Re: Looking for van Rijn

  • jwhouk
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 2, 2009
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)"
      <zarchne@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:52:52PM -0000, aiwanar wrote:

      <MAJOR snippage>

      > > This possibility has interesting implications for Tarvek's talent. It
      > > sure looks like he is a world class spark already, and he's still
      > > quite young. And he might be able to understand/use many other
      > > artifacts left behind by van Rijn, who is (currently at least)
      > > considered the greatest spark in history.
      >
      > That is what he would *like* to do, to restore the Muses.

      <snipped to the end>

      I keep having this nagging feeling - maybe call it Chekov's Gun
      Syndrome - that this is going to be the long-term "goal" of Girl
      Genius. The real reason why the Storm King and the Heterodyne heir
      were to "unite Europa" was to repair and restore the Muses.

      Which, after it was finally done, would end up to be a Basically Bad
      Idea...
    • aiwanar
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 10, 2009
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...> wrote:

        > The new "Anevka" head is much more expressive than the old
        > one, and the old one seemed very similar to Tinka's and
        > Moxana's. I suppose you could say he is standing on the
        > shoulders of a giant, but he certainly seems to have
        > advanced the state of the art for the first time *since*
        > RvR.

        Do we know that van Rijn couldn't have made an equally expressive face if he thought it was important? And do we know how 'smart' a Tarvek-made clank brain is compared to a van Rinj-made clank brain? Our knowledge of tech in the GG universe in general is pretty limited. That he could figure anything out at all says quite a bit about Tarvek's abilities, but I think the conclusive proof of his relative rank is still to be seen. As you say, what he's done so far is rather derivative.

        > No, I think she was only depressed. Tinka's symptoms showed
        > up after he built Anevka, so he *assumed* he had made a
        > mistake, but he couldn't find it. Once Tinka and Moxana
        > were together again, they both immediately operated much
        > better.

        When Tinka first appears, Tarvek strongly implies that he caused the problem.

        "As you can see, she can walk and talk. But there is something wrong and I cannot figure it out. I-I feel like I owe her."

        and then

        "I will repair her."

        That sure sounds like he caused the problems in the process of examining her, rather than like it was something that just 'developed' later.

        > Right, but Tarvek is a tragic figure. He's basically a good
        > guy who is being "forced" into doing evil by his own
        > circumstances and sense of duty, etc.

        Yes, I agree that he is pretty clearly a flawed 'anti-hero' type in the Elric mode. Growing up in a culture saturated with evil, he is 'cursed with a conscience' and wants to reject it, but cannot figure out how to do so. He is so acculturated to the evil that he cannot distinguish the good and evil in himself, or even separate his goals from his methods, and unconsciously uses the wrong methods even in trying to resist evil. His manipulation of Agatha has clearly made her resent him, even if she currently pities him a bit for his injured and confused state. He could yet be the cause of, or at least the means of, more bad things occurring for Agatha.