Re: Sparky Romance Movies

  • studiofoglio
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 2 4:23 PM
      Dear me, no, Klaus isn't that mushy. Gil is about to go through a
      seriously byronic period, tho... Come on, you don't think we'd
      make things TOO easy for them, did you?
      --Kaja

      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Julie Winters
      <boxoshadows@y...> wrote:
      > "It's horrible because it's been DONE TO DEATH!"
      >

      > Yes, but because this is a sparky mad-scientist type place, it
      can be hooked up to a tesla coil and resurrected for another
      go....

      <daglob@y...>
      <cyfarwydd@e...>
      > > wrote:

      Agatha
      > > envisioned
      > cut...
      > > Gil
      > Effect,
      > > and
      > and
      > he
      > > monsters
      > Soupy
      > more
      > > >
      > > > 1) Don't go giving them ideas and/or spoiling Issue 11
      > before
      > > it's out!
      > > >
      > > > 2) What could POSSIBLY be more sinister than anything
      Girl
      > > Genius Fans
      > > > can imagine?!?
      > >

      > Actually, I can think of one thing that is too horrible to consider:
      > the old "Studying live brains and/or draining the pituatary
      hormone
      > to restore hideously deformed/disfigured/aged love of his life to
      > her former beauty and/or make him immortal, but the pricess
      kills
      > the victim". It's horrible because it's been DONE TO DEATH!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > Stephen Hawking, as a zombie: "Branes....BRANES!"
      > "Mad enough to wish for what she was not mad enough to
      grasp--now there was singularly useless lunacy." - Lois
      McMaster Bujold

      http://legato_bluesummers.tripod.com/vampire/christmas.htm

    • Wayne B. Houseknecht
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2 8:27 PM
        > 2) What could POSSIBLY be more sinister than anything Girl Genius Fans
        > can imagine?!?
        >
        > Cyfarwydd

        Anything Phil(tm) would come up with, for starters...
      • mokspr
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2 10:10 PM
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, studiofoglio <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Dear me, no, Klaus isn't that mushy. Gil is about to go through a
          > seriously byronic period, tho... Come on, you don't think we'd
          > make things TOO easy for them, did you?
          > --Kaja

          You know I could make a really bad pun out of certain elements of
          that statement, but I won't. Not even for six million dollars. :)
        • pmaclanderson
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3 10:08 AM
            But if you tell us, you can borrow the Left-Handed Fettucini Cutter;
            and if the pun's bad enough, I know what Dr Frankenwhopper was going
            to do with it....

            [Secret Plans, cheap!]

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 3 9:59 PM
              OK you asked for it.

              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "pmaclanderson" <pmanderson@h...>
              wrote:
              > But if you tell us, you can borrow the Left-Handed Fettucini
              Cutter;
              > and if the pun's bad enough, I know what Dr Frankenwhopper was
              going
              > to do with it....
              >
              > [Secret Plans, cheap!]
              >
              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, mokspr <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, studiofoglio <no_reply@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Dear me, no, Klaus isn't that mushy. Gil is about to go
              through
              > > > seriously byronic period, tho...

              Gee you mean Gil will become "The Bryonic Man"?!
              /Richard [ducking under his desk to avoid a sudden barrage of
              rotten tomatoes]
            • chembiogrrl
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 8 11:19 PM
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Jackson" <daglob@y...> wrote:

                > Still, one wonders why so many movie adaptations of fictional
                > characters seem to use little of the source material. X-Men and
                > Spider-Man aside, most other movies seem to want ot take the basic
                > concepts and create another whole universe. Even X-Men and Spider-
                > Man have significant differences between the comics and the movies
                > (and the present comics have significant differences between them
                > and the ones I read 40 years ago), but the spirit, the basic
                > concepts, the things that make us care about these characters is
                > intact (except for he death of Jean Gray in X-2; that was stupid).
                > Imagine a Girl Genius movie gone horribly wrong... Agatha envisioned
                > by a foul-mouthed street kid with black hair and a pixie cut... Gil
                > wracked with guilt over his having to place his first bride in
                > suspended animation after she contracted The Heathcliff Effect, and
                > his feeling for Agatha a knife twisting in his heart... Adam and
                > Lilith hiding the fact that in order to live they must consume he
                > life force of the living... Bill and Barry revealed to be monsters
                > of such an order to make great uncle Het'Rok Dyne look like Soupy
                > Sales... and Klaus's brain coring experiments are far, far, more
                > sinister than anyone could ever imagine...

                I'm surprised nobody's brought up the peculiar metamorphosis of The Warrior's
                Apprentice in a screenplay that (luckily) didn't get produced. Apparently the author
                didn't use enough cliches, so the screenwriters had to steal the most inappropriate
                ones from other series to beef it up a bit. They had no clue whatsoever of the spirit of
                anything about the book... it was just another space opera with names they could
                paste onto generic characters (who were probably easier to write). The idea that
                someone might be poking a bit of fun at stereotypical scifi (and doing something
                original) went so far over their heads, it ran into a satellite.

              • pmaclanderson
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 9 12:08 AM
                  And then there are the people who are going to adapt Moon is a Harsh
                  Mistress, and think Peter Jackson's adaption was a perfect model...

                  I can see it now, lots of low-G battle scenes and naked Lunar babes -
                  and it will put off actual movie of Moon for twenty years - if not
                  forever.

                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@y...>