GG Quiz - Music, Drama, & Melodrama

  • sanf_sara
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
      Volume 8 will commence soon, and when it starts, I'm not going to read
      any new Girl Genius until the end of the school year (a while). So
      this will be the last Girl Genius quiz (written by me at least) in a
      while.

      That said, this is my favorite quiz so far.

      Recap Rules :

      1) Post answers to group or keep them to self (I would appreciate if
      you at least say that you took the quiz, even if you don't want to
      expose your answers)
      2) You can cheat as much or as little as you want! If you enjoy the
      quiz, you'll get credit.
      3) Some of questions (and thereby answers) are subjective

      Without further ado...

      EASY

      1. How does Agatha discover her true identity?

      a) Carson tells her
      b) Tarvek explains it to her
      c) Klaus uncovers it when he sees the Clays
      d) She guessed it from Uncle Barry's behavior

      2. Who fixed the Silverodeon?
      a) Rivet
      b) Agatha
      c) Gil
      d) Tarvek

      3. "No one will EVER hurt ANYONE else I love EVER AGAIN, or else
      I'll-" Who says this to Zeetha?

      a) Klaus
      b) Lars
      c) Agatha
      d) Lucrezia

      4. "... and boil the seas around you for the next thousand years!" Who
      is Gil threatening?

      a) Agatha
      b) Zeetha
      c) Wooster
      d) Beetle

      5. Why is Agatha's music important?

      a) It controls the Battle circus
      b) It helps prove that she is a Heterodyne
      c) It keeps the Other from controlling her
      d) All of the above

      6. What did Agatha do in Sturmhalten?

      a) Create a giant projection of herself to warn Europe of the Other
      b) Perform in "The Heterodyne Boys in the Race to the West Pole"
      c) Brew coffee
      d) Fly in an airplane

      7. To whose music does Agatha dance?

      a) Gil's
      b) Sleipnir's
      c) Zulenna's
      d) Krosp's

      8. How does Gil react when he strikes the army outside Mechanicsburg?

      a) If only, if only, if only...
      b) No! No!
      c) It works! It works! It works!
      d) Yes! Yes!

      9) What is the irony of Zeetha taking vengence against on the pirates?
      a) They might have known how she can go home
      b) She didn't realize her lover was among them
      c) They were her enemy's enemy
      d) They let her into their fortress thinking she would join them

      10) As far as we know, who tries to assasinate Baron Wulfenbach?

      a) Bangladesh Dupree
      b) Oggie
      c) General Khrizhan
      d) Many people/things

      MEDIUM

      1. "Everything that I am dictates that I do this." Do what?
      a) Save Mechanicsburg
      b) Rescue Agatha
      c) Defend the wagons
      d) Fight the pursuers

      2. In which of the following scenes does Agatha hum?

      a) Climbing the giant clank
      b) Making the death ray bomb
      c) Operating the battle circus
      d) All of the above

      3. "Well, we're in a Heterodyne story now. These things happen." What
      is this quote referring to?

      a) exploding clanks
      b) a certain dramatic revelation
      c) approaching monsters
      d) talking animals

      4. What is the most likely reason for Beetle trying to kill Agatha?

      a) Gil is next to her
      b) She can control the slave engine
      c) Bill Heterodyne is her father
      d) To spare her from her mother

      5. Who is "story boy"?

      a) Theo
      b) Gil
      c) Lars
      d) Vanamonde

      6. "For here you will find the greatest dissemblance of heroes in all
      of Europe!" Who says this?

      a) Master Payne
      b) Balthazar
      c) Rivet
      d) Embi

      7. Who has the last line in "Race to the West Pole"?

      a) Lucrezia
      b) Judy
      c) Bill
      d) Barry

      8. "It was the end of our world." Who says this?

      a) Vrin
      b) Carson
      c) Phil
      d) None of the above

      9. In the "Dragon from Mars", what was the Heterodynes' initial plan?

      a) To scour the basement of Castle Heterodyne
      b) To take Lucrezia out of her wicked ways
      c) To close off the portal to Mars
      d) To have Klaus discover the Other's identity

      10. "I don't understand it. Dupree saw her alive." Why does it not
      make sense?

      a) She is supposedly long gone.
      b) Dupree has seen the future.
      c) Nobody could have survived that.
      d) The speaker does not know that Dupree is delirious.

      HARD

      1. Which of following, as far as we know, saves Agatha from imminent
      death?

      a) Tarvek
      b) Punch
      c) The Circus folk
      d) Zeetha

      2. Which of the following do we see produce sparky music?

      a) Tarvek
      b) Gil
      c) Andre
      d) Barry

      3. Which town did Othar not "save"?

      a) Lunkhauser
      b) Mt. Horeb
      c) Zum Zum
      d) Micklesburgh

      4. "... having utterly failed the Heterodynes." To whom is this
      referring?

      a) Carson
      b) The Jagerkin
      c) Castle Heterodyne
      d) House Wulfenbach

      5. "[blah blah] ... and you're treating it like a kitchen accident?!"
      What prompts this line?

      a) "My feet are sticking to the floor."
      b) "Oh, this is just a standard vitamin..."
      c) "That is one thing I don't have to worry about." d) "The footmen
      will find him."

      (extra credit if you can figure out who said each of these lines)

      6. Who says "Now their romantic imaginations are all fired up"?

      a) Lucrezia
      b) Master Payne
      c) Carson
      d) Anekva

      7. Who was attacked by Bangladesh Dupree (and survived)?

      a) Rinja
      b) Bruno
      c) Krause
      d) None of the above

      8. Who agrees to kill Agatha should she fall under the Other's control?

      a) Zeetha
      b) Tarvek
      c) Gil
      d) Bang

      9. "Not a word. Not a whisper." Who says this?

      a) Wooster
      b) Gil
      c) Krosp
      d) Zeetha

      10. In context, what does the word "ordinary" signify?

      a) The banality from which one strives to rise
      b) The familiarity that comforts a hurt soul
      c) The routine insanity of the gifted
      d) The good that is cruelly crushed

      Enjoy!
    • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
        This time, without looking, no net, blindfolded and one arm tied behind
        my back! Woo!

        Kate McClure

      • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
          On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:59:38AM -0000, sanf_sara wrote:
          > That said, this is my favorite quiz so far.

          I was wondering if you could post links (references) with
          your answers.

          > 1. How does Agatha discover her true identity?
          > c) Klaus uncovers it when he sees the Clays

          I find this question nonplussing... When exactly did she
          figure it out? I'm not sure.

          > 2. Who fixed the Silverodeon?
          > b) Agatha

          > 3. "No one will EVER hurt ANYONE else I love EVER AGAIN, or else
          > I'll-" Who says this to Zeetha?
          > c) Agatha

          > 4. "... and boil the seas around you for the next thousand years!" Who
          > is Gil threatening?
          > c) Wooster

          Although the "you" is really the whole Brittanic nation.

          > 5. Why is Agatha's music important?
          > d) All of the above

          > 6. What did Agatha do in Sturmhalten?
          > a) Create a giant projection of herself to warn Europe of the Other

          > 7. To whose music does Agatha dance?
          > a) Gil's

          But only because he promised to show her how it worked,
          afterward.

          > 8. How does Gil react when he strikes the army outside Mechanicsburg?
          > c) It works! It works! It works!

          > 9) What is the irony of Zeetha taking vengence against on the pirates?
          > a) They might have known how she can go home

          > 10) As far as we know, who tries to assasinate Baron Wulfenbach?
          > d) Many people/things

          Real specific there.

          > 1. "Everything that I am dictates that I do this." Do what?
          > d) Fight the pursuers

          Zulenna delays von Pinn and Bangladesh pursuing Agatha.

          > 2. In which of the following scenes does Agatha hum?
          > a) Climbing the giant clank

          Oh, (a) for sure. I don't remember it for c. or b., so just
          a)

          > b) Making the death ray bomb
          > c) Operating the battle circus

          > 3. "Well, we're in a Heterodyne story now. These things happen." What
          > is this quote referring to?
          > d) talking animals

          I think. I'm thinking it's a student aboard Castle
          Wulfenbach who says it.

          > 4. What is the most likely reason for Beetle trying to kill Agatha?
          > b) She can control the slave engine

          I guess; one of those more subjective ones.

          > 5. Who is "story boy"?
          > a) Theo

          I don't remember him specifically being called this, though.

          > 6. "For here you will find the greatest dissemblance of heroes in all
          > of Europe!" Who says this?
          > a) Master Payne

          At the introduction of the show.

          > 7. Who has the last line in "Race to the West Pole"?
          > c) Bill

          Can't have been Lucrezia, because there are lines after
          hers (I think it was RttWP that Krosp was helping Agatha
          with).

          > 8. "It was the end of our world." Who says this?
          > a) Vrin

          Referring to the loss of the Holy Child, I think.

          > 9. In the "Dragon from Mars", what was the Heterodynes' initial plan?
          > d) To have Klaus discover the Other's identity

          At which he succeeds, but it takes the Boys two years rather
          than two weeks to retrieve him.

          > 10. "I don't understand it. Dupree saw her alive." Why does it not
          > make sense?

          I don't remember this very well. Is it Gil talking about
          Agatha? Or Klaus? If Gil, and they understood it was the
          future, then
          > a) She is supposedly long gone.

          > 1. Which of following, as far as we know, saves Agatha from imminent
          > death?
          > c) The Circus folk

          Certainly if you include Lars.

          > 2. Which of the following do we see produce sparky music?
          > a) Tarvek

          I suspect this is the answer you want. But I think that the
          music is actually being produced by a device (like a weak
          dingbot) that he's holding rather than by Tarvek himself.

          > 3. Which town did Othar not "save"?
          Hmm...
          > c) Zum Zum

          It was "saved" (from Jenka and Fuest) by Dimo, Oggie, and
          Maxim. IIRC. (Otherwise, it could have been any of the
          other three AFAICR.)

          > 4. "... having utterly failed the Heterodynes." To whom is this
          > referring?

          Oooh. Hm.

          > b) The Jagerkin

          Guessing it refers to the circumstances by which they (most
          of them) end up serving Baron Wulfenbach.

          > 5. "[blah blah] ... and you're treating it like a kitchen accident?!"
          > What prompts this line?
          > a) "My feet are sticking to the floor."

          a) is the answer. It was at Dr. Beetle's lab after his
          death; must be Boris who says it.

          > b) "Oh, this is just a standard vitamin..."

          The first would-be assassin of Klaus at Mechanicsburg,
          dressed as a Great Hospital nurse.

          > c) "That is one thing I don't have to worry about."

          I think this is Gil, relying on Wooster having taken Agatha
          to Britain.

          > d) "The footmen will find him."

          Sounds like an Anevka line; very much guessing.

          > 6. Who says "Now their romantic imaginations are all fired up"?
          > d) Anekva

          Possibly.

          > 7. Who was attacked by Bangladesh Dupree (and survived)?
          > b) Bruno

          I'm thinking this refers to another of Moloch and Omar von
          Zinzer's shipmates. Tricky one.

          > 8. Who agrees to kill Agatha should she fall under the Other's control?
          > c) Gil

          When they're fighting the wasps.

          > 9. "Not a word. Not a whisper." Who says this?
          > d) Zeetha

          Another toughie. Referring to the lack of information about
          Agatha's whereabouts in the Castle, I'm thinking.

          > 10. In context, what does the word "ordinary" signify?
          > c) The routine insanity of the gifted

          I guess...
        • David Goldfarb
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
            From: "Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)" <zarchne@...>
            >> 6. "For here you will find the greatest dissemblance of heroes in all
            >> of Europe!" Who says this?
            >> a) Master Payne
            >
            >At the introduction of the show.

            Master Payne would never be guilty of such a malapropism as
            "dissemblance" for "assemblage". Try Balthazar.

            >> 8. "It was the end of our world." Who says this?
            >> a) Vrin
            >
            >Referring to the loss of the Holy Child, I think.

            More generally to the end of prophecy and the departure of their
            goddess, but the loss of the Holy Child was in there too.

            >> 10. "I don't understand it. Dupree saw her alive." Why does it not
            >> make sense?
            >
            >I don't remember this very well. Is it Gil talking about
            >Agatha? Or Klaus? If Gil, and they understood it was the
            >future, then
            >> a) She is supposedly long gone.

            As I recall it, it was Klaus on seeing Olga's body (and of course
            thinking it Agatha's).

            >> 3. Which town did Othar not "save"?
            >Hmm...
            >> c) Zum Zum
            >
            >It was "saved" (from Jenka and Fuest) by Dimo, Oggie, and
            >Maxim. IIRC. (Otherwise, it could have been any of the
            >other three AFAICR.)

            Nope, Mt. Horeb. When Agatha first met Othar:
            "...Savior of the town of Mt. Horeb from the rain of mustard?"
            "Er, I'm afraid you have me on that one."
            "I made it up."

            (The real town of Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin has a mustard museum.)

            --
            David Goldfarb |"I'm reconsidering my desire to go to college, as
            goldfarb@... | from what I've seen on this group it drives one
            | -- ACM, on rec.arts.comics.xbooks
          • sanf_sara
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
              1. How does Agatha discover her true identity?

              c) Klaus uncovers it when he sees the Clays

              See http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040802
              One of the more melodramatic moments in the comic

              2. Who fixed the Silverodeon?
              b) Agatha

              What wonderful music!

              3. "No one will EVER hurt ANYONE else I love EVER AGAIN, or else
              I'll-" Who says this to Zeetha?

              c) Agatha

              Ridiculously melodramatic. See

              4. "... and boil the seas around you for the next thousand years!" Who
              is Gil threatening?

              c) Wooster

              And his entire nation by extension.

              5. Why is Agatha's music important?

              d) All of the above

              Music is very important.

              6. What did Agatha do in Sturmhalten?

              a) Create a giant projection of herself to warn Europe of the Other

              It's hard to believe how melodramatic this is. I mean, imagine if you
              were actually there, and actually saw that. I think it might trump a
              solar eclipse.

              7. To whose music does Agatha dance?

              a) Gil's

              See
              Lovely dance music

              8. How does Gil react when he strikes the army outside Mechanicsburg?

              c) It works! It works! It works!

              Very dramatic. I consider this page to be one of the best in Volume 7.

              9) What is the irony of Zeetha taking vengence against on the pirates?
              a) They might have known how she can go home

              It was a lot of fun to come up with bogus reasons why Zeetha's revenge
              was ironic.

              10) As far as we know, who tries to assasinate Baron Wulfenbach?

              d) Many people/things

              Yep. Really specific.

              MEDIUM

              1. "Everything that I am dictates that I do this." Do what?

              d) Fight the pursuers

              Melodramatic.
              See

              2. In which of the following scenes does Agatha hum?

              a) Climbing the giant clank

              Musical
              See

              3. "Well, we're in a Heterodyne story now. These things happen." What
              is this quote referring to?

              d) talking animals

              See

              4. What is the most likely reason for Beetle trying to kill Agatha?

              b) She can control the slave engine

              Melodramatic.
              This is subjective, but I think that Dr. Beetle's comment "You won't
              get me! You won't get ANY of us" makes me lean towards this
              interpretatino.

              5. Who is "story boy"

              c) Lars

              Dramatic.
              See

              6. "For here you will find the greatest dissemblance of heroes in all
              of Europe!" Who says this?

              b) Balthazar

              Dramatic. See the last panel

              7. Who has the last line in "Race to the West Pole"?

              c) Bill

              Dramatic.
              See

              8. "It was the end of our world." Who says this?

              a) Vrin

              Melodramatic. See

              9. In the "Dragon from Mars", what was the Heterodynes' initial plan?

              d) To have Klaus discover the Other's identity

              Dramatic. See

              10. "I don't understand it. Dupree saw her alive." Why does it not
              make sense?

              b) Dupree has seen the future.

              Melodramatic. See

              HARD

              1. Which of following, as far as we know, saves Agatha from imminent
              death?

              a) Tarvek

              Melodramatic.
              Though one could include Lars in the Circus folk, and there is a
              situation where Zeetha kinda saves Agatha's life, Tarvek is the best
              answer. Tarvek actually saves Agatha's life twice, but the specific
              instance I was thinking of was -

              2. Which of the following do we see produce sparky music?

              a) Tarvek

              Musical. Though whether it's his voice or a machine, we don't know. See

              3. Which town did Othar not "save"?

              b) Mt. Horeb

              Dramatic. Remember, he saved Zum Zum from some evil wild Jagers. See

              4. "... having utterly failed the Heterodynes." To whom is this
              referring?

              c) Castle Heterodyne

              Melodramatic. See

              5. "[blah blah] ... and you're treating it like a kitchen accident?!"
              What prompts this line?

              a) "My feet are sticking to the floor."
              b) "Oh, this is just a standard vitamin..."
              c) "That is one thing I don't have to worry about."
              d) "The footmen
              will find him."

              Melodramatic. See

              For extra credit, see

              6. Who says "Now their romantic imaginations are all fired up"?

              d) Anekva

              Dramatic. See

              7. Who was attacked by Bangladesh Dupree (and survived)?

              b) Bruno

              Melodramatic. See

              8. Who agrees to kill Agatha should she fall under the Other's control?

              c) Gil

              Melodramatic. MUAHAHAHAHA I love this question! So counter-inuitive!
              See

              9. "Not a word. Not a whisper." Who says this?

              d) Zeetha

              Melodramatic. See

              10. In context, what does the word "ordinary" signify?

              d) The good that is cruelly crushed

              Melodramatic. Probably the most subjective question in the quiz. And
              my favorite. Or rather, it refers to one of my favorite nuances in
              all of Girl Genius. I love the pathos which goes into the word
              "ordinary". Somehow, that one word manages to sum up something which
              ... cannot be expressed easily (believe me, this question had so many
              rewrites, and I still don't think that this answer quite got it). Oh,
              you want the context, right? Here you go -
              I love opera week!

              Anyway, I love making these quizzes, and I expect to make more this
              summer. If anybody else wants to write up some challenging quizzes in
              the mean time, I'll be happy to take them and see how well I fare when
              I'm not writing the questions =D

              See ya!
            • rja_carnegie
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2008
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "sanf_sara" <sanf_sara@...> wrote:
                > EASY
                >
                > 1. How does Agatha discover her true identity?

                Hagrid bursts through the door and announces...
                oh, wrong story. Klaus, ja?

                > 2. Who fixed the Silverodeon?

                Quark the Ferengi barkeeper was taking a lot of
                bets on... oh, wrong story.

                > 3. "No one will EVER hurt ANYONE else I love EVER
                > AGAIN, or else I'll-" Who says this to Zeetha?

                Scarlett O'Hara -

                > 4. "... and boil the seas around you for the next
                > thousand years!" Who is Gil threatening?

                Cthulhu -

                (I browse the Web without images by default, so I
                missed out on Google "Image results for Cthulhu".
                It probably works too for gorgon, basilisk, etc.)

                > 5. Why is Agatha's music important?

                Her compositions, particularly those of her later
                period, are notable for their contrapuntal texture,
                rich chromaticism, harmonies and orchestration,
                and elaborate use of leitmotifs: musical themes
                associated with specific characters, locales, or
                plot elements. She pioneered advances in musical
                language, such as extreme chromaticism and quickly
                shifting tonal centres, which greatly influenced
                the development of European classical music.

                No, I'm a fool - that was Richard Wagner (Wikipedia).

                > 6. What did Agatha do in Sturmhalten?

                For the answer, see _I Know What You Did In Sturmhalten_,
                directed by Jim Gillespie, with actors Jennifer Love Hewitt,
                Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe - now out on DVD.

                > 7. To whose music does Agatha dance?

                The nasty boogie. (He shows up in person at the end of
                volume eight.)

                > 8. How does Gil react when he strikes the army outside
                Mechanicsburg?

                "If the management does not recognise the legitimate
                aspirations of the workforce for a living wage,
                reasonable working hours, and paid leave, - "

                > 9) What is the irony of Zeetha taking vengeance on
                > the pirates?

                Since early childhood, she herself was apprenticed to
                the same band of pirates, because of a ridiculous
                misunderstanding by a nanny with hearing impairment -

                > 10) As far as we know, who tries to assassinate
                > Baron Wulfenbach?

                Women?

                > MEDIUM
                >
                > 1. "Everything that I am dictates that I do this." Do what?

                Take shorthand notation, badly.

                > 2. In which of the following scenes does Agatha hum?

                From when she wakes up on Castle Wulfenbach to when
                she takes a shower bath.

                > 3. "Well, we're in a Heterodyne story now. These
                > things happen." What is this quote referring to?

                Agatha's house lands right on top of Baron Wulfenbach,
                liberating the Munchkins from their servitude to -
                it's happening again, isn't it?

                > 4. What is the most likely reason for Beetle trying
                > to kill Agatha?

                Jealousy. Beetle caught Gil glancing at her
                appreciatively, and this will not do.
                Gil must belong to Beetle, only to Beetle!

                > 5. Who is "story boy"?

                Victor Appleton.

                > 6. "For here you will find the greatest dissemblance
                > of heroes in all of Europe!" Who says this?

                Mrs Malaprop.

                > 7. Who has the last line in "Race to the West Pole"?

                Mickey, the Finn.

                Superstitious actors don't quote it, they call it
                "the Finnish line".

                > 8. "It was the end of our world." Who says this?

                Michael Stipe.

                > 9. In the "Dragon from Mars", what was the
                > Heterodynes' initial plan?

                "H".

                > 10. "I don't understand it. Dupree saw her alive."
                > Why does it not make sense?

                Dupree has been blind from birth. Amazing that she
                copes so well...

                > HARD
                >
                > 1. Which of following, as far as we know, saves Agatha
                > from imminent death?

                Feeding the cat.

                > 2. Which of the following do we see produce sparky music?

                Jean-Michel Jarre. The London video was amazing.

                > 3. Which town did Othar not "save"?

                Sim New Orleans. /Always/ take a backup!

                > 4. "... having utterly failed the Heterodynes."
                > To whom is this referring?

                Dr. Beetle, who marked their University finals.

                > 5. "[blah blah] ... and you're treating it like
                > a kitchen accident?!" What prompts this line?

                A kitchen accident.
                (Hiding smirks, the other students pretend to
                Agatha that it's a perfectly normal meal.)

                > 6. Who says "Now their romantic imaginations are
                > all fired up"?

                Phil Foglio, a couple pages from the end of
                "Revenge of the Weasel Queen, Part Two".

                > 7. Who was attacked by Bangladesh Dupree
                > (and survived)?

                King's bishop pawn. She got most of the other pieces
                but lost the game - but Klaus decided not to mention it.
                If she's happy...

                > 8. Who agrees to kill Agatha should she fall under
                > the Other's control?

                Trick question. Vrin agrees to kill Agatha, and /is/
                under the Other's control.

                > 9. "Not a word. Not a whisper." Who says this?

                I don't know, he didn't tell me.

                > 10. In context, what does the word "ordinary" signify?

                An alternative to "breakfasty".
              • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 10, 2008
                  On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 02:29:52AM -0000, rja_carnegie wrote:

                  This was mostly hilarious; thank you.

                  > > 10) As far as we know, who tries to assassinate
                  > > Baron Wulfenbach?
                  >
                  > Women?

                  Especially the Sparky ones.

                  > > 6. "For here you will find the greatest dissemblance
                  > > of heroes in all of Europe!" Who says this?
                  >
                  > Mrs Malaprop.

                  And me (feeling embarrassed that I missed this one).