Re: Missing Dingbot [Girl Genius]

  • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
      On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 09:13:52PM -0800, Erin C. wrote:
      > I can beat that. My new cabin doesn't have a phone line and almost
      > certainly never will.

      I'm not sure that necessarily counts for much anymore. At
      the time, mobile phones were not yet ubiquitous. You were
      at the ranch, you could not be reached (except by CB radio,
      which also wasn't in range of a station with telephone
      service). My mother-in-law bought a house in town a couple
      of years back and never had a phone installed, either.
      Before my father-in-law died they were living out their
      retirement in a travel trailer, rotating between kids'
      driveways.

      (I don't consider myself to own a "television", although
      I've had a tunerless video capture card for a while and now
      there are a couple of monitors around... one on loan from
      the same mother-in-law, one I bought partly as a portable
      VGA monitor to ease administration of normally headless
      servers... that I guess could be set to receive
      broadcasts... although I guess that's supposed to stop being
      the case Real Soon Now? It will be nice to be able to go
      back to saying "I don't have a television" without feeling
      like I'm not being completely honest.)

      > Nor does it have an indoor toilet or
      > electricity, at least until I hook the Harris wheel and solar panels
      > up. :)

      Well, sure, now living off-grid and being able to use that
      as evidence of one's carbon-neutrality would have a certain
      cachet.