Re: [Girl Genius] Error!!!

  • jwhouk
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:

      > I just realized a whopping big error in the storyline. It involves Agatha and the Jaegers. Anybody want to take a stab what it is?
      >
      > Uncle Wolf

      It's something to do with what happened after she met Dimo, Oggie and Maxim, doesn't it? Something they said doesn't quite jibe with their fealty to House Heterodyne.
    • Joy Beeson
      Message 53 of 53 , Jun 11, 2009
        On 6/10/09 10:50 AM, antigone68104 wrote:

        > For a good chunk of human history, a "hot bath" meant
        > heating water on the stove one kettle at a time and
        > carrying it to a tub. With that much work, I can see why
        > people just washed hands and faces regularly and saved a
        > full bath for Saturday night.

        Speaking as someone who remembers that history -- well, we
        had indoor plumbing by the time I was old enough to
        remember, but in the summer (when the coal furnace wasn't
        providing a constant source of heat), a shower started with
        Daddy going out into the back room and building a fire under
        the water heater, then if I was in a hurry, I'd lean against
        the tank until I got uncomfortable so I'd know the first
        moment the water was hot enough to shower in. Showers were
        mostly for the times when you needed to wash your hair.
        (That was *such* an improvement over washing hair in the
        kitchen sink!)

        You *can* clean your entire body in a washbowl. (There are
        detailed instructions in "How to be Pretty though Plain",
        which one of these years I'm going to get around to scanning
        and posting on the Web.)

        And I know from current experience that you can bathe quite
        comfortably in ice water. The key is to wring your rag well
        before you rub it on yourself -- the small amount of
        remaining water can't soak up much heat, but if you rinse
        the rag frequently, it does a good job of cleaning. Takes
        longer to get the soap off than just pouring water over
        yourself, of course.

        It's a good idea to rinse your rag in the very minimum of
        water, so that you can change the water several times
        without filling up the slop bucket.

        --
        Joy Beeson
        http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange