Library?

  • Luke Bretscher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
      Is that the library, or is it just a "test chamber"? Cool and creepy bone architecture, though, anyway. Maybe she has to drink from the big kylix-like thing which contains something that would kill a non-Heterodyne.

      "Boy, some grenades sure would be nice, don't you think?"
      --Jayne Cobb

    • Joel Fouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
        On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 22:04 -0700, Luke Bretscher wrote:
        > Is that the library, or is it just a "test chamber"? Cool and creepy
        > bone architecture, though, anyway. Maybe she has to drink from the big
        > kylix-like thing which contains something that would kill a
        > non-Heterodyne.

        I'm actually thinking that "get to the library" had nothing to do with
        the library itself, and under normal circumstances that door would have
        opened to a bunch of dusty books. Rather, this is the castle knowing
        which parts of itself it has full control over, and taking advantage of
        its ability to be...ah, flexible, to get her to where she can prove her
        claim or not.

        I'm also guessing the comparisons to Indiana Jones would have been
        expected and anticipated, and that whatever the test is going to be
        it'll be news to us.

        - Joel

      • Dale Friesen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
          On Jul-6-08, at 10:04 PM, Luke Bretscher wrote:

          > Is that the library, or is it just a "test chamber"? Cool and creepy
          > bone architecture, though, anyway. Maybe she has to drink from the
          > big kylix-like thing which contains something that would kill a non-
          > Heterodyne.

          I think that it's a DNA test and she'll need to give a blood sample
          into that bowl.

          Dale
        • Thomas Sounness
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Dale Friesen <dale@...> wrote:

            > On Jul-6-08, at 10:04 PM, Luke Bretscher wrote:
            >
            > > Is that the library, or is it just a "test chamber"? Cool and creepy
            > > bone architecture, though, anyway. Maybe she has to drink from the
            > > big kylix-like thing which contains something that would kill a non-
            > > Heterodyne.
            >
            > I think that it's a DNA test and she'll need to give a blood sample
            > into that bowl.
            >
            > Dale

            Delightful page ...

            I don't see it being a 'sparkie-ness' test, nor a blood test only
            (something the sub-kitchen could do in my mind). Nor an agilty & IQ
            test, all the castle has been that. Alter & stained glass backdrop
            aside, I can't see it being religion, but I do think it is similar to
            religion

            If the castle were built by Faustus Heterodyne, and the Heterodynes
            have been bloodthirsty amoral sparks from time immemorial, then the
            test must be to do with the particular sparky attributes of their
            bloodline.

            I think it is library will be indoctrinating her mind with
            'heterodyne' knowledge - if the genetic mind map is true, she will
            survive, and if not, fail. I also think that she will be likely to
            fail due to the madwoman in her head. At this point, another plot
            twist is required. Possibly a crippled heterodyne kept on ice? That
            would be cool. Frozen Faustus-onna-stick spouting madman advice to a
            birfucated mind damaged Agatha.

            ah - that's better. ;) I always feel better after a good plot
            extrapolation.

            thomas
          • Eric Oppen
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
              Quoting Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739@...>:

              > Is that the library, or is it just a "test chamber"? Cool and creepy
              > bone architecture, though, anyway. Maybe she has to drink from the
              > big kylix-like thing which contains something that would kill a
              > non-Heterodyne.

              Did anybody else notice the decorations are made of people's bones?

              I thought that was a cool touch. There are RL examples, although I
              don't remember just where---some churches in Europe have similar things.