Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Mechanicsburg (spelling)

  • Michael Telford
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2008
      On 31-Mar-08, at 10:45 PM, tinkerwrks wrote:

      >> So this explains why Americans can never pronounce Edinburgh properly
      >
      > What is the correct way to pronounce Edinburgh?

      ED-in-bur-uh
    • Baralier
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 31, 2008
        > > So this explains why Americans can never pronounce Edinburgh properly
        >
        > What is the correct way to pronounce Edinburgh?

        Soundfile:
        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/En-uk-edinburgh.ogg

        I've found it quite common to incorrectly rhyme it with Pittsburgh, with the
        g sound at the end.

        --
        Paul
        (Educational)
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 31, 2008
          "What is the correct way to pronounce Edinburgh?"
          ---------------------
          i can't say its "proper" but i've always
          pronounced it "edinboro", but that may be a new
          york thing. i grew up in what was once "richmond
          borough" but is now "staten island borough" and
          we dropped the "ugh" in pronouncing it.
          "gunner"

        • I M McVey
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
            >"What is the correct way to pronounce Edinburgh?"

            This is the best way I can spell it phonetically.

            ED-in-bruh (with a slight roll of the 'R')

            I'm half Scot, half Indian. I mash the language on a regular basis
            (verbally), but hey, it's fun.

            Wanna avoid another mis-pronunciation?

            Scarborough. It isn't three syllables like the American song 'Scarborough
            Fair' (which is a lovely song).

            It's 'SCAR-bruh'.

            Love that place for holidays!

            Cheers, Ilya
          • Pat OConnell
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Telford <witewing@...> wrote:

              > On 31-Mar-08, at 10:45 PM, tinkerwrks wrote:
              >

              > >> So this explains why Americans can never pronounce Edinburgh properly
              > >
              > > What is the correct way to pronounce Edinburgh?
              >
              > ED-in-bur-uh

              On the sound clip, sounds more like "Edin-Burrow".

              But you're right: Americans pronounce it Edinburg. There is a town in
              southern Indiana about 30 miles from where I grew up, the name of
              which is spelled and pronounced "Edinburg."

              We tended to simplify our spellings over the years, hence the dropped
              "H"s from all the Mechanicsburgs out there.

              At the end of a word ending in "gh", the g is hard, and the H is
              usually nearly silent. So it's usually "Pittsburg" whether the H is
              there or not.
            • Matthew Funke
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                I M McVey wrote:
                > Wanna avoid another mis-pronunciation?

                I live in the strangest part of the country when it comes to location names and pronunciations.

                Peabody is pronounced "PEA-biddy", and certainly not "pea-BAWD-y".
                Windham is "WIN-dum", not "WIND-ham".
                Billerica is "bill-RICK-uh".
                Pelham is "PELL-um".
                Leominster is "LEH-min-ster". No "O" at all.
                Worcester is "WUH-ster".
                In the last two, pronouncing the "r" at the end is strictly optional.

                And these towns were founded by people who came from the place where the language was *invented*. :)

              • Baralier
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                  > I M McVey wrote:
                  > > Wanna avoid another mis-pronunciation?
                  >
                  > I live in the strangest part of the country when it comes to
                  > location names and pronunciations.
                  >
                  > Peabody is pronounced "PEA-biddy", and certainly not "pea-BAWD-y".
                  > Windham is "WIN-dum", not "WIND-ham".
                  > Billerica is "bill-RICK-uh".
                  > Pelham is "PELL-um".
                  > Leominster is "LEH-min-ster". No "O" at all.
                  > Worcester is "WUH-ster".
                  > In the last two, pronouncing the "r" at the end is strictly optional.

                  I always make fun of a Detroit friend and her efforts to pronounce
                  Warwickshire. (Worriksha)

                  Cholmondeley is always a good one to throw at people (pron. Chumley)

                  And my favourite is listening to embarrassed people saying Cockburn (which
                  the middle c and k are actually silent)

                  --
                  Paul
                  5:37 PM
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                    "I live in the strangest part of the country when
                    it comes to location names and pronunciations."
                    ------------------
                    that sounds like massachusetts...
                    "gunner"

                  • Margaret
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
                      >> Wanna avoid another mis-pronunciation?
                      >>

                      > I live in the strangest part of the country when it comes to location names and pronunciations.
                      >
                      > Peabody is pronounced "PEA-biddy", and certainly not "pea-BAWD-y".
                      > Windham is "WIN-dum", not "WIND-ham".

                      Oh, I can top that. I would really love to hear someone try to
                      pronounce these common street names:

                      Tchoupitoulas Street Prytania Street Derbigny Street
                      Prieur Street Delachaise Street.

                      Now, these are all well known streets - if you live (as I do) in New
                      Orleans, LA.

                      --
                      Margaret

                      Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.
                      -- William Feather