Re: Missing Dingbot [Girl Genius]

  • Erin C.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2009
      On 1/31/09, Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan) <zarchne@...> wrote:
      > And I'm mostly a suburbanite. But I did spend time on
      > Grandpa's ranch. Said ranch did not receive electricity
      > until 1963, so there is still living memory of a
      > gasoline-powered washing machine (not to mention the absence
      > of an indoor toilet) in, for instance, my father. I think
      > telephone arrived in 1988. Yes, this is in one of the lower
      > 48 US states!

      I can beat that. My new cabin doesn't have a phone line and almost
      certainly never will. Nor does it have an indoor toilet or
      electricity, at least until I hook the Harris wheel and solar panels
      up. :)

      But that's nothing. I know people who have to hike a few miles from a
      road to get to their places. And others who can't be accessed except
      by boat!

      Despite this of course, we've still heard of laptops and satellite
      internet. And oil cans of the type being described.

      ern
      Yes, this place is weird.
      --
      "I want to be the minority,
      I don't need your authority,
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 5:36 AM
        On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 09:13:52PM -0800, Erin C. wrote:
        > I can beat that. My new cabin doesn't have a phone line and almost
        > certainly never will.

        I'm not sure that necessarily counts for much anymore. At
        the time, mobile phones were not yet ubiquitous. You were
        at the ranch, you could not be reached (except by CB radio,
        which also wasn't in range of a station with telephone
        service). My mother-in-law bought a house in town a couple
        of years back and never had a phone installed, either.
        Before my father-in-law died they were living out their
        retirement in a travel trailer, rotating between kids'
        driveways.

        (I don't consider myself to own a "television", although
        I've had a tunerless video capture card for a while and now
        there are a couple of monitors around... one on loan from
        the same mother-in-law, one I bought partly as a portable
        VGA monitor to ease administration of normally headless
        servers... that I guess could be set to receive
        broadcasts... although I guess that's supposed to stop being
        the case Real Soon Now? It will be nice to be able to go
        back to saying "I don't have a television" without feeling
        like I'm not being completely honest.)

        > Nor does it have an indoor toilet or
        > electricity, at least until I hook the Harris wheel and solar panels
        > up. :)

        Well, sure, now living off-grid and being able to use that
        as evidence of one's carbon-neutrality would have a certain
        cachet.