Re: Der Kestle's Mind games

  • datalaughing2
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
      > i.e. neither the Kitchen or the current Castle brain mentions that
      >it can't actually keep track of what is going on in the Crypt.

      Not exactly correct. The kitchen says, "I can't even hear the crypt any
      more."
    • jwhouk
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
        An awful thought:

        What if that really WAS the entrance to the library... which is no
        more, because that's what went kablooey when Lucrezia and her minions
        disappeared?

        That means that the castle is really and truly "beyond repair".
        Something I don't think even Agatha would want to consider.
      • chembiogrrl
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, jwhouk <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > An awful thought:
          >
          > What if that really WAS the entrance to the library... which is no
          > more, because that's what went kablooey when Lucrezia and her minions
          > disappeared?
          >
          > That means that the castle is really and truly "beyond repair".
          > Something I don't think even Agatha would want to consider.

          Couldn't she reverse-engineer the connections? It might not be quick
          and easy, but I wouldn't think it's impossible. She's already off to a
          good start acquainting herself with different parts of the Castle.

          --Kathryn
        • Damien Sullivan
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
            On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 05:23:34PM -0000, inkcannerygirl wrote:
            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "FK" <krasowska@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I think the courtyard drop is an illusion, and der kestle's proud of
            > > its verisimilitude.
            >

            > That would be interesting. My guess is that the library is in that
            > tower across the way, and some sort of bridge must be extended across
            > the gap to reach it, once you find the hidden controls and figure out
            > the secret to operating them correctly. or something.

            And we have a winner! Or close enough.

            I've waited long to see the Kestle. Right now I Am Pleased. Long live
            the Kestle!

            -xx- Damien X-)
          • jwhouk
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
              This is straight out of Last Crusade, isn't it?

              And yet the "Heterodyne Must Enter Alone" theme continues... which is
              a great touch.

              A bridge of books - to a library. It's just awesome.

              And the cherry on top: "Of course I am."

              This is it, kids - this is THE test. She gets across the bridge, she's
              the Heterodyne.
            • Damien Sullivan
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:10:15AM -0000, jwhouk wrote:

                > A bridge of books - to a library. It's just awesome.

                They look more like bricks to me. No cover marking, no clear
                distinction of cover and pages, and the final pathway looks gray just
                like the walls.

                Now, how it's manipulating those bricks is another matter. Even if
                they're metal bricks and it's tricky magical magnetism, vs. full
                telekinesis, it's kind of a casual display of Heterodyne secret power.
                (At least in that I don't remember anything like it outside the Castle.)

                Of course, we'd already seen that in the kitchen. (With the cutlery
                suspendable in mid-air, so not just ejected from tubes.)

                -xx- Damien X-)
              • Thomas Sounness
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                  <snip>
                  > > A bridge of books - to a library. It's just awesome.
                  > They look more like bricks to me. No cover marking, no clear
                  > distinction of cover and pages, and the final pathway looks gray
                  > just like the walls.

                  I feel it is a masonry brick path, as a bonus the song 'long and
                  winding road' appeared in my mind when I saw it. That and a big cheesy
                  grin ... I lurve this series.

                  > Now, how it's manipulating those bricks is another matter. Even if
                  > they're metal bricks and it's tricky magical magnetism, vs. full
                  > telekinesis, it's kind of a casual display of Heterodyne secret power.
                  > (At least in that I don't remember anything like it outside the Castle.)

                  pschaw - subvert reality please, since when do we have castles made of
                  masonry able to be floated using mere hydrogen. (Wulfenbach) I'll put
                  this floating path into one of those Girl Genius universe alternate
                  physics moments. Enjoy but just don't think too hard. (positronically
                  charged bipolar slate/platinum amalgam's on a magnetic hypercylinder
                  anyone?)

                  I am curious, however, as to the tissue sample/blood sample taken by
                  the kitchen ... if it were a sample, is the library a blood library?
                  How did the kitchen merge with the Library mind. Is the Library mind
                  the master mind, or are we yet to meet the library mind. Is the
                  library stacked with the minds and memories of Hetrodynes past ... any
                  of the above would be uber-cool indeed.

                  thomas (now un-banned for top-posting *YAYS!*)
                • stereo_bis
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Sounness"
                    <babylon_tom@...> wrote:
                    >(positronically charged bipolar slate/platinum amalgam's on a
                    > magnetic hypercylinder anyone?)

                    I'll go for a GG-world version of the F4H fighter - nicknamed Rhino -
                    , about which have been said (if I am not mistaken): "Give it enough
                    power and a brick will fly." ;-)

                    And then I'll remind you about Von Mekkhan's word: "In my
                    experience, a strong Heterodyne will take about two hours to truly
                    warp the laws of nature." Do we agree that there were more than
                    enough strong Heterodyne in history to create semi-intelligent self-
                    powered bricks that can assemble into a bridge?

                    (Maybe the inspiration of Oggie's brick's note? ref:
                    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050810 )

                    I know another way of making bricks fly, but you wouldn't like it:
                    Stereo
                  • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                      *der schnippe*

                      And then I'll remind you about Von Mekkhan's word: "In my
                      experience, a strong Heterodyne will take about two hours to truly
                      warp the laws of nature." Do we agree that there were more than
                      enough strong Heterodyne in history to create semi-intelligent self-
                      powered bricks that can assemble into a bridge?
                      ----------------------
                      I can't seem to locate the image right now, but there is a flashback of
                      Faustus Heterodyne, in which he seems to be causing some masonry to defy
                      gravity. Given such parameters, I would think that various uses would be
                      found for such a handy trick. Maybe this particular SparkToy is part of
                      what makes the various rooms in Der Kestle move around? Would be handy,
                      that . . .

                      Kate Mcclure
                      In the minds of the Mad, rules are impossible, thus the impossible
                      rules. - M.E.

                    • Marybeth Griffin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                        On 7/2/08, McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV) <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:
                        > I can't seem to locate the image right now, but there is a flashback of
                        > Faustus Heterodyne, in which he seems to be causing some masonry to defy
                        > gravity. Given such parameters, I would think that various uses would be
                        > found for such a handy trick. Maybe this particular SparkToy is part of
                        > what makes the various rooms in Der Kestle move around? Would be handy,
                        > that . . .

                        marybeth
                      • Damien Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2008
                          On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:20:00PM -0400, Marybeth Griffin wrote:
                          > On 7/2/08, McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV) <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:
                          > > I can't seem to locate the image right now, but there is a flashback of
                          > > Faustus Heterodyne, in which he seems to be causing some masonry to defy
                          > > gravity. Given such parameters, I would think that various uses would be
                          > > found for such a handy trick. Maybe this particular SparkToy is part of
                          > > what makes the various rooms in Der Kestle move around? Would be handy,
                          > > that . . .
                          >
                          > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070803

                          Ah, I'd forgotten that scene! So yes, seems a theme.

                          -xx- Damien X-)
                        • Paolo
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2008
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Marybeth Griffin" <alanafiona@...>
                            wrote:

                            > On 7/2/08, McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV) <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:
                            > > I can't seem to locate the image right now, but there is a
                            flashback of
                            > > Faustus Heterodyne, in which he seems to be causing some masonry
                            to defy
                            > > gravity. Given such parameters, I would think that various uses
                            would be
                            > > found for such a handy trick. Maybe this particular SparkToy is
                            part of
                            > > what makes the various rooms in Der Kestle move around? Would be
                            handy,
                            > > that . . .
                            >
                            > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070803
                            >
                            > marybeth

                            While there are a lot of mechanisms in Der Kestle, so much that it's
                            taking years just to understand them a bit, I am thinking that the
                            "anti-gravity machine" is the most important device of it. Maybe that
                            Zola's plan to kill the castle is to destroy such device?

                            Paolo
                          • John Savard
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 6, 2008
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, jwhouk <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > This is it, kids - this is THE test. She gets across the bridge, she's
                              > the Heterodyne.

                              Although that wasn't _exactly_ true, it's close enough. THE test is
                              coming up now.