Re: Ada Re: [Girl Genius] Re: Real Girl Geniuses

  • Damien Sullivan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
      > On 3 Mar 2004, at 12:31 AM, Mike Boomshadow wrote:
      >
      > > I've always been a fan of RADM Grace Murray Hopper (aka "Amazing
      > > Grace"). She's not as visually stunning as Agatha or (possibly) the
      > > Countess (anyone have a portrait of her?), but she had the smarts.
      >
      > On the other hand, she did help to invent and popularize COBOL...
      > (Yes, yes, I know, it was a good thing to move to high-level languages
      > with natural language keywords, but still, COBOL. [shudder])

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

      says she developed the first compiler period, if she didn't invent the actual
      concept. (And that's before the heavily Englished COBOL.)

      I haven't seen anyone mention it, but it seems like she'd have to be one of
      the early female Admirals. Or early female members of the Navy, period.

      -xx- Damien X-)
    • Sten
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
        Damien Sullivan <phoenix@...> writes:

        > On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 03:17:55AM -0500, Santiago wrote:
        > > On 3 Mar 2004, at 12:31 AM, Mike Boomshadow wrote:
        > >
        > > > I've always been a fan of RADM Grace Murray Hopper (aka "Amazing
        > > > Grace"). She's not as visually stunning as Agatha or (possibly) the
        > > > Countess (anyone have a portrait of her?), but she had the smarts.
        > >
        > > On the other hand, she did help to invent and popularize COBOL...
        > > (Yes, yes, I know, it was a good thing to move to high-level languages
        > > with natural language keywords, but still, COBOL. [shudder])
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper
        >
        > says she developed the first compiler period, if she didn't invent the actual
        > concept. (And that's before the heavily Englished COBOL.)
        >
        > I haven't seen anyone mention it, but it seems like she'd have to be one of
        > the early female Admirals. Or early female members of the Navy, period.

        A Navy press release from the time of the establishment of WAVES is at
        http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq48-3b.htm . "Amazing Grace" first joined
        the Naval Reserves in 1943, so she was one of the early WAVES. And based upon
        http://www.hopper.navy.mil/grace/grace.htm , she was a true hacker (and GG):
        "When she saw [the Mark I], all she could think about was taking it apart and
        figuring it out."

        Reading some of the on-line bios, I have to wonder if Issac Asimov used Grace
        Hopper as inspiration for Susan Calvin.

        Regards, Sten
        --
        De Gubernaculo Venimus et Adservirevos Volumus
        - Proposed motto for the Federal government