Re: Weasel Queen!! Aaaaaagh

  • John Savard
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2009
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...> wrote:

      > Anyone else think that first panel is a homage/shoutout to War of
      > the Worlds?

      Yes, I'm quite sure it is.

      I don't suppose there are any Moxana points to be had for predicting that Wednesday's page will feature Agatha saying "Science!", Zeetha saying "Hey!", Krosp saying "Meow", and Othar Tryggvasen reminding us that he is a "Gentleman Adventurer"!

      Given that What's New with Phil and Dixie, although it updated on time this week, was very late last week, and the donation wallpapers didn't update during all of May, it was clear enough that this was going to come soon. Whatever our disappointment, these little adventures are still enjoyable comical interludes, and better that we have to wait a little than the health and sanity of the Foglios collapse.
    • Larry Talbot
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
        I KNEW IT! I said it was time for a scene change and there it is! This just proves that the professors are evil! EVIL I say! Then again, I was wondering how Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, was going to escape from the machinations of the vile Weasel Queen...lessee...got some popcorn here somewhere...

        Uncle Wolf

        Ululo ergo sum.

        http://wulfmann. wordpress. com/

        "Englisch ist das Ergebnis von Normannischen Männern-an-Armen, die Daten mit sächsischen Bardamen machen."
        H. Beam Piper

      • jwhouk
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:

          > I KNEW IT! I said it was time for a scene change and there it is! This just proves that the professors are evil! EVIL I say! Then again, I was wondering how Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, was going to escape from the machinations of the vile Weasel Queen...lessee...got some popcorn here somewhere...

          Come on! You know that the Professor and Professora will just have Othar escape the Weasel Queen off-camera. ;)
        • petecady
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:

            > I KNEW IT! I said it was time for a scene change and there it is! This just proves that the professors are evil! EVIL I say! Then again, I was wondering how Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, was going to escape from the machinations of the vile Weasel Queen...lessee...got some popcorn here somewhere...

            I don't think the professors are all that evil. Evil would have been to cut to the Weasel Queen whilst Merlot was still firing...

            Peter
          • Larry Talbot
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
              >>Come on! You know that the Professor and Professora will just have Othar escape the Weasel Queen off-camera. ;)

              EVIL!!!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
                >>I don't think the professors are all that evil. Evil would have been to cut to the Weasel Queen whilst Merlot was still firing...

                I didn't say they were all "Ming the Merciless" evil, just EVIL! Doing the scene shift during the Merlot scene would have been "Mean and EVIL!"

                Uncle Wolf

                Ululo ergo sum.

                http://wulfmann. wordpress. com/

                "Englisch ist das Ergebnis von Normannischen Männern-an-Armen, die Daten mit sächsischen Bardamen machen."
                H. Beam Piper

              • Donald Brown
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
                  On Jun 1, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Larry Talbot wrote:

                  > >>I don't think the professors are all that evil. Evil would have
                  > been to cut to the Weasel Queen whilst Merlot was still firing...
                  >
                  > I didn't say they were all "Ming the Merciless" evil, just EVIL!
                  > Doing the scene shift during the Merlot scene would have been "Mean
                  > and EVIL!"

                  Actually, I think this is a good spot for a break. We're at a "what
                  will happen next" spot, not a "OMG how will they deal with that"
                  spot. And I have been wondering how the Weasel Queen would try to
                  kill Othar and how it wouldn't work.

                • stereo_bis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Donald Brown <gadgetdon@...> wrote:

                    > And I have been wondering how the Weasel Queen would try to
                    > kill Othar and how it wouldn't work.

                    We know that three of the lapinemoths are actually Agatha, Zeetha and Krosp in disguise, so I think "how it will fail" is simple. My question is: how long will they enjoy the show before cutting in. Oh, and I _SOOOO_ want Zeetha slap Othar senseless (with her shovel, of course) for breaking the heart of that poor construct-spark girl who only wanted to be loved for once in her life...

                    Mean Othar! (boing) Bad Othar! (boing) No cookies for you! (double-major-slam): Stereo
                  • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
                      On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:03:40AM -0400, Larry Talbot wrote:
                      > I didn't say they were all "Ming the Merciless" evil, just EVIL! Doing the scene shift during the Merlot scene would have been "Mean and EVIL!"

                      I believe the technical term for that is "evil and rude":

                      http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/E/evil-and-rude.html

                      (B. B. King notwithstanding.)

                      Good call on the fact of scene change.
                    • akgreentea
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
                        My first thought this morning was a quote from Klaus http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030122 "Gotterdammerung"
                      • Unpronounceable in the human language.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2009
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...> wrote:

                          > Anyone else think that first panel is a homage/shoutout to War of
                          > the Worlds?

                          Yes, quite...different section tho'

                          [quote]
                          Far above the surface, in the cold vacuum of space, vast intelligences, cold, calculating and dispassionate, eye this warm green world with envy.
                          [endquote/ http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20090601 ]

                          [quote]
                          Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes.
                          [endquote/ The War of the Worlds, Berkley Publishing Corporation circa 1964] (which I just started reading last week.. for the first time actually.. what timing eh? and I almost missed it entirely!)

                          Thanks for pointing it out. :)
                        • Matthew Funke
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2009
                            raven_manque@... wrote:
                            > (which I just started reading last week.. for the first time actually..

                            Enjoy. :) It is, IMHO, some of the best sci-fi out there. There's so much that Wells absolutely *nails* about alien invasion the first time out that makes all subsequent attempts seem like pale comparisons. I'd go into specifics, but there's the risk of spoilers.

                            To bring this back to GG: Since Agatha Heterodyne's Earth is different from ours, couldn't her Mars be as well? I, too, would really like "The Dragon from Mars" to have the ring of truth (in the GG universe). Some Victorians thought that Mars was an older world than Earth, and thus, its life would be more advanced. (I wonder what kind of civilization would give rise to the Dragon.)

                          • Edward Rhodes
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2009
                              To bring this back to GG: Since Agatha Heterodyne's Earth is different from ours, couldn't her Mars be as well? I, too, would really like "The Dragon from Mars" to have the ring of truth (in the GG universe). Some Victorians thought that Mars was an older world than Earth, and thus, its life would be more advanced. (I wonder what kind of civilization would give rise to the Dragon.)

                              ***

                              I could certainly see the GG universe having Edgar Rice Burrough's "Barsoom" For that matter, they could have the lush jungle primeval Venus the sci-fi writers used to dream up!

                              I have to 'fess up, everytime I think about Mars vis-a-vis GG, I keep forgetting that it's supposed to be "Dragon from Mars," I keep expecting it to be "Spiders from Mars," I could envision a mad Spark who looks like Ziggy Stardust bringing down giant spiders from the Red planet!