Re: [Girl Genius] Re: MadSci Bird Repeller 2004

  • Erik Von Halle
    Message 1 of 21 , May 12, 2004
      The classic solution to your problem is called pigeon
      pie.

    • Daiv
      Message 2 of 21 , May 12, 2004
        Anyone else here feel like singing?
        <piano> Spring is here, Spring is here, Life is Skittles and life is
        beer. I think the loveliest time of the years the spring, I do, don't
        yo? course you do. but there's one thing that makes spring complete for
        me, that makes every sunday a treat for me; So if sunday you're free,
        why don't you come with me and we'll poison the piegons in the park!

        <etc>
        </piano>

        From memory, with apologies to Tom Lehrer.

        -Daiv

        I came here to dance
        seven shots of scotch later
        oh SHIT gravity

        -Daiv
        www.geekhaiku.com
        AIM drnknmstrhkugk
        YIM daivbear
      • John H. Reiher Jr.
        Message 3 of 21 , May 12, 2004
          At 10:28 PM -0700 5/11/04, Siece wrote:
          >See my noble beasts, and tremble in fear!!!
          >
          >http://www.siece.net/images/cats.jpg

          Oh, but they are so cute engines of destruction!
          --
          ------------------------
          Kedamono@...

          http://www.ahtg.net
          ------------------------
          "Another one of them new worlds.
          No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
          Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
          tin cans."
          ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
          Forbidden Planet
        • John H. Reiher Jr.
          Message 4 of 21 , May 12, 2004
            At 7:07 PM +0000 5/12/04, studiofoglio wrote:

            >I've found that the best way to deal with the situation (until I can
            >financially justify professional help) is to cultivate a sort of zen
            >calm. I believe the professional term is "try not to let it get to you."

            There are two solutions, one requires a dead-eye aim, the other
            suffering the wrath of your neighbors until the odor goes away. :-)

            The more fragrant of the two solutions involves supersoakers,
            painter's overalls, and skunk juice or other potent odor producing
            chemicals. No need for any other explanation, other than you'd want
            to do this the day before your go on vacation...

            The other is to use pepper balls in a paintball gun and coat the
            areas they like to congregate with the noxious stuff. That should
            drive them away.
            --
            ------------------------
            Kedamono@...

            http://www.ahtg.net
            ------------------------
            "Another one of them new worlds.
            No beer, no women, no pool parlors - nothin'.
            Nothing to do but throw rocks at tin cans and we got to bring our own
            tin cans."
            ---- Ship's Cook, United Planets Cruiser C-57D
            Forbidden Planet
          • chembiogrrl
            Message 5 of 21 , May 12, 2004
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "pmaclanderson" <pmanderson@h...> wrote:
              > Aww, they're so fierce...
              >
              > But blue jays will make even the stoutest FBW cower and cover their
              > ears. I knew one cat whose domain included a driveway, the only
              > connecting passage through it, that ran by a holly tree in which blue
              > jays nested; and their shrieks of "CAT! CAT!" would make us flinch,
              > even when he was just passing through.

              Mockingbirds, too. I finally realized why she tried to keep them from nesting in the
              shrubs by the driveway when they did, and attacked anyone coming along. I also saw
              a pair plucking fur from a live (napping) cat to line their nest.

            • chembiogrrl
              Message 6 of 21 , May 12, 2004
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@y...> wrote:
                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "pmaclanderson" <pmanderson@h...> wrote:
                > > Aww, they're so fierce...
                > >
                > > But blue jays will make even the stoutest FBW cower and cover their
                > > ears. I knew one cat whose domain included a driveway, the only
                > > connecting passage through it, that ran by a holly tree in which blue
                > > jays nested; and their shrieks of "CAT! CAT!" would make us flinch,
                > > even when he was just passing through.

                I need to edit better before posting. Grrr.

                > Mockingbirds, too. I finally realized why she

                [my mother]

                tried to keep them from nesting in the
                > shrubs by the driveway when they did, and attacked anyone coming along. I also
                saw
                > a pair plucking fur from a live (napping) cat to line their nest.

                [by grabbing a beakfull of fur as they swooped at the cat and away again--these guys
                could make fighter pilots jealous at their skill]

              • gizmo_tinkerer
                Message 7 of 21 , May 13, 2004
                  Hi,

                  I do not recommend electrifying your roof to deal with the pigeons.

                  Murder with Puffins
                  ISBN: 0312978863 (paperback)
                  St. Martins Press/Minotaur Books

                  http://www.donnaandrews.com/presskit.shtml

                  But if they are inside a fandom convention, umbrellas can help.

                  We'll Always Have Parrots
                  ISBN: 0312277326 (hardcover)
                  St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books

                  The only personal involvement I have had with vermin is my Grampa who
                  used a .22 to keep burrowers out of his garden, and my father who
                  leaves the first burrower he kills in the garden. Dad claims the
                  dead body scares off the other burrowers.

                  -Gizmo

                  ----Begin Original Message----

                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, studiofoglio <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > The raccoons occasionally get an unwary one that lands on the
                  > ground, but other than that, I'm afraid we're stuck with them until
                  > manage to hire someone to come out and install spiky things
                  > and mesh barriers on all of the spots that they like to perch.
                  I'll
                  > have a professional do it, since it is pretty high and dangerous.
                  > like the device pictured, it might look cool on the ridge of the
                  > house, even if it didn't work...

                  <snip>

                  > --Kaja
                  ----End Original Message----
                  =
                • sea_moose
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 13, 2004
                    I know it is a little low tech, but have you considered becoming
                    falconers? Peregrines LOVE pigeons.

                    jeff
                  • David M. Hungerford III
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 13, 2004
                      At 09:22 AM 5/13/2004, you wrote:
                      >I know it is a little low tech, but have you considered becoming
                      >falconers? Peregrines LOVE pigeons.

                      From reading Kaja's blog, I'd say they're rather too busy to take up
                      something with that much of a time commitment. (I could, of course, be
                      wrong...but I'd bet against it.)

                      David M. Hungerford III | Many succeed. Many just get to that
                      morden@... | first syllable in the word "succeed."
                      Insert virtual blue ribbon | --P.F. Bruns
                      My opinions are mine and have nothing to do with my employer/ISP.
                    • Cyfarwydd
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 14, 2004
                        From: "John H. Reiher Jr." <kedamono@...>

                        > There are two solutions, one requires a dead-eye aim, the other
                        > suffering the wrath of your neighbors until the odor goes away. :-)
                        >
                        > The more fragrant of the two solutions involves supersoakers,
                        > painter's overalls, and skunk juice or other potent odor producing
                        > chemicals. No need for any other explanation, other than you'd want
                        > to do this the day before your go on vacation...
                        >
                        > The other is to use pepper balls in a paintball gun and coat the
                        > areas they like to congregate with the noxious stuff. That should
                        > drive them away.

                        Actually, we sent Steve Jackson, among others, some socks our ferret
                        minions had got all ferrety, to scare away rats. If you think it will work
                        on "flying rats," we have a bag full of old socks waiting to become
                        bedding...

                        Although I'd think cat pee would work better, especially if they're fed
                        chicken flavor food first.

                        But raccoons really go for ferret food, and cat food, and dog food, and
                        they're very clever, so if you already have some raccoon activity, either
                        rig roof access for them or encourage them to find their own with similar
                        (bird-flavor) food incentives. Just be sure the raccoons cannot then get
                        into the house to look for more pigeons. Or other prey.

                        Terry Pratchett says gargoyles also eat pigeons, and they make a house
                        so lovely! Or do the raccoon thing & spray them down with quick-hardening
                        cement for instant gargoyles!

                        You could encourage other things to live on or near your roof to get rid
                        of them, like the falcon idea (get them to move from downtown Seattle
                        "somehow"), or vines with nasty thorns or poisonous berries, or more armed
                        children...
                        http://www.orientaltrading.com has, from time to time, slingshots by the
                        dozen, and bulk squirtgun packs, and carnival cork rifles, and lots of cheap
                        plastic junk to offer as prizes for the most pigeons driven away.

                        If you don't think the gizmo is active enough, motorize it like a giant
                        weedwhacker, or add it to/replace it with a rotating lawn sprinkler on the
                        roof. It looks very easy to make your own, and make it more "tentacle-y."
                        Actually, direct application of steam might work well also, but may peel
                        your paint.

                        I'm thinking of stapling up screen door netting I bought by-the-roll
                        around our patio (homeless guys drinking & sleeping out there before the
                        bars open & after they close, not just birds, Ick!), if you want to "tent"
                        your house, or parts of it...

                        Cyfarwydd
                      • gaertk
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 14, 2004
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "gizmo_tinkerer"
                          <Cyb0Au0Dragon215@A...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I do not recommend electrifying your roof to deal with the pigeons.
                          >
                          > Murder with Puffins
                          > ISBN: 0312978863 (paperback)
                          > St. Martins Press/Minotaur Books
                          >
                          > http://www.donnaandrews.com/presskit.shtml
                          >
                          > But if they are inside a fandom convention, umbrellas can help.
                          >
                          > We'll Always Have Parrots
                          > ISBN: 0312277326 (hardcover)
                          > St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books

                          I like her other series about a crime-fighting AI, and I've
                          considered trying these. Are they good? What's the premise?
                          Is there any science fiction/fantasy/supernatural stuff?

                          ObGG: The ashcan I won showed up in the mail yesterday *gloat*.
                          I've always wondered what one of those things looked like. And
                          it included an extra copy of pages 9, 10, 19, and 20 for some
                          reason.

                          --KG
                        • gizmo_tinkerer
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 16, 2004
                            Hi KG,

                            I just started reading the first of her crime-fighting AI books.

                            I always recommend visiting your local library when trying out a new
                            series. I was thrilled to find out that not only does our local
                            school system carry the Girl Genius Collection, but it is one of
                            their top three graphic novel picks for Middle School & High School
                            students.

                            Meg Langslow is a contemporary blacksmith (think Renaissance
                            Festivals) who like any good murder mystery protagonist always
                            manages to be where the bodies are found.

                            No Science Fiction/ Fantasy/ Supernatural stuff, unless you consider
                            a Fandom Convention supernatural.

                            We'll Always Have Parrots is set in a fictional Xenalike TV
                            Convention.

                            Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon takes place at a newly formed
                            computer gaming company.

                            Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos is set in a fictional (I hope)
                            reenactment of the siege of Yorktown/ crafts fair.

                            Murder with Puffins takes place on an island off the coast of Maine.

                            Murder with Peacocks is set in Meg Langslow's small Virginia hometown.

                            -Gizmo
                            Support your local Library.

                            If like sci-fi/ fantasy, tell people about the Baen Free Library
                            http://www.baen.com/library/

                            ++++Begin Original Message++++

                            Why they are called vermin (or Re: MadSci Bird Repeller 2004)

                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "gaertk" <gaertk@a...> wrote:
                            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "gizmo_tinkerer"
                            > <Cyb0Au0Dragon215@A...> wrote:
                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > I do not recommend electrifying your roof to deal with the
                            pigeons.

                            > > Murder with Puffins
                            > > ISBN: 0312978863 (paperback)
                            > > St. Martins Press/Minotaur Books
                            > >
                            > > http://www.donnaandrews.com/presskit.shtml
                            > >
                            > > But if they are inside a fandom convention, umbrellas can help.
                            > >
                            > > We'll Always Have Parrots
                            > > ISBN: 0312277326 (hardcover)
                            > > St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books
                            >
                            > I like her other series about a crime-fighting AI, and I've
                            > considered trying these. Are they good? What's the premise?
                            > Is there any science fiction/fantasy/supernatural stuff?

                            <snip>

                            > --KG
                            ++++End Original Message++++
                            =
                          • gaertk
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 16, 2004
                              <Cyb0Au0Dragon215@A...> wrote:
                              > Hi KG,
                              >
                              > I just started reading the first of her crime-fighting AI books.

                              A small warning: the second book ends on a small cliffhanger. Though
                              if you mind those things, you probably wouldn't be here.

                              > I always recommend visiting your local library when trying out a new
                              > series.

                              Of course. And if your local library doesn't have something, ask them
                              about inter-library loans.

                              In this case, I'd have to go to my secondary library, and since you
                              brought them up, I thought I'd get more info before making the trip.

                              > Meg Langslow is a contemporary blacksmith (think Renaissance
                              > Festivals) who like any good murder mystery protagonist always
                              > manages to be where the bodies are found.
                              >
                              > No Science Fiction/ Fantasy/ Supernatural stuff, unless you consider
                              > a Fandom Convention supernatural.

                              Sounds like it includes talk about [fictional] supernatural stuff.

                              Why do all the titles include birds?

                              > We'll Always Have Parrots is set in a fictional Xenalike TV
                              > Convention.

                              So this one is first?

                              > Support your local Library.

                              I'm lucky, my local library supports *me*. :)
                              (I shelve books for a living.)

                              --KG
                            • gizmo_tinkerer
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17, 2004
                                =
                                Hi KG,

                                One of the characters on the Xenalike show is a Sorcerer, but they
                                deal more with his screaming teenage fans than his TV show magic.

                                Below is a URL and quote from a website about the "bird angel".

                                Actually, in an attempt to stay remotely on topic, I listed the
                                titles in reverse order. If you care about reading Murder Mysteries
                                in order (for example the Meg has a romantic relationship that
                                progresses throughout the books): Murder with Peacocks; Murder with
                                Puffins; Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingoes; Crouching Buzzard,
                                Leaping Loons; and We'll Always have Parrots.

                                ++++Begin Website Quote++++

                                http://jez.cc/writersreview/authors/donna_andrews.htm

                                WR: What about the bird angle - can we expect an entire series with
                                an ornithological twist?
                                The bird theme to the titles was a bit of an accident. I'm the
                                daughter of birdwatchers, but I'm not actually obsessed with birds
                                myself. But I was trying to think of a title before I submitted the
                                manuscript to the contest--the best one I'd come up with so far
                                was "Three Weddings and an Undisclosed Number of Homicides." I called
                                up a friend who was good at that sort of thing and asked her to
                                brainstorm with me about the title, and she said, "Is this for the
                                murder mystery with the peacocks?" Bingo! And publishers like to have
                                a pattern in their titles, so since the second book is set in Maine,
                                Murder with Puffins came naturally. When he was moderating a panel I
                                was on recently, my fellow mystery writer Daniel Stashower
                                asked, "Peacocks...puffins...And what large ungainly bird will you be
                                featuring next?" The answer, incidentally, is flamingos--book 3 in
                                the series will be Murder with Wrought Iron Flamingos, and will
                                feature Revolutionary War reenactors and a craft fair in Colonial
                                costume.
                                The wonderful thing is that there are so many birds to choose from.
                                Sue Grafton will have a hard time when she gets to "Z is for Zealot"
                                or whatever, but think how long I would have to write to even begin
                                to use all the bird species out there.

                                ++++End Website Quote++++

                                ++++Begin Original Message++++
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/girlgenius/message/5269

                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "gaertk" <gaertk@a...> wrote:
                                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "gizmo_tinkerer"
                                > <Cyb0Au0Dragon215@A...> wrote:

                                <snip>

                                > > No Science Fiction/ Fantasy/ Supernatural stuff, unless you
                                consider
                                > > a Fandom Convention supernatural.
                                >
                                > Sounds like it includes talk about [fictional] supernatural stuff.
                                >
                                > Why do all the titles include birds?
                                >
                                > > We'll Always Have Parrots is set in a fictional Xenalike TV
                                > > Convention.
                                >
                                > So this one is first?

                                <snip>

                                > --KG
                                ++++End Original Message++++
                                =
                              • pieeyeddragon
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 18, 2004
                                  ...and I had always heard that those plastic bags of water were to
                                  keep flies away. (They mistake them for hornet nests.)

                                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Julie Winters <boxoshadows@y...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Kaja-
                                  >

                                  > Down here in Houston, outdoor patio dining has always meant dining
                                  by a clear squarish plastic bag filled with water. I have no idea
                                  why spacing those about 10 feet apart keeps birds from flying into
                                  the patio, but it does.

                                  > Of course, I can't speak for pidgeons...they're notoriously
                                  bizarre birds. But you might check into putting them in especially
                                  problemsome spots, like over your studio, over the recycling, etc.

                                  > I won't say it can't hurt, because that's just ASKIN' for trouble.
                                  >

                                  > Stephen Hawking, as a zombie: "Branes....BRANES!"
                                  > "Mad enough to wish for what she was not mad enough to grasp--now
                                  there was singularly useless lunacy." - Lois McMaster Bujold
                                  > http://legato_bluesummers.tripod.com/vampire/christmas.htm

                                • pmaclanderson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 12, 2004
                                    Thank you; I read Murder with Peacocks, and if it weren't for the
                                    author photo, I'd swear it was written by Connie Willis (in her
                                    manic, "To Say Nothing of the Dog" phase).