the following page (today's, just posted) seems to favor the other interpretation. "Right, I feel better now that's sorted out." with that facial expression reads completely unworried. Remember what she just saw him do and that he's still *dying* over there.

                          I'm very sorry to admit to all the Tarvek fans that, yes, she showed MUCH more concern over Tarvek. When he went down, she was completely frantic and "poor baby", hugging him, petting him on the head. That was a girly fuss if I ever saw one. She actually put fixing the castle on hold in order to save his life. Now, with Gil, it's all matter-of-fact and getting down to business. Which is, well, read into that what you will. :/
                        • Giselle
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Eric Oppen <technomad@...> wrote:

                            > *singing*
                            >
                            > What do we do with the pink-clad Zola?
                            > What do we do with the pink-clad Zola?
                            > What do we do with the pink-clad Zola?
                            > Early in the morning?

                            *snippety*

                            *SNORTSPLUTTERCHOKE*

                            Thank you. You just made my entire weekend.

                            If you'll excuse me I now need to figure out how to rinse a latte out of my sinuses.

                            You'd think I'd know better than to be eating/drinking anything while reading this message board by now, but NOOOOOOOO....
                          • liminaut
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "John Savard" <savardj@...> wrote:

                              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ToolMan" <Tom@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Agatha can forgive Zola's move against her own self, but the other actions would seem to require some penalty.
                              >
                              > My guess is this:
                              >
                              > That situation won't come to a head until Sana'a Wilhelm turns up.

                              Or doesn't turn up, as the case may be.

                              My current guess is that Wilhelm is dead, killed when Zola ordered the prisoners to chase after Agatha. When Agatha finds out, she'll go apocalyptic on Zola for ordering Wilhelm to her death ... until the Castle or Moloch points out that when Agatha told they Castle "the people after me are trying to kill me", that was as good as ordering the Castle to kill them. So Zola ordered Wilhelm to her death, but Agatha gave the execution order.

                              Good times all around.

                              ==Ed
                            • Donald Brown
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                                On Jul 3, 2009, at 10:06 AM, liminaut wrote:

                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "John Savard" <savardj@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ToolMan" <Tom@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Agatha can forgive Zola's move against her own self, but the
                                > other actions would seem to require some penalty.
                                > >
                                > > My guess is this:
                                > >
                                > > That situation won't come to a head until Sana'a Wilhelm turns up.
                                >
                                > Or doesn't turn up, as the case may be.
                                >
                                > My current guess is that Wilhelm is dead, killed when Zola ordered
                                > the prisoners to chase after Agatha. When Agatha finds out, she'll
                                > go apocalyptic on Zola for ordering Wilhelm to her death ... until
                                > the Castle or Moloch points out that when Agatha told they Castle
                                > "the people after me are trying to kill me", that was as good as
                                > ordering the Castle to kill them. So Zola ordered Wilhelm to her
                                > death, but Agatha gave the execution order.
                                >
                                > Good times all around.

                                Rational...but not funny. And funny rules. Wilhelm showing up has a
                                number of possibilities. For one thing...I get the feeling that
                                Wilhelm won't be that impressed with Agatha being a Heterodyne (given
                                the way she spoke about the news of Zola being there). Wilhelm is
                                just too good of a character to lose offstage.

                              • ToolMan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, yumitori <yumitori@...> wrote:

                                  > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Prof. Zarchne (of
                                  > Zarkhnistan)<zarchne@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Zola, I think, is a spark-level (or nearly so) gifted
                                  > > actress, and she was playing the role of a Heterodyne.
                                  >
                                  > <snipage>
                                  >
                                  > I don't think she was 'playing a role' when she was talking to Gil
                                  > about the plans to depose Wulfenbach and to kill the son of Klaus.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Ron/yumitori

                                  ... nor do I think she was playing a role when she shot and killed "Lamp Shade" in front of the crowd - she certainly didn't show any signs of shock or remorse looking at the just dead body laying in the spreading pool of blood (sorry, I really don't want to flog that horse any more, but that was a VERY revealing moment).

                                  - TT
                                • Eric Oppen
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                                    Quoting yumitori <yumitori@...>:

                                    > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Prof. Zarchne (of
                                    > Zarkhnistan)<zarchne@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Zola, I think, is a spark-level (or nearly so) gifted
                                    >> actress, and she was playing the role of a Heterodyne.
                                    >> Being a Heterodyne means you go mad and kill people. See,
                                    >> it almost happened again today.
                                    >
                                    > I don't think she was 'playing a role' when she was talking to Gil
                                    > about the plans to depose Wulfenbach and to kill the son of Klaus.

                                    Keep in mind what sort of rep the Wulfenbachs have...and that nobody
                                    knows anything much about Gil. _We_ know that he's nice (at least
                                    most of the time, although I would NOT want to be on the wrong end of
                                    his temper when it snaps!) but to most Europeans, he's an unknown
                                    quantity. For all they know, he's even nuttier than most Sparks, and
                                    has the power to really do some awful things.

                                    --
                                    "I have existed from the morning of the world, and I shall continue to exist
                                    until the last star falls from the sky. Although I have taken the form of
                                    Thomas Riddle, I am all wizards as I am no wizard, and thus...I am Lord
                                    Voldemort!"

                                  • nielingage
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "ToolMan" <Tom@...> wrote:

                                      > Zola could move against Agatha and lose, she could encounter others of the prisoners and they could take revenge, or (most likely) something could threaten the well being of Gil and she could make the ultimate sacrifice.

                                      While inside living areas DK, this would be incredibly stupid - Zola is many things, but outrageous stupidity is not indicated, especially given that DK is coming alive around them and clearly on Agatha's side. It's one thing for Zola to make her way through portions of DK that are running on automatic and quite another to be where it is fully aware.

                                      Now, if they have to pass through "dead" areas to reach the critical junction to repair the whole castle she might try something, but Zola would have to be aware that attempting something without being able to exit the castle is suicide; given what just happened to Mr. HeavyGuns, she'd also be aware that with other people making repairs, previous "dead" zones may be no longer...
                                    • Joy Beeson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 3, 2009
                                        On 7/1/09 7:29 AM, ToolMan wrote:

                                        > One other possibility occurs to me as I write this - She
                                        > could be confined to Der Kestel for life with it charged
                                        > as her jailer.

                                        When you're on parole, your not allowed to associate with
                                        people like Der Kestel.

                                        If you give her the right script, Othar might make a good
                                        guardian. Let her rehearse being the voice of moderation
                                        and reason until she's got it down pat, and the crazier he
                                        gets, the better a guardian he is.

                                        --
                                        Joy Beeson
                                        http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 6, 2009
                                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "liminaut" <liminaut@...> wrote:
                                          >So Zola ordered Wilhelm to her death, but Agatha gave the execution
                                          > order.

                                          This could one of the reasons that Agatha helps find out about Moloch's brothers in the gunboat.

                                          Also, I wonder if it might be enough to shake Moloch out of his minion status. Merlot managed to break free from Beetle with sufficient provocation.