Re: Where's the blood?

  • Jon Kelley
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 29 4:47 PM
      A soft armour vest (in our world...) prevents puncture trauma due to ballistic impact, up to the level of protection offered by the vest (a Class I vest being hit by, say, .357 Magnum and up? Well, the bullet will slow down a bit as it goes through... And there aren't a whole lot of vests out there that will stop a rifle bullet and still allow the person wearing them to move...)

      However, you are still going to suffer blunt impact trauma (that much force doesn't just dissipate - broken ribs are common) and you're probably going to suffer some abrasions as well (because the vest will still deform in shape, unless it's been backed with "trauma plates" - usually ceramic or steel armour plates.)

      We also have to assume that Jagers have somewhat heightened senses - while it takes a pretty massive traumatic insult for any of /us/ to "schmell de blood," we can safely assume (I think - I hate using that word...) that Jagers are able to do so when the injury is on a level with a badly scraped knee, for instance. So, it would be reasonable to expect that a much lesser trauma would be needed for a heightened sense of schmell. It could also be a large number of very minor traumatic insults - something akin to getting a few dozen paper cuts all at once. The first effects would be noted from blood loss, rather than direct traumatic insult. Weren't there some explosions around Gil at the time? Shrapnel and fragmentation would be a likely factor.

    • Erin C.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 29 8:54 PM
        George wrote:
        > A flesh wound to the arm (for example) could leave one dazed and shocky (such as we've seen Gil, the recent adrenaline-surge notwithstanding), and require attention - but you'd
        > certainly SEE the bleeding.
        >
        > Where the heck was he hit, and why aren't we seeing any direct evidence
        > of it?!

        I think this is an aesthetic thing on the Foglio's part, they just don't
        want to draw a lot of blood. Some of the injuries and deaths we've seen
        would be plenty bloody in real life it's true, but this is a comic, so
        some liberties are to be expected.

        Incidentally, I can tell you from personal experience that even people
        who's injuries are primarily internal usually smell...off somehow. And
        I'm not just talking about the ones who've had some trauma induced
        incontinence either. Maybe it's the smell of fear and adrenelation.
        It's hard to describe, but it's one of the little tells you get when
        someone has a serious but non-obvious injury.

        ern

        --
        "I am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me."
        ~Blackadder
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
          "yumitori" <yumitori@...> wrote:

          > The Jaegers have repeatedly said they *smelled* blood, not saw it. It
          > would be unnecessary to make the distinction if there was visible
          > bleeding.
          >
          > It would be foolish to think one could stand up to an army of manned
          > battle clanks and not run significant risk of being hit by small arms
          > fire. And Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is most definitely not foolish.

          20071214 -- "...wearing armor. Not TOTALLY insane." -- Gil
          This is also when Jenka and crew explain why they are helping Gil, 'cause he
          is saving Agatha and her town. He can trust the wild Jagers 'cause they
          want him to look goot, "I tink hyu vant de 'mysterious dissappearance after
          de battle' endin. A beeg hit vit de ladies." Jenka explains why Gil is
          feeling so faint when he wasn't hit that badly. Body armor will stop the
          projectile, spread the impact force out over a larger area, but you do take
          the full kinetic force.
        • Erin C.
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
            Jon Kelley wrote:
            > We also have to assume that Jagers have somewhat heightened senses - while it takes a pretty massive traumatic insult for any of /us/ to "schmell de blood," we can safely assume (I think - I hate using that word...) that Jagers are able to do so when the injury is on a level with a badly scraped knee, for instance. So, it would be reasonable to expect that a much lesser trauma would be needed for a heightened sense of schmell.
            Hey if dogs can be trained to smell cancer:
            http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060106002944.htm I see no
            reason Jaegers couldn't smell a little blood, or even entirely internal
            bleeding, I doubt you'd even need a nose as good as a dog's for this.

            ern

            --
            "I am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me."
            ~Blackadder
          • Sean
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
              I belive he was scratched by a bullet on the right arm, based on the
              first panel of this page http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?
              date=20071207 , there hasn't been a clear close view of that part of
              his right arm since.

              Sean

              "Mechanicsburg sounds like my kind of town."

              I was refering to the first panel of this page, I think I would blend
              right in.

              I think this sums it up "CRASH! POW! ZAP! WHREEEE! ding, HOORAY!"
            • rja_carnegie
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, yumitori <yumitori@...> wrote:
                > Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is most definitely not foolish.
                > He also understands the need to not appear weak,
                > especially under these circumstances. It's not at
                > all unreasonable to presume that he took precautions
                > to avoid visible bleeding.

                You have to be a Spark to be so focussed on that
                definition of the problem, that you overlook means of
                avoiding /actual/ bleeding!

                I think you might even consider going the other way;
                avoid actual injury, use stage-blood liberally, stride
                around with youthful vigour heedless of your unnecessary
                bandages. As long as you don't trip up over them, isn't
                it a winner?