Re: [Girl Genius] So, uh. Friday's comic.

  • Darkheart29
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Eric Oppen <technomad@...> wrote:
      > And one reaso to keep Zola alive and healthy might well be that she
      > has skills that Agatha _doesn't_---like, forex, first aid.

      Agatha has these skills... she would have used them on Lars, but she didn't have any instruments with her at the time...
    • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2009
        On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 09:19:22PM -0400, Larry Talbot wrote:
        > Gil puts people back together. Zola puts on band-aids. Yeah, she's useful.

        Moloch von Zinzer can also apply first aid, of course.

        And, of course, Agatha is somewhere in between... she knows
        enough surgery to maybe make a really substantial mistake,
        although maybe not my guess of incorrectly hooking up
        Tarvek's pulmonary plumbing.

        I want to suggest again that Zola is an *actress*, however
        cheesy (to use Agatha's plaint); *thence* (or from some
        allied insanity, as reported by Gil) she is able to murder
        in cold blood, because *that's what Heterodynes do*. I'm
        not saying that Zola is a kind of über-minion just because
        it supports the idea that Zola would make an especially
        excellent sidekick for Othar, but it seems to.

        (Interestingly, when I put "über-minion" into Google, TPU's
        Tom Smith (with Deathsheep overlord Fenton) comes up first
        for me.)

        > Actually, what she knows about the Knights of Jove is of far greater importance. When are we gonna find out that Tarvek is behind the Knights of Jove?

        You mean, *immediately* commanding their takeover of
        Mechanicsburg rather than just being... well, rather like
        the King on a chess board? Between what Tarvek and Violetta
        told Agatha, and Zola told Gil, we already have a pretty
        good explication of Tarvek's relationship to the Knights of
        Jove. There could still be some surprises with respect to
        his mother or grandparents, who else is on The Council, and
        other knightly orders -- not to mention complications if and
        when the unrelated factions that Carson predicted show up --
        but I'm not sure what other essential points there are.

        I might like to point out again that (contrary to what I
        first thought when Violetta appeared) I'm pretty sure the
        Smoke Knights (and thus "Grandma", if she's a literal
        grandmother) are on the Sturvoraus side, though the Knights
        of Jove are obviously loyal to the Valois. Not that it much
        matters if they're all enthralled by the Mongfish/Lucrezia/
        Other (/Isis, is my crazy theory)... um... power.

        > He is the Storm King, after all.

        That's a loaded statement.

        > As for Gil, that is one serious wound. From the location it should have nicked the heart and at the very least punctured a lung. We are talking sucking chest wound, here.

        Not to mention the torn rotator cuff the physician here
        suggests he may have incurred tossing Merlot and his
        battlesuit around.
      • stereo_bis
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 09:19:22PM -0400, Larry Talbot wrote:
          >
          > > As for Gil, that is one serious wound. From the location it should have nicked the heart and at the very least punctured a lung. We are talking sucking chest wound, here.
          >
          > Not to mention the torn rotator cuff the physician here
          > suggests he may have incurred tossing Merlot and his
          > battlesuit around.

          Unless the bullet, weakened by the pectoralis major (which Gil, like his father, seems to have well developed [insert gawking fangirl sound here]) just got stopped on by a rib. Perhaps cracking the rib too, which I'm sure, would hurt a lot - enough to feel real bad once adrenaline level is down.

          But I'm no doctor, so I may be way off: Stereo
        • Larry Talbot
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
            Der Schnippe---

            Unless the bullet, weakened by the pectoralis major (which Gil, like his father, seems to have well developed [insert gawking fangirl sound here]) just got stopped on by a rib. Perhaps cracking the rib too, which I'm sure, would hurt a lot - enough to feel real bad once adrenaline level is down.

            Die Schnappe---

            So Gil and Klaus have muscles like kevlar? Then why did Punch throw bolts through Klaus' leg and toso so easily?

            Actually, there is something to your argument, but it involves caliber of weapon more than muscle density. Arnold Schwarzenagger is hardly bullet proof, despite what you see in a lot of his movies. No, it depends on the caliber of weapon being used. A .22 against a large man does little more than piss him off, unless you get lucky and hit something vital right off. A .357 or .44 Magnum makes a small hole in front and a very large hole in back. Obviously, Merlot wasn't packing major heat if Gil only has a small (though possibly deep) wound on his chest. I would say that, at most, Merlot's weapon was the equivalent of a .32 (deadly if used right, but not a lot of kick). But that would still be pretty serious at point blank range as it was. Then there are the rounds to consider. Hollow point, wadcutters or armor piercing? We can safely rule out the first and last as HP would have fragmented and trashed Gil's heart and lung and AP would have gone all the way through or ricocheted off a bone and really tore Gil up from the inside (nasty side effect of rifling in the barrel.) So we are looking at a Wadcutter or other solid round that goes in, sets up shop, and generally makes a nuisance of it self until removed. Of course, with Merlot as the shooter, it might be chalk or hardened cheese or some other silly thing, but I would wonder where he got it from as he couldn't bring it into the castle with him.

            Uncle Wolf

            Ululo ergo sum.

            http://wulfmann. wordpress. com/

            "Englisch ist das Ergebnis von Normannischen Männern-an-Armen, die Daten mit sächsischen Bardamen machen."
            H. Beam Piper

          • stereo_bis
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2009
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:

              > Der Schnippe---
              >
              > Unless the bullet, weakened by the pectoralis major (which Gil, like his father, seems to have well developed [insert gawking fangirl sound here]) just got stopped on by a rib. Perhaps cracking the rib too, which I'm sure, would hurt a lot - enough to feel real bad once adrenaline level is down.
              >
              > Die Schnappe---
              >
              > So Gil and Klaus have muscles like kevlar? Then why did Punch throw bolts through Klaus' leg and toso so easily?
              >
              > Actually, there is something to your argument, but it involves caliber of weapon more than muscle density. (snip)

              I think you're thinking waaaaaaaay too much into this. First, we're not dealing with "our universe's firearms", but Girl Genius weaponry. Of course there is bound to be some similarity, but not direct correlation.

              Ok, firstly I doubt prisonners are allowed to bring weapons inside DK. Sure, Pinky's good did, but I don't think they'd have given one to an unknown as Merlot. So where does Merlot's gun from? He either found it, or made it himself. Beyond all talks about if Merlot has broken through (an idea I do not favor), he probably isn't all that gifted at it.

              Secondly, Merlot seems to have a fixation for chalk and cheese. Cheese wouldn't make much damage, so let's go for chalk, which 1) isn't very dense, and thus 2) would shatter if submitted to a too strong acceleration. (Even if armored/shielded/whatever it's called - I'm no expert; I don't know the terminology) From such a short barrel, one can assume a subsonic shot at best. From such a narrow barrel, one can assume a low mass projectile. Add the two, and you get a painful, but not very harmful weapon.

              Of course, it could be a gun he has found the same as the double-gattling walker, and then anything is possible; strongest as weakest. And then we only have Gil's wound to guess what kind of gun it is.

              As for the Baron being hurt by Punch, do remember that Punch also shattered the big guy's (I don't remember how they are called) dome-head, which I suppose to be made of glass, probably a centimeter thick, or close to. This should give you an idea of the impact from Punch's throws. And Klaus was hit at the knee (but not at the torso, just check here: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040906 for bandages), which has pretty much no muscular mass for protection.

              So sit back, relax, and enjoy the story: Stereo
            • Larry Talbot