The Foglios, wrestling fans?

  • Erika Westberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
      This is probably one of those questions that gets answered every time a
      newbie comes around. But I wonder if the Foglios are fans of old wrestling?

      I started watching/reading about wrestling a couple of months ago, and
      suddenly stumbled over this famous guy from the sixties/seventies called
      "The Iron Sheik". Now, I guess that wrestlers are probably more well-known
      over there than here in Sweden, and so it might not be as obscure as I
      thought - but I still wonder if it's a playful wink like those signs in
      Mechanicsburg playing around with other webcomics.

      /Erika W

    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
        "Erika Westberg" <erika.westberg@...> wrote:
        > This is probably one of those questions that gets
        > answered every time a newbie comes around. But
        > I wonder if the Foglios are fans of old wrestling?

        Or old fans (or fan) of wrestling... I think it
        could be just coincidence, though. Attaching
        adjectives to titles of rank to make a striking
        dramatic character is common in fiction as well
        as in public commentary. Germany had an
        "Iron Chancellor", Britain had an "Iron Lady"...
        now in GG you're liable to be lumbered with an
        industrial-revolution tag usually referring to
        what appears to be your principal gimmick (unless
        you are deliberately misdirecting), such as the
        Magnetic Prince, the Electric Count, the Copper
        Czar, the Aluminium Heir Apparent... you see? ;-)