Nice Hats?

  • fenriswolf001
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 1:42 AM
      This has no doubt been discussed in the past, but for those who've
      missed it:

      I was recently re-reading Eric Flint's AU novel '1633' (co-written with
      David Weber), and during a scene where a unit of Imperial Croatian
      Cavalry are raiding a town, passing reference is made both to the
      Croat's reputation for viciousness, and to their passion for 'nice
      hats'.

      Now, my question is: Is there historical reference to said passion
      which may have inspired the Foglios' envisioning the Jagers with the
      same feelings, or was this a secret kudo on the part of Flint and Weber
      to the Jagerkun? Anyone know?

      FenrisWolf
    • John Savard
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 6:08 AM
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "fenriswolf001" <bkmccrary@...> wrote:

        > passing reference is made both to the
        > Croat's reputation for viciousness, and to their passion for 'nice
        > hats'.

        Because the stereotypical accent given to the Jagers is the type of
        accent associated with Jewish immigrants from Russia, I figured the
        panel introducing Hezekiah Donowitz was intended to prevent anyone
        from theorizing that the Jagers were what the Jews ended up as in the
        GG universe.

        Given that, I am disinclined to think the Foglios had another ethnic
        group in mind instead as the Jagers' counterpart. Especially when we
        have the Serbs handy, who have misbehaved more recently.
      • royal.fire
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 7:30 AM
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "fenriswolf001" <bkmccrary@...> wrote:

          > This has no doubt been discussed in the past, but for those who've
          > missed it:
          >
          > I was recently re-reading Eric Flint's AU novel '1633' (co-written with
          > David Weber), and during a scene where a unit of Imperial Croatian
          > Cavalry are raiding a town, passing reference is made both to the
          > Croat's reputation for viciousness, and to their passion for 'nice
          > hats'.
          >
          > Now, my question is: Is there historical reference to said passion
          > which may have inspired the Foglios' envisioning the Jagers with the
          > same feelings, or was this a secret kudo on the part of Flint and Weber
          > to the Jagerkun? Anyone know?
          >
          > FenrisWolf

          That was in "1632," actually. As to the reference, it probably wasn't
          one, as I think a liking for nice hats were said to be common to most
          mercenaries in 1632. I'm not sure the timing works out for the Foglios
          referencing 1632, either.
        • Eric Oppen
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 9:30 AM
            Quoting John Savard <savardj@...>:

            > Because the stereotypical accent given to the Jagers is the type of
            > accent associated with Jewish immigrants from Russia, I figured the
            > panel introducing Hezekiah Donowitz was intended to prevent anyone
            > from theorizing that the Jagers were what the Jews ended up as in the
            > GG universe.
            >
            > Given that, I am disinclined to think the Foglios had another ethnic
            > group in mind instead as the Jagers' counterpart. Especially when we
            > have the Serbs handy, who have misbehaved more recently.

            As I understand it, the Jagers' accent is more based on the
            "Katzenjammer Kids"---who were supposed to be Germans. Of course, the
            difference between a Yiddish and a dialect-German accent in English,
            particularly written English, isn't very great---Yiddish is, itself, a
            derivative of Middle High German, IIRC.

          • John Savard
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 10:20 AM
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Eric Oppen <technomad@...> wrote:

              > As I understand it, the Jagers' accent is more based on the
              > "Katzenjammer Kids"---who were supposed to be Germans.

              In the world of comics, I tended to think that Al Capp's Lower
              Slobbovia was a closer match.