Old educator here.

  • mjteegarden
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
      I is an English teacher, high school level, including an AP class each
      year. So naturally today I first bluffed myself (Whazzat word
      "callypygian?" Ha! I can use context to figger that word out!). So
      I didn't. Looked it up, what I did. Then laughed my own
      non-callypygian butt off whilst reading the rest of today's entry. :)

      PS: And, given now is just about time for our school's science fair, I
      have extra chuckles on-hand now for my times helping my own students
      with their own hopefully-not-miniaturized-volcano entries. :P

      PPS: Where do I get my own Shakespeare fish? This a relative of the
      Babel fish or what? :P
    • Douglas LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
        I is an English teacher, high school level, including an AP class each
        year. So naturally today I first bluffed myself (Whazzat word
        "callypygian?" Ha! I can use context to figger that word out!). So
        I didn't. Looked it up, what I did. Then laughed my own
        non-callypygian butt off whilst reading the rest of today's entry. :)

        No reply here.

        I'm just going to use "callypygian" in no less than 5 official corporate emails.

        DL
        Whose other favorite word is "swive" and is bummed that it didn't make into the 21st like its 4 letter brethren.

      • Andrew Beals
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
          On 2008-nov-30, at 21:15, Douglas LeBlanc wrote:

          > Whose other favorite word is "swive" and is bummed that it didn't
          > make into the 21st like its 4 letter brethren.

          Yet it was moribund long before the twentieth, and Playboy's attempt
          to revive it in the sixties or seventies (I think it was the
          seventies) appears to have failed.
        • JYOTI FRITCH
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2008
            DLWhose other favorite word is "swive" and is bummed that it didn't make into the 21st like its 4 letter brethren.

            heh heh heh... I am totally going to ask my baby sister's new BF if he's swived her yet...

            JyotiShe who loves old and odd words ^.^
          • Dimo Jager
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
              mjteegarden wrote:
              > I is an English teacher, high school level....

              I hope this is not true, I fear it is.
            • John Savard
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dimo Jager" <dimo.jager@...> wrote:
                > mjteegarden wrote:

                > > I is an English teacher, high school level....

                > I hope this is not true, I fear it is.

                It should be noted that in some quarters, it is considered acceptable
                to not worry about typographical errors of spelling or grammar in
                Internet postings. There's also the possibility of a sort of wry irony
                being attempted here... or even the teaching of English as a foreign
                language to high school students in the Netherlands, for that matter.
              • littlerobbergirl
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dimo Jager" <dimo.jager@...> wrote:

                  > mjteegarden wrote:
                  > > I is an English teacher, high school level....
                  >
                  > I hope this is not true, I fear it is.

                  goodness me, cant you spot a joke?
                  i too looked up the word, and did 2 hours wood hauling today in an
                  attempt to get mine back in its original cayphigian state.
                • littlerobbergirl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "littlerobbergirl"
                    <little.robbergirl@...> wrote:

                    > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dimo Jager" <dimo.jager@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > mjteegarden wrote:
                    > > > I is an English teacher, high school level....
                    > >
                    > > I hope this is not true, I fear it is.
                    > >
                    > goodness me, cant you spot a joke?
                    > i too looked up the word, and did 2 hours wood hauling today in an
                    > attempt to get mine back in its original cayphigian state.

                    rats! rubbish typing. callyphigian. caliphigyan. whatever.
                  • Steven Rewa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mjteegarden" <mjteegarden@...>
                      wrote:

                      > (Whazzat word
                      > "callypygian?" Ha! I can use context to figger that word out!). So
                      > I didn't. Looked it up, what I did. Then laughed my own
                      > non-callypygian butt off whilst reading the rest of today's entry. :)

                      Agatha must have hired a good auditor to get such an accurate
                      assessment of her assets.

                      -Stev

                      assessment of assets
                    • Andrew Beals
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                        On 2008-dec-01, at 15:01, Steven Rewa wrote:

                        > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mjteegarden" <mjteegarden@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >>
                        >> (Whazzat word
                        >> "callypygian?" Ha! I can use context to figger that word out!). So
                        >> I didn't. Looked it up, what I did. Then laughed my own
                        >> non-callypygian butt off whilst reading the rest of today's
                        >> entry. :)
                        >
                        > Agatha must have hired a good auditor to get such an accurate
                        > assessment of her assets.

                        So long as they didn't procrastinate.

                        Wouldn't want to get behind in your work.
                      • Knight of the Star
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                          >> Agatha must have hired a good auditor to get such an accurate

                          >> assessment of her assets.

                          >So long as they didn't procrastinate.

                          >Wouldn't want to get behind in your work.

                          I am calling the Pun Police, we need a SWAT team here.

                          Lonehawkboy

                        • Baralier
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
                            > From: littlerobbergirl
                            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dimo Jager" <dimo.jager@...> wrote:
                            > > mjteegarden wrote:
                            > > > I is an English teacher, high school level....
                            > >
                            > > I hope this is not true, I fear it is.
                            > >
                            > goodness me, cant you spot a joke?

                            Jokes are usually funny. Or at least provide context to imply they're funny
                            even if they are only cringeworthy.

                            Baralier
                            --
                            "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock phasers on
                            the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three. Christopher Robin,