Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Looking for van Rijn

  • Joseph Riggs
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 2, 2009
      --- On Mon, 3/2/09, jwhouk <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > From: jwhouk <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [Girl Genius] Re: Looking for van Rijn
      > To: girlgenius@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 2:54 PM
      >
      > I keep having this nagging feeling - maybe call it
      > Chekov's Gun
      > Syndrome - that this is going to be the long-term
      > "goal" of Girl
      > Genius. The real reason why the Storm King and the
      > Heterodyne heir
      > were to "unite Europa" was to repair and restore
      > the Muses.
      >
      > Which, after it was finally done, would end up to be a
      > Basically Bad
      > Idea...

      That doesn't really make sense, though. The Muses were given to the Storm King (or at least made for him). The prophecy was made while the Storm King was still alive, and ergo before the Muses had been split up. Hence a manipulative prophecy designed to bring the Muses back together would seem out of place since the Muses were still together at the time that the prophecy was made.

      And since we're on the topic...

      My own guess is that the "Spirit of Europa" is, in fact, Agatha looking through yet another time window with either Gil or Tarvek (or maybe both - take your pick) and one of them says, "Say, isn't this roughly about the time when the Spirit of Europa makes her prophecy that... blah blah blah." And a half-asleep Storm King misunderstands what's going on.

      :P

      And my wacky, wild, waaaaaay out there hypothesis...

      Van Rijn is a time-lost Tarvek.

      /innocent whistle

      Eumerin
    • aiwanar
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2009
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

        > The new "Anevka" head is much more expressive than the old
        > one, and the old one seemed very similar to Tinka's and
        > Moxana's. I suppose you could say he is standing on the
        > shoulders of a giant, but he certainly seems to have
        > advanced the state of the art for the first time *since*
        > RvR.

        Do we know that van Rijn couldn't have made an equally expressive face if he thought it was important? And do we know how 'smart' a Tarvek-made clank brain is compared to a van Rinj-made clank brain? Our knowledge of tech in the GG universe in general is pretty limited. That he could figure anything out at all says quite a bit about Tarvek's abilities, but I think the conclusive proof of his relative rank is still to be seen. As you say, what he's done so far is rather derivative.

        > No, I think she was only depressed. Tinka's symptoms showed
        > up after he built Anevka, so he *assumed* he had made a
        > mistake, but he couldn't find it. Once Tinka and Moxana
        > were together again, they both immediately operated much
        > better.

        When Tinka first appears, Tarvek strongly implies that he caused the problem.

        "As you can see, she can walk and talk. But there is something wrong and I cannot figure it out. I-I feel like I owe her."

        and then

        "I will repair her."

        That sure sounds like he caused the problems in the process of examining her, rather than like it was something that just 'developed' later.

        > Right, but Tarvek is a tragic figure. He's basically a good
        > guy who is being "forced" into doing evil by his own
        > circumstances and sense of duty, etc.

        Yes, I agree that he is pretty clearly a flawed 'anti-hero' type in the Elric mode. Growing up in a culture saturated with evil, he is 'cursed with a conscience' and wants to reject it, but cannot figure out how to do so. He is so acculturated to the evil that he cannot distinguish the good and evil in himself, or even separate his goals from his methods, and unconsciously uses the wrong methods even in trying to resist evil. His manipulation of Agatha has clearly made her resent him, even if she currently pities him a bit for his injured and confused state. He could yet be the cause of, or at least the means of, more bad things occurring for Agatha.