kg112_2000, where are you???

  • tomreedtoon
    Message 1 of 774 , Jan 8, 2002
      kg112_2000, you won a prize from me, for that
      correct answer to the question. You did not include an
      e-mail address with your profile, so I must take this
      means to contact you.<br><br>This is a real offer. I do
      not offer "vaporware" like Bill Gates would. A tape
      with over an hour of great cartoons, plus some amusing
      visual jokes, and a 15 minute pre-show with an animation
      quiz and two great songs by Bubba "Whoopass" Wilson,
      is waiting for you. I just need you to mail me your
      actual, real, postal address. (Hopefully you have a real
      mailbox that's large enough to hold a VHS tape.)<br><br>I
      do not spam or mess around with other people's
      addresses. You can get my e-mail address from my Yahoo Clubs
      profile page, or simply send your address to
      hatemail@... (although this system probably won't provide a
      clickable link for that address).
    • tomreedtoon
      Message 774 of 774 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In girlgenius@y..., "m_randalt" <m_randalt@y...> wrote:
        > I wonder if the Mads of Agatha's
        > world even bother with fillings, or just grow another set of teeth!

        > Like sharks or dinosaurs.

        Well, in our world (up to around 1920 or so...any dentists out there
        could contribute the real date) there were no fillings. If you had a
        cavity, you waited until it started hurting, then you pulled the
        tooth. When you lost enough teeth, they'd pull them all and give you
        dentures made of ivory.

        It took them that long to come up with an amalgam (which I take it to
        be a combination of low melting-point metals) that you could pour into
        a tooth cavity without killing the patient. There wasn't much chance
        to prevent cavities, since toothbrushes weren't common and toothpaste
        was nonexistant.

        And if you're thinking that mercury fillings are bad...well, I once
        had a dentist (who later got his license lifted for malpractice) who
        gave me all plastic fillings, saying they'd look natural. Sure did,
        until the fillings (which he didn't tell me were temporary, but
        charged as if they were permanent) started leaking, and I ended up a
        few years later with a whole lot of root canals. Thanks, Doctor (name
        deleted for legal reasons).

        My feeling? In the Girl Genius Universe, someone has devised a way to
        pull teeth with cavities, quickly cast solid gold replacements, and
        plant them in the jaw within fifteen minutes. For a little longer wait
        they might be baked with a white enamel to look natural. Of course,
        like most machines in the GGU, the Molar-Matic is only used by a few
        Sparks, so the common people simply have a lot of gaps in their
        mouths.