Re: [Girl Genius] "Not a person, not alive?"

  • Martin J Hooper
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30, 2007
      tom_brosz wrote:
      > First thing that popped into my head was one of the remaining Muses.
      > But I don't think "creepy" when I think of those--they used to
      > entertain people.

      Maybe their programming has been corrupted and are now creepy
      rather than friendly...
    • David Chapman
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
        tom_brosz wrote:
        > First thing that popped into my head was one of the remaining Muses.

        I think I would go with Erin's suggestion that von Mekkhan is referring to
        der Kestle's AI... or one of them... except I'd presume those things would
        be in the Castle.

        Actually, back up there - a thought. What if the Castle went mad/schizo
        because its central control AI was removed, leaving all the subsystems
        functioning but out of touch with one another? Then it *could* be the AI
        von mekkhan is taking Agatha to see.
      • brellchild
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
          > > First thing that popped into my head was one of the remaining
          > Muses.
          > > But I don't think "creepy" when I think of those--they used to
          > > entertain people.
          >
          > Maybe their programming has been corrupted and are now creepy
          > rather than friendly...

          And what would a homicidal ancestral Heterodyne
          consider entertaining?

          And friendly?

          I have to admit I didn't immediately think of the
          Muses when I read today's comic but it does make
          sense in a twisted sort of way. Given the apparent
          range of Agatha's ancestors' rampages I wouldn't be
          at all surpised to see Muses (or parts thereof) show
          up somewhere.

          Heck, maybe the guy that 'awakened' the Castle was a
          student of Von Rijin.
        • Thomas Erickson
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
            <martinjh@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20%22Not%20a%20person%2C%20not%20alive%3F%22>
            martinjh99 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/martinjh99> >Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:59 pm
            (PST) >tom_brosz wrote:
            >> First thing that popped into my head was one of the remaining Muses.
            >> But I don't think "creepy" when I think of those--they used to
            >> entertain people.

            >Maybe their programming has been corrupted and are now creepy
            >rather than friendly...

            Perhaps Herr RvR created a Mime Muse.
            BwaHaHaHA! MADE YOU FLINCH!
            Mad Dr Thomas

          • David Hoover
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
              > Maybe their programming has been corrupted and are now creepy

              Maybe one of them is... a clown.

              Geech

            • langevisier
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "David Hoover" <geech000@...> wrote:

                > > Maybe their programming has been corrupted and are now creepy
                >
                > Maybe one of them is... a clown.
                >
                > Geech

                I'm thinking of something in the H.R. Geiger family... with perhaps a clown wig.
              • Martin J Hooper
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                  langevisier wrote:
                  > I'm thinking of something in the H.R. Geiger family... with perhaps a clown wig.

                  An Alien from the movie of the same name? I'm sure HR Giger did
                  the design for those!
                • langevisier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...> wrote:

                    > langevisier wrote:
                    > > I'm thinking of something in the H.R. Geiger family... with perhaps a clown wig.
                    >
                    > An Alien from the movie of the same name? I'm sure HR Giger did
                    > the design for those!

                    But the multicolor clown wig is an integral part of the whole! With out the wig it would be
                    useless, USELESS I SAY!
                  • Daniel N.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                      I'm gonna guess it's Dr. Mongfish, Lucrezia's father.

                      The cast page says he died in an attack on Castle Heterodyne (after he
                      was reformed and now good). And seeing how he once was an evil
                      villain, it's quite possible he cheated true death as villains are
                      known to do. hehehehe!

                      No doubt he's a brain in a jar, or something. But it depends if being
                      a former person counts as "not a person."

                      ...Or maybe it's the Cryptkeeper. I don't know!
                      "Hello, kiddies. YeeaHHAHAHAHAHAHAaaa!!!"
                    • Martin J Hooper
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                        Daniel N. wrote:
                        > I'm gonna guess it's Dr. Mongfish, Lucrezia's father.

                        That would make him Agatha's grandfather right?
                      • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                          I'm gonna guess it's Dr. Mongfish, Lucrezia's father.
                          -------------------------

                          Grandpa in a Jar? Ewwwwwwwwww!

                          Kate McClure
                          Thoroughly Squicked

                        • Daniel N.
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@...> wrote:

                            > Daniel N. wrote:
                            > > I'm gonna guess it's Dr. Mongfish, Lucrezia's father.
                            >
                            > That would make him Agatha's grandfather right?

                            Yupper.

                            We never really got to know him other than in a fake Heterodyne story
                            Dumedd made up.

                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)"
                            <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:

                            > Grandpa in a Jar? Ewwwwwwwwww!
                            >
                            > Kate McClure
                            > Thoroughly Squicked

                            Well...it could be a really nice jar. And maybe he has robotic arms
                            and legs, and a backpocket where he keeps his wallet, so he can pull
                            it out to show you pictures of his grandchildren, Agatha and Dumedd.

                            =D
                          • Jacques R. Kilchoer
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N." <bdd_imagine@...> wrote:

                              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Hooper <martinjh@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Daniel N. wrote:
                              > > > I'm gonna guess it's Dr. Mongfish, Lucrezia's father.
                              > >
                              > > That would make him Agatha's grandfather right?
                              > >

                              > Yupper.
                              >
                              > We never really got to know him other than in a fake Heterodyne story
                              > Dumedd made up.

                              How much of that story is fake? I always thought that the story was
                              meant to give us valuable clues (along with some misdirection) as to
                              what really happened to the Heterodyne boys.
                            • Daniel N.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques R. Kilchoer"
                                <jacquesrk@...> wrote:

                                > How much of that story is fake? I always thought that the story was
                                > meant to give us valuable clues (along with some misdirection) as to
                                > what really happened to the Heterodyne boys.

                                That's what I thought too. But Theo Dumedd did say he just made it
                                up: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030905

                                So I was kinda confused, because like you, I thought it was supposed
                                to offer some clues. However, it's still possible he infused some
                                real events into the story.
                              • snor167
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                                  "Not a person, not alive"

                                  I think it's a version of the gate golems/gargoyles that Carson sat
                                  next to at the gates of Mechanicsberg. The one in the vault may be
                                  the oldest and smartest one. Gargoyles are protectors, so it would
                                  make sense that it would know what's what in the castle. Agatha needs
                                  to know what to do to control the castle and keep it from killing
                                  anyone. She needs to know how to evict Zola and the scientists too.
                                • Mary Lowe-Hentges
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                                    langevisier wrote:
                                    > I'm thinking of something in the H.R. Geiger family... with perhaps a clown wig.

                                    Oh great, now I'm thinking of Emmett Kelly as drawn by Geiger on black velvet...

                                    Annechen Loewenstein
                                    non scripta non est

                                  • Erin C.
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                                      David Chapman wrote:
                                      > I think I would go with Erin's suggestion that von Mekkhan is referring to der Kestle's AI... or one of them... except I'd presume those things would be in the Castle.

                                      Well, I'm not too attached to the idea, but I don't think it's
                                      unreasonable. I feel it's been implied that the Kestle's systems
                                      stretch all the way to the gate of the town. I suppose the Gate Golems
                                      could be completely autonomous, but some level of Kestle control is what
                                      I took from the statement "in times of war people swore it helped defend
                                      the town".

                                      ern

                                      --
                                      "Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be."
                                      ~ Ambrose Bierce

                                      "Cynical is a word used by the frightened to describe the realistic."
                                      ~ Snog, Australian industrial rock band
                                    • tater_tot16
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 1, 2007
                                        > > Daniel N. wrote:
                                        > > > I'm gonna guess it's Dr. Mongfish, Lucrezia's father.

                                        * * * *

                                        > > Grandpa in a Jar? Ewwwwwwwwww!

                                        * * * *

                                        > Well...it could be a really nice jar. And maybe he has robotic arms
                                        > and legs, and a backpocket where he keeps his wallet, so he can pull
                                        > it out to show you pictures of his grandchildren, Agatha and Dumedd.

                                        I'm thinking that although Lucrezia was married into the family, the
                                        Heterodynes would not have divulged the secrets of their castle to a
                                        Mongfish.

                                        But as far as the whole "brain in a jar" theory, I like where y'all
                                        are going...

                                        which reminds me of this hilarious (and free) pod cast I've been
                                        listening to called, "How to Succeed in Evil," by Patrick McLane
                                        (sp?). The protagonist's business card reads "Edwin Windsor, Evil
                                        Efficiency Consultant." And yes, there is at least one brain
                                        transplated into a jar-and-robot contraption.

                                        kristen
                                      • langevisier
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 5, 2007
                                          > > > I'm thinking of something in the H.R. Geiger family... with perhaps a clown wig.
                                          > >
                                          > > An Alien from the movie of the same name? I'm sure HR Giger did
                                          > > the design for those!
                                          > >
                                          > But the multicolor clown wig is an integral part of the whole! With out the wig it would be
                                          > useless, USELESS I SAY!

                                          PROOF! MUHahahahahahahaha!

                                          http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clownkv4.jpg