a would-be member & a relayed post

  • kimbertow
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 3:37 PM
      Greetings to all, on behalf of Xeennexx! He/she is looking to join
      the group, and would like to comment on something while the
      membership application is still pending (hint, hint, Mr./Ms.
      Moderator—time to check the in-box.) Here's what I received in my
      email yesterday, as Xeenexx was attempting to reply to my post
      titled "Bang, Zulenna and Zeetha":

      ####
      Just some thoughts to add about Zulenna...

      I believe that the Baron will resurrect Zulenna simply because he
      can't afford not to. If I'm correct, she is a "special guest" (Read:
      hostage), and if her family find out she is dead, the Baron would
      lose an important leverage against them. And since only Bang, von
      Pinn and the Baron himself were witness to her death, it would be
      easy to make her a construct and no one would know she died in the
      first place (and swear both Bang and von Pinn to keep quiet about it
      upon pain of death with no chance of resurrection). Also, there is a
      second benefit to Zulenna becoming a construct. The Baron
      could "program" her to spy on her fellow students, since he knows
      already that they are willing to defy him in light of the Heterodyne
      heir appearing. I'm sure now he will want to keep as close an eye on
      them as possible, and what better way to do it than to have someone
      in their mist that they have no reason not to trust. A Zulenna
      construct would fit the bill nicely.

      It seems to me that Zulenna's noble death has the potential to become
      the tragic death worthy of epic story writing.
      ###

      That's what Xeenexx had to say on that. I say he/she could very well
      be right about Zulenna's resurrection; it all hinges on whether or
      not anyone besides Klaus, Bang and Von Pinn finds out she was killed
      in the first place. (Well, that and no one else ever finding out she
      has a scar on her chest that never heals... but Zulenna certainly
      didn't strike me as the free-n-easy type who'd shed her clothes in
      front of anyone who wasn't pre-approved-by-royal-family husband
      material.)

      I also still hold that if she was resurrected and her family found
      out she'd been killed, they would be forced by their own traditions
      to refuse to acknowledge her as their daughter still; she'd just be
      another walking corpse now, a non-person in their eyes. The rules of
      royal procession would not allow otherwise.

      ~Kimberly T.
    • pmaclanderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 4:15 PM
        Someone else almost certainly will, but it will be somebody working
        for Klaus. Unless you conjecture Klaus has nothing better to do than
        cart away those bodies with his own two hands....

        Remember, both Bang and v.Pinn will be out for a while.

        This does depend on Bangladesh keeping her trap shut, even assuming
        she is inclined to give in to threats in the first place.

        (Also, the other students are not witnesses, exactly, but they will
        have a good chance of figuring out the essential point. So will
        Zulenna.)

        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kimbertow" <kimbertow@y...> wrote:

        > That's what Xeenexx had to say on that. I say he/she could very
        well
        > be right about Zulenna's resurrection; it all hinges on whether or
        > not anyone besides Klaus, Bang and Von Pinn finds out she was
        killed
        > in the first place.....
      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 4:53 PM
          The cardinal rule on the airship is:

          "Don't Hurt the Students. Ever. Under any circumstances. No excuses."

          If someone actually managed to kill one of the students, that person would
          have to be shipped immediately to Castle Heterodyne at the very least. To
          do anything less would be to severely damage discipline aboard the ship,
          calling into question if all the lessor orders could be disobeyed as well,
          and also directly endanger the lives of the rest of the students.

          You can't run a ship, let alone a fleet, without discipline. Without
          discipline, you can't rely on anyone obeying any order unless Klaus or a
          Jaeger is standing right over them. And the very first thing you would
          have to do is evacuate the students to someplace that was still safe for them.

          Even if discipline is notoriously lax elsewhere in his realm it can't be
          that lax aboard the airship, otherwise the thing would fall out of the air
          from improper maintenance.

          Bang is working with Gil in the next issue. Ergo, Bang did not kill Zulenna.

          Debbie
          http://www.brigidsforge.com
          Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

          "He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-oriented
          programming."

        • Joseph Cotton
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 8:58 PM
            --- Debbie <lioness@...> wrote:

            > The cardinal rule on the airship is:
            >
            > "Don't Hurt the Students. Ever. Under any
            > circumstances. No excuses."
            > [...]
            > Bang is working with Gil in the next issue. Ergo,
            > Bang did not kill Zulenna.

            This is, perhaps, the most convincing argument I've
            seen so far. I just wish the knife had looked like it
            was going in a bit lower and more to Bang's left -- it
            would have been easier to accept it as "just" a
            sucking chest wound. Although puncturing a lung is
            still a pretty harsh way of dealing with someone Bang
            probably could have disarmed just as easily.

            =====
            Joseph M. Cotton sylvaton@...

            Random book quote #61
            "Sooner or later you'll tell me everything I want to know. If it's later... I don't mind."
            Correctly identify the quote and win a US 50-cent piece!
            Only $4.99 shipping and handling to claim your prize.
            Hail Eris!

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • kimbertow
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3 8:14 AM
              Debbie, Xxeennexx wants to know how you know "Bang is working with
              Gil in the next issue", 'cause neither of them were depicted in issue
              11, and that preview of #12 didn't picture Bang; did you get an
              advance copy or something? And come to think of it, I want to know
              that, too...

              Also, Xeenneexx says:
              "Plus, I thought the Foglios confirmed that Zulenna, as well as
              others, were dead. If I remember correctly, they made a list of who
              was dead, as well as the statuses of other characters as well as of
              issue #10, just to eliminate some of the confusion of some of the
              readership. Besides, a dagger to the heart will kill someone almost
              instantaneously. Bang is the kind of person who would know exactly
              were to put a blade to do the murderous deed. The only way Zulenna
              could survive would be a miracle, or by becoming a construct."

              Did the Foglios actually post a list of Who's Alive/Dead that I
              missed when I skimmed the archives? If so, what's the post#?

              clear skies,
              Kimberly T.

              > Bang is working with Gil in the next issue. Ergo, Bang did not
              kill Zulenna.

            • Debbie
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3 8:47 AM
                >Debbie, Xxeennexx wants to know how you know "Bang is working with
                >Gil in the next issue", 'cause neither of them were depicted in issue
                >11, and that preview of #12 didn't picture Bang; did you get an
                >advance copy or something? And come to think of it, I want to know
                >that, too...

                1) Kaja teased us around the time #11 came out that she was working on the
                scene where Bang and Gil find.... I assume they find Agatha's crashed
                airship. I have speculated that the corpse of the other woman is tricked
                out in Agatha's clothes and buried in a conveniently located cairn or
                shallow grave for them to find to throw anyone without a Jaeger's senses of
                the trail. But I don't know if they have time to find that in #12 because:

                2) Bang and Zeetha are sceduled to have a throwdown that lasts at least
                through #13.

                It doesn't matter that Bang is a superb tracker without a Jaeger's
                inhibitions about hunting Heterodynes. If she killed a Student, and then
                was let out with the Star Student as it were, it would send all kinds of
                wrong messages to the rest of the crew.

                The only explanation I can see for that one qualifies as Too Baroque to
                Mention, but since you asked, it's that Gil was planning on finding Agatha,
                ditching his airship pilot (Bang) and running away, and chose Bang because
                no one would mourn her loss. Of course that would be very cold-blooded on
                Gil's part, and Klaus ought to be able to figure it out and stop it (if he
                wanted to -- if he didn't decide to let it become another Test) so you can
                see why I labeled it Too Baroque.

                Debbie
                http://www.brigidsforge.com
                Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

                "He hasn't been the same since his spirit guide discovered object-oriented
                programming."

              • Cyfarwydd
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13 12:58 AM
                  > The only explanation I can see for that one qualifies as Too Baroque to
                  > Mention, but since you asked, it's that Gil was planning on finding
                  Agatha,
                  > ditching his airship pilot (Bang) and running away, and chose Bang because
                  > no one would mourn her loss. Of course that would be very cold-blooded on
                  > Gil's part, and Klaus ought to be able to figure it out and stop it (if he
                  > wanted to -- if he didn't decide to let it become another Test) so you can
                  > see why I labeled it Too Baroque.
                  >
                  > Debbie

                  Well, Bang could be running away from the Wrath of Klaus (good one!),
                  and Gil wants to run away & look for Agatha, so they could end up escaping
                  together as a matter of convenience or expedience. But it did sound more
                  like they were on assignment to me, although I have wild & offensive
                  delusions so don't go by me.

                  Prosaically,
                  Cyfarwydd