Early LJ posts

  • akgreentea
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 23, 2009
      For several of the last updates, the live journal official site (not
      the fan site) has had the latest page several hours early. Would it be
      against the rules to reference the page if officially posted on LJ but
      not on the main site, or would it be against the rules, like posts
      using the sneaky gate are? Would it be fine if the post warns of spoilers?
    • Joseph Cotton
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 23, 2009
        > For several of the last updates, the live journal official site (not
        > the fan site) has had the latest page several hours early. Would it be
        > against the rules to reference the page if officially posted on LJ but
        > not on the main site, or would it be against the rules, like posts
        > using the sneaky gate are? Would it be fine if the post warns of spoilers?

        Speaking for just myself, I would prefer that people not use the time posted to the LJ site as the "official" time to no longer worry about spoilers, as I don't use LJ and don't want to have to start checking a new site.
        Joseph M. Cotton sylvaton@...

        Random movie quote #114:
        "You give mercenaries a bad name."
        Correctly identify the quote and win a US 50-cent piece!
        Only $4.99 shipping and handling to claim your prize.
        Hail Eris!
      • Amanda L. Servello
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 24, 2009

          > For several of the last updates, the live journal official site (not
          > the fan site) has had the latest page several hours early. Would it be
          > against the rules to reference the page if officially posted on LJ but
          > not on the main site, or would it be against the rules, like posts
          > using the sneaky gate are? Would it be fine if the post warns of spoilers?

          I'm no kind of official, but how about putting spoiler space for at least 24
          hours after you see it?

          Totally safe, easy, and won't accidentally mess someone up?

        • spydermon73
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 26, 2009
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "akgreentea" <akgreentea@...> wrote:

            > For several of the last updates, the live journal official site (not
            > the fan site) has had the latest page several hours early. Would it be
            > against the rules to reference the page if officially posted on LJ but
            > not on the main site, or would it be against the rules, like posts
            > using the sneaky gate are? Would it be fine if the post warns of
            spoilers?

            What's the sneaky gate?
          • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 26, 2009
              On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:48:19AM -0000, spydermon73 wrote:
              > What's the sneaky gate?

              It's the gate that da Boyz and Jenka brought Gil into
              Mechanicsburg through, at the same time Vole was coming out.
              I have a theory it works like a limited version of the Great
              Glass Elevator in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (but with
              door for either side of the wall.

              If you want more info, I suggest you check out the wiki,

              http://girlgenius.wikia.com/
            • akgreentea
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "spydermon73" <comicreader@...> wrote:

                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "akgreentea" <akgreentea@> wrote:
                > >
                > > For several of the last updates, the live journal official site (not
                > > the fan site) has had the latest page several hours early. Would it be
                > > against the rules to reference the page if officially posted on LJ but
                > > not on the main site, or would it be against the rules, like posts
                > > using the sneaky gate are? Would it be fine if the post warns of
                > spoilers?
                > >

                > What's the sneaky gate?

                It's the fan nickname for an evil diabolical misuse of computer
                science that sometimes allows people to see the comic before it has
                been officially posted. We do not use such perversions here, unlike
                the LJ fan site. Besides, its use usually has the opposite effect of
                the intended one, since now have to wait longer for the next update.
              • akgreentea
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)"
                    <zarchne@...> wrote:

                    > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:48:19AM -0000, spydermon73 wrote:
                    > > What's the sneaky gate?
                    >
                    > It's the gate that da Boyz and Jenka brought Gil into
                    > Mechanicsburg through, at the same time Vole was coming out.
                    > I have a theory it works like a limited version of the Great
                    > Glass Elevator in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (but with
                    > door for either side of the wall.
                    >
                    > If you want more info, I suggest you check out the wiki,
                    >
                    > http://girlgenius.wikia.com/

                    I know what the sneaky gate is in the comics, and I think your wrong
                    BTW, its just a plain hidden entrance to Mama G's. Nothing fancy about it.

                    I meant the sneaky gate that lets some people get the new pages early,
                    and thanks to google I found that too.
                  • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                      On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 01:10:59PM -0000, spydermon73 wrote:
                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)"
                      > <zarchne@...> wrote:
                      > > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:48:19AM -0000, spydermon73 wrote:
                      > > > What's the sneaky gate?

                      > > I have a theory it works like a limited version of the Great
                      > > Glass Elevator in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (but with
                      > > door for either side of the wall.

                      > I know what the sneaky gate is in the comics, and I think your wrong
                      > BTW, its just a plain hidden entrance to Mama G's. Nothing fancy about it.

                      And why is that preferred? I feel it doesn't multiply
                      entities in violation of Master Okham's second dictum,
                      because the Great Glass Elevator already exists in fiction
                      and there are many (if subtle) cultural references in Girl
                      Genius, and the ability for Castle Heterodyne to alter its
                      geometry, at least within a limited volume of space, is well
                      established. And it explains, rather than explaining away,
                      the literal sense of the exchange between Gil and Maxim
                      about it. Furthermore, while an opening that passes
                      entirely through the wall but moves around would seem less
                      likely -- than one in a fixed location -- to enable
                      coincidences of the kind that immediately occurs, this sort
                      of coincidence is made *more* likely by an elevator-type
                      device that gets called to various locations letting
                      passengers in and out.

                      (And BTW, I knew how to interpret your question in context,
                      but occasionally I deem it preferable to give oblique
                      answers.)
                    • John Savard
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "akgreentea" <akgreentea@...> wrote:

                        > We do not use such perversions here, unlike
                        > the LJ fan site.

                        I'm not aware of a LiveJournal "fan site" as opposed to the
                        LiveJournal "official site" that displays the GG pages. The one LJ site
                        that does display the pages, girlgeniuscomic, is an official site: Kaja
                        runs it, and she has been putting the pages up early on a few recent
                        occasions so that she could head to bed earlier given her recent
                        illness.

                        So visiting that LJ page doesn't involve participation in an act of
                        computer hacking in any way, shape, or form.
                      • akgreentea
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "John Savard" <savardj@...> wrote:

                          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "akgreentea" <akgreentea@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > We do not use such perversions here, unlike
                          > > the LJ fan site.
                          >
                          > I'm not aware of a LiveJournal "fan site" as opposed to the
                          > LiveJournal "official site" that displays the GG pages. The one LJ site
                          > that does display the pages, girlgeniuscomic, is an official site: Kaja
                          > runs it, and she has been putting the pages up early on a few recent
                          > occasions so that she could head to bed earlier given her recent
                          > illness.
                          >
                          > So visiting that LJ page doesn't involve participation in an act of
                          > computer hacking in any way, shape, or form.

                          The fansite has the address of girlgenius_lab and the name of Agatha's
                          Minion's Journal. Like here and the official site, people go there to
                          discuss the latest comic strips and girl genius related goodness.
                        • John Savard
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "akgreentea" <akgreentea@...> wrote:

                            > The fansite has the address of girlgenius_lab and the name of Agatha's
                            > Minion's Journal.

                            Oh, I'm well aware of that fan site; I'm active there. But the pages
                            aren't displayed there, unlike on Kaja's girlgeniuscomic site.
                          • spydermon73
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                              <zarchne@...> wrote:

                              > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 01:10:59PM -0000, spydermon73 wrote:
                              > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)"
                              > > <zarchne@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > > I have a theory it works like a limited version of the Great
                              > > > Glass Elevator in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (but with
                              > > > door for either side of the wall.
                              >
                              > > I know what the sneaky gate is in the comics, and I think your wrong
                              > > BTW, its just a plain hidden entrance to Mama G's. Nothing fancy
                              about it.

                              > And why is that preferred? I feel it doesn't multiply
                              > entities in violation of Master Okham's second dictum,
                              > because the Great Glass Elevator already exists in fiction
                              > and there are many (if subtle) cultural references in Girl
                              > Genius, and the ability for Castle Heterodyne to alter its
                              > geometry, at least within a limited volume of space, is well
                              > established. And it explains, rather than explaining away,
                              > the literal sense of the exchange between Gil and Maxim
                              > about it. Furthermore, while an opening that passes
                              > entirely through the wall but moves around would seem less
                              > likely -- than one in a fixed location -- to enable
                              > coincidences of the kind that immediately occurs, this sort
                              > of coincidence is made *more* likely by an elevator-type
                              > device that gets called to various locations letting
                              > passengers in and out.
                              >
                              > (And BTW, I knew how to interpret your question in context,
                              > but occasionally I deem it preferable to give oblique
                              > answers.)

                              I still think you're over thinking this. The sneaky gate could simply
                              be a gate that is there when it is open and is not there when it is
                              closed.
                            • akgreentea
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "John Savard" <savardj@...> wrote:

                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "akgreentea" <akgreentea@> wrote:
                                >
                                > > The fansite has the address of girlgenius_lab and the name of Agatha's
                                > > Minion's Journal.
                                >
                                > Oh, I'm well aware of that fan site; I'm active there. But the pages
                                > aren't displayed there, unlike on Kaja's girlgeniuscomic site.

                                But they are frequently referenced and linked to. Sometimes the link
                                will go to the sneaky gate version of the page.
                              • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 28, 2009
                                  On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 02:58:54AM -0000, spydermon73 wrote:
                                  > I still think you're over thinking this. The sneaky gate could simply
                                  > be a gate that is there when it is open and is not there when it is
                                  > closed.

                                  Ah grasshopper... jumping spider... whatever... if you
                                  persevere, you too will learn the ways of mad science.

                                  ... for which it is a glorious day!
                                • Sea Change
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 5, 2009
                                    Akgreentea asked:

                                    > For several of the last updates, the live journal official site has had the latest page several hours early. Would it be
                                    > against the rules to reference the page if officially posted on LJ but
                                    > not on the main site, or would it be against the rules, like posts
                                    > using the sneaky gate are? Would it be fine if the post warns of spoilers?

                                    __________________

                                    Sea Change replies:

                                    Hmm, I must have missed this, and none of
                                    the other moderators seems to have answered it
                                    yet.

                                    My own feeling, which I will check with them,
                                    is that it is unfair to require people to log into
                                    or get an account at LJ just to read this list
                                    spoiler-free.

                                    Yours in Science
                                    Sea Change
                                    Moderator
                                  • John Savard
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 5, 2009
                                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Sea Change" <nakedkali@...> wrote:

                                      > My own feeling, which I will check with them,
                                      > is that it is unfair to require people to log into
                                      > or get an account at LJ just to read this list
                                      > spoiler-free.

                                      As an ordinary user, not a moderator, I will tell you that I heartily agree with this sentiment. However, I wish to correct a fact you appear to have assumed.

                                      Unlike Facebook, nobody needs an account to view (the) LiveJournal pages (in question; it's possible to make an LJ page or some of its content visible only to your friends on LJ). I eventually got an account there, but only in order to post comments to the pages.