What About the Jagers?

  • Joseph Riggs
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
      Something that's been nagging at me off and on since yesterday...

      We now have a pretty good idea of what Zola (or more accurately her backers) plans to do and how she intends to pull it off. But there's one little problem that hasn't been addressed yet.

      Specifically, what does she intend to do about the Jagers?

      They'll instantly know that she's not a real Heterodyne, and as a result they'll probably refuse to follow her (following the Baron allows them to pretend that they're waiting for a new Heterodyne heir; following a pretend Heterodyne would probably be seen as akin to blasmephy for a religious person). What do Zola's backers plan to do when the entire body of Jagers basically says, "You're not a Heterodyne!"

      Eumerin
    • jwhouk
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Riggs <eumerin@...> wrote:

        > Something that's been nagging at me off and on since yesterday...
        >
        > We now have a pretty good idea of what Zola (or more accurately her
        backers) plans to do and how she intends to pull it off. But there's
        one little problem that hasn't been addressed yet.

        > Specifically, what does she intend to do about the Jagers?
        >
        > They'll instantly know that she's not a real Heterodyne, and as a
        result they'll probably refuse to follow her (following the Baron
        allows them to pretend that they're waiting for a new Heterodyne heir;
        following a pretend Heterodyne would probably be seen as akin to
        blasmephy for a religious person). What do Zola's backers plan to do
        when the entire body of Jagers basically says, "You're not a Heterodyne!"

        ...Run like crazy?
      • Donald Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Mar 2, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Joseph Riggs wrote:

          > Something that's been nagging at me off and on since yesterday...
          >
          > We now have a pretty good idea of what Zola (or more accurately her
          > backers) plans to do and how she intends to pull it off. But there's
          > one little problem that hasn't been addressed yet.
          >
          > Specifically, what does she intend to do about the Jagers?
          >
          > They'll instantly know that she's not a real Heterodyne, and as a
          > result they'll probably refuse to follow her (following the Baron
          > allows them to pretend that they're waiting for a new Heterodyne
          > heir; following a pretend Heterodyne would probably be seen as akin
          > to blasmephy for a religious person). What do Zola's backers plan to
          > do when the entire body of Jagers basically says, "You're not a
          > Heterodyne!"

          I'm guessing it's something they hadn't considered. The knowledge
          that the Jagers can smell a Heterodyne doesn't seem widely known. So
          they're expect the Jagers, once Zola has control of Castle Heterodyne,
          to accept her.

        • brellchild
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
            > I'm guessing it's something they hadn't considered. The knowledge
            > that the Jagers can smell a Heterodyne doesn't seem widely known.
            > So
            > they're expect the Jagers, once Zola has control of Castle
            > Heterodyne,
            > to accept her.

            A very good point. It looked a lot like Klaus didn't
            know this fact, so I think we can safely assume the
            Fifty and their agents don't.

            I think we can also assume Gil will shortly ask a
            question on this very subject. It seems a logical
            question, and Zola (and her backers) must have considered
            it.

            Do you suppose somewhere off-screen the Jaegergenerals
            are in secret negotiations with the Fifty? The Fifty might
            assume the Jaegerhorde follows their (the Generals') lead
            enough that the Generals could order them to follow a
            false heir.

            Come to think of it...

            My WAG of the day:

            The Generals, knowing that Agatha is going to need every
            last bit of help she can get, want to get the entire
            Jaegerhorde to Mechanicsburg. If nothing else just to
            keep the town from getting destroyed while she is fixing
            the Castle.

            But they *can't* use Wulfenbach transportation because
            Klaus is way too good not to spot it and figure out what
            is going on.

            They cut a deal with the Fifty - or so the Fifty think -
            to back the fake heir. This gets the Horde to
            Mechanicsburg, whereupon they promptly reveal they were
            on Agatha's side the whole time. And eat the Fifty.
          • Blaine DeLancey
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Riggs <eumerin@...> wrote:

              > Specifically, what does she intend to do about the Jagers?
              >
              > They'll instantly know that she's not a real Heterodyne, and as a
              result they'll probably refuse to follow her (following the Baron
              allows them to pretend that they're waiting for a new Heterodyne heir;
              following a pretend Heterodyne would probably be seen as akin to
              blasmephy for a religious person). What do Zola's backers plan to do
              when the entire body of Jagers basically says, "You're not a Heterodyne!"

              > Eumerin

              It doesn't seem to be commonly known that Jaegers can smell a
              Heterodyne. The conspirators are most likely assuming that once she's
              installed as the Hetereodyne the Jaegers will serve her as loyally as
              they've always served the house. If they'd gotten that far, the
              lesson would have been very painful.
            • B.J. Herbison
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@...> wrote:

                > > The knowledge
                > > that the Jagers can smell a Heterodyne doesn't seem widely known.
                >
                > I think we can also assume Gil will shortly ask a
                > question on this very subject. It seems a logical
                > question, and Zola (and her backers) must have considered
                > it.

                Why would he ask. She said she was the Lady Heterodyne, and Gil
                hasn't been contesting that statement. To question her about the
                Jägers reaction to her smell would be questioning her statement.
              • jwhouk
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blaine DeLancey"
                  <blainedelancey@...> wrote:
                  <snipping>
                  > It doesn't seem to be commonly known that Jaegers can smell a
                  > Heterodyne. The conspirators are most likely assuming that once she's
                  > installed as the Hetereodyne the Jaegers will serve her as loyally as
                  > they've always served the house. If they'd gotten that far, the
                  > lesson would have been very painful.

                  I'm wondering if it's something that ONLY the Jaegers know. Think
                  about it: the side effect of the true Jaegertroth "ritual" is that you
                  can smell Heterodyne blood - and ONLY Heterodynes. It would tie in to
                  how Agatha got the castle to "recognize" her; somehow, old Faustus
                  figured out how to do it in people, so his "heirs" would have a
                  ready-made army once they occupied DK.

                  And, if ONLY the Jaegers know they can "smell" Heterodynes... oh my,
                  Zola's gonna be in BIG trouble.

                  Now comes the part that will REALLY determine whether this becomes a
                  plot line: when does the Doom Bell ring?
                • brellchild
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
                    > > I think we can also assume Gil will shortly ask a
                    > > question on this very subject. It seems a logical
                    > > question, and Zola (and her backers) must have considered
                    > > it.
                    >
                    > Why would he ask. She said she was the Lady Heterodyne, and Gil
                    > hasn't been contesting that statement. To question her about the
                    > Jägers reaction to her smell would be questioning her statement.

                    More like "What if the Jaegers don't accept you?" was
                    what I was thinking.I'm not entirely sure if even Gil
                    knows about the smell trigger. He certainly has the
                    pieces, but has he put it together?
                  • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2009
                      On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 02:44:18PM -0000, jwhouk wrote:
                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blaine DeLancey"
                      > <blainedelancey@...> wrote:
                      > > It doesn't seem to be commonly known that Jaegers can smell a
                      > > Heterodyne.

                      > I'm wondering if it's something that ONLY the Jaegers know.

                      I think someone else pointed out that not even all the
                      Jägers seem to know; in particular, the Wulfenbach Jägers
                      (apart from the Generals, especially Zog) who interacted
                      with her. I thought maybe it was because they didn't know
                      what a female Heterodyne smelled like, but that doesn't jibe
                      well with da Boyz being able to detect her.

                      > Now comes the part that will REALLY determine whether this becomes a
                      > plot line: when does the Doom Bell ring?

                      Well, when the Heterodyne is in residence. This is verified
                      by three independent systems: (1) the isolated central brain
                      which recognizes "his" voice (or, in absence of a known
                      Heterodyne master, a spark's command voice); (2) the chapel
                      intelligence, which may very well track the Heterodyne's
                      smell, and in the case of a new one, verify the blood.

                      And (3) we don't know yet. It seems likely that the trigger
                      (vs. sparky voice and familial blood) will be Heterodyning
                      itself. I am guessing that the room Gil & co. are in now is
                      its principal location. (Also, I have long maintained that
                      Tarvek can reproduce the Heterodyning, but it doesn't look
                      like it's going to be relevant here.)

                      With each of (1) and (2) there was also an immediate
                      consequence. For (1) it was simply that Diamant, who
                      presumably was one of the last holdouts, swore fealty to
                      Agatha (also, I think any remaining doubts Carson had had
                      were swept away). For (2) it was a greatly expanded
                      internal activity (the bridge back) and the launch of the
                      torchmen. ("Carry a torch"... get it?)

                      It occurs to me to expect that the consequence of the third
                      major system recognizing Agatha will be that the full Castle
                      defenses (in particular, the screamer guns) come on-line;
                      for maximum dramatic impact this should happen just as Klaus
                      has given the order to raze the Castle. If the third
                      verifier is, in fact, also the nexus connecting the "heart",
                      "brain", and "body", then most of the rest of the Castle
                      should become functional as well; it should be able to
                      self-heal the remaining damage.

                      Oh, and the Doom Bell will ring.
                    • Del
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2009
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 02:44:18PM -0000, jwhouk wrote:
                        > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Blaine DeLancey"
                        > > <blainedelancey@> wrote:
                        > > > It doesn't seem to be commonly known that Jaegers can smell a
                        > > > Heterodyne.
                        >
                        > > I'm wondering if it's something that ONLY the Jaegers know.
                        >
                        > I think someone else pointed out that not even all the
                        > Jägers seem to know; in particular, the Wulfenbach Jägers
                        > (apart from the Generals, especially Zog) who interacted
                        > with her. I thought maybe it was because they didn't know
                        > what a female Heterodyne smelled like, but that doesn't jibe
                        > well with da Boyz being able to detect her.

                        I think the Jägers may be similar to the castle; the Jägers who collected her from the shop didn't interact with her:

                        But Maxim, Dimo, and Oggie had not only smell (and their basic mandate, the reason they were "wild"):

                        And some intense visual inspection:

                        But also some (not mad place, but still) command voice and decision:

                        Even so, we see that Maxim needs a little reminder of his "place":

                        Sparky mad-place voice included, no charge.

                        The Jägers back at the shop also had close to two decades of non-Heterodyne focus, while the Generals likely are ever vigilant (and lots older/wiser). The Generals also like to argue, which offers the hilarity needed to put off a "Yo, Klaus, The Heterodynes Are Back" confrontation on CW.