Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Er what the convo?

  • random832@fastmail.us
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
      On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:04:51 -0000, "dragonland2001"
      > Vole was making the point that "shutting down the Castle
      > to prove that Zola is the new Heterodyne" was an outlandish prospect.

      The danger here is that Gil might believe him. This is a problem
      because, as we know, that is, in fact, precisely what Zola intends to
      do.

      Now, as *we* all know, just because it can't possibly work is no reason
      a Spark won't try it. But, we (and perhaps Othar alone among the
      characters) have the advantage of genre-awareness. I would be
      unsurprised if, based on what Vole just said, Gil stops planning for
      (or, at least considers such planning a distant low priority) the
      possibility that this is what Zola is trying to do.

      With hilarious consequences.
      --
      Random832
    • William Jackson
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
        I'm wondering which part of that list of actions Gil
        is picturing Agatha doing...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Captain Kordite
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
          > The only question I have is, how far along did Gil get in building a
          > mental image of Vole's comment before his brain blue-screened...

          I interpret it as the entire program running through to the end. (He
          is a spark, after all.)

          * The graphic images of nekkidness and destruction.
          * The crazed reaction of the citizenry of Mechanicsburg.
          * Realizing his father would recognize it as Hetrodyne proof.
          * Realizing WHY his father would recognize it as Hetrodyne proof.
          * His own recognition as to the constitution of Hetrodyne proof.
          * His realization that he's as messed up as his father.
          * Island of the Monkey Girls.
          * Ping.

          Kordite
        • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
            > The only question I had after reading that is, "What sort of cheese
            > will the fountain be, er, 'fountaining'?"

            The only question I have is, how far along did Gil get in building a
            mental image of Vole's comment before his brain blue-screened...
            --------------------
            I imagine his brain is just fine. For one, he's a Spark. For two, he's
            his Father's son. For three, he *did* go to college. For four, I'll bet
            in his imagination, he's joined in and *improved* the cheesy goodness!

            Kate McClure
            Cackle and the world cackles with you. Rant, and you rant alone.
            - M.E.

          • Daniel N.
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <forgot_dot@...> wrote:

              > However I couldn't BEGIN to make heads or tails of Vole and Gil's
              > exchange, which started logically and then went totally crazy.

              All right. I'll take a stab at it. :)

              I'll just deal with the crazy part. Vole says that
              destroying/shutting down the castle would not make people accept Zola
              as a true Heterodyne heir, which is reasonable enough.

              However, Vole suggests that if Zola were to then go on to dance naked
              through the ruins of the now destroyed Castle Heterodyne, all the
              while trying to shoot down the moon with a giant death ray, mutates
              tourists into monsters, and builds a dangerous (not sure how it could
              be dangerous) fountain out of sausages, then THAT show of insanity
              would win over the people to believe she was a Heterodyne.

              Not sure if that answers your questions. I'll know if I get a Dingbot
              in the mail.
            • Erin C.
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
                On 11/2/07, dragonland2001 <dragonland2001@...> wrote:
                > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <forgot_dot@...> wrote:

                > The only question I had after reading that is, "What sort of cheese
                > will the fountain be, er, 'fountaining'?"

                Girl Genius Yahoogroups: where every conversation ends up as a debate
                about what sort of cheese to use...

                ern
                --
                "I don't know what I'm supposed to do. All I can do is grow plants
                and watch sunsets and listen to stories."
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
                  The fountain would be dangerous if it *made* sausages rather than be
                  made *of* same.
                • Jon Kelley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Probably "... dancing nekkid through the ruins vile trying to shoot down the moon."

                    At least, that's what I'd started picturing (I'm married, I'm not /dead/. At the moment, anyhow...)

                  • Jefferson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Bob wrote:
                      > However I couldn't BEGIN to make heads or tails of Vole and Gil's
                      > exchange, which started logically and then went totally crazy.

                      Well, you see the Heterodynes have a style that's all their own.
                      They aren't just sparks, they're *SCHPARKZ*. A dead castle
                      won't prove someone is a heterodyne. However, a castle that was
                      ruined in pursuit of trying to shoot down the moon, by a spark so
                      (self) centered that s/he forgot to put hisser clothes on, who
                      then proceeds to show himmer power by turning the tourists (who
                      heesh doesn't have any responsibility for after all) into
                      monsters. Well, that _might_ be a heterodyne. No one's going to
                      disagree after all. Then if that same person does something
                      completely as outlandish and hostile as building a dangerous
                      fountain out of sausages. Well, _who_cares_ if they're a
                      Heterodyne? They've proven they've got the *right schtuff*.

                      --
                      Jefferson
                      http://www.meanspc.com/~jeff_wilson63/fiction/
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 2007
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Captain Kordite" <kordite2@...> wrote:
                        > I interpret it as the entire program running through to the end. (He
                        > is a spark, after all.)
                        >
                        > * The graphic images of nekkidness and destruction.
                        > * The crazed reaction of the citizenry of Mechanicsburg.
                        > * Realizing his father would recognize it as Hetrodyne proof.
                        > * Realizing WHY his father would recognize it as Hetrodyne proof.
                        > * His own recognition as to the constitution of Hetrodyne proof.
                        > * His realization that he's as messed up as his father.
                        > * Island of the Monkey Girls.
                        > * Ping.

                        Now I have a strong urge to draw out this entire sequence.
                        ...If I do, I promise to post and accredit.
                      • dragonland2001
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 3, 2007
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, random832@... wrote:

                          > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:04:51 -0000, "dragonland2001"
                          > > Vole was making the point that "shutting down the Castle
                          > > to prove that Zola is the new Heterodyne" was an outlandish
                          prospect.

                          > The danger here is that Gil might believe him. This is a problem
                          > because, as we know, that is, in fact, precisely what Zola intends to
                          > do.
                          >
                          > Now, as *we* all know, just because it can't possibly work is no reason
                          > a Spark won't try it. But, we (and perhaps Othar alone among the
                          > characters) have the advantage of genre-awareness. I would be
                          > unsurprised if, based on what Vole just said, Gil stops planning for
                          > (or, at least considers such planning a distant low priority) the
                          > possibility that this is what Zola is trying to do.
                          >
                          > With hilarious consequences.
                          > --
                          > Random832

                          Yeah. My typical reaction to "that's impossible!" is "Oh, so there
                          /is/ a way to do it, then? Probably at least two..."

                          "The difficult we do right away. The impossible by appointment."
                        • rja_carnegie
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 4, 2007
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com,
                            "dragonland2001" <dragonland2001@...> wrote:
                            > Easy enough - Vole was making the point that
                            > "shutting down the Castle to prove that Zola
                            > is the new Heterodyne" was an outlandish
                            > prospect.

                            Well, yes and no. Control of a functioning
                            Castle will convince that you're the Heterodyne.
                            Control of a non-functioning Castle just means
                            that you broke it. But non-control of a
                            functioning Castle means that people won't
                            accept you because the Castle hasn't accepted
                            you. Zola needs to possess the Castle, if only
                            to kill it. And if she can't demonstrate control,
                            she also needs other "evidence" of Heterodyne-ness.
                            Hence shooting the moon, et cetera?? :-)
                          • Bob
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 9, 2007
                              and builds a dangerous (not sure how it could
                              > be dangerous) fountain out of sausages

                              Well, it could be built out of UNDERCOOKED sausages, and we all know
                              that undercooked meat can be dangerous to eat!