Re: [Girl Genius] OT SUVs (was: Emerald City Comicon)

  • Alice Bentley
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      >But I've updated the bloggy-thing if anyone wants to read about
      >Phil's rental car.
      >http://www.studiofoglio.com/crew/kaja/diary.html

      In defense of Sport Utility Vehicles, the only really questionable
      thing about many of them is the gas mileage.

      We bought one of the first cars like them, a Toyota 4Runner, back
      before they invented the term SUV. At that time, the car was
      basically a four wheel drive pickup truck with some passenger seats
      tacked in. We chose it because we often carry a lot of stuff places
      (hucking books at conventions, camping for a week in the mountains)
      and every now and then (mostly while camping) there's been places we
      would have gone to if we thought our old Tercel would have made it,
      but we knew it wouldn't.

      If you have two kids or more (we don't) only the SUVs and the
      Minivans will let you pick up the kids from school while
      simultaneously carrying their hockey gear, soccer stuff and their
      cello.

      Really, the biggest problem with them has been the drivers, who seem
      to think the increased height actually removes all the smaller cars
      from the road. Or maybe they would drive that way no matter what car
      they chose...

      Alice
    • Bill Jackson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        > Really, the biggest problem with them has been the drivers, who
        seem
        > to think the increased height actually removes all the smaller
        cars
        > from the road. Or maybe they would drive that way no matter what
        car
        > they chose...

        It's kind of give and take. I've driven heavy equipment: dump
        trucks, asphalt rollers, cherry pickers, road graders, even
        bulldozers (talk about your "go anywhere" vehicle), and you often
        run into drivers (no pun intended) who think that you can see their
        Honda Car if they pull up so they can read the small print on your
        car tag, or position themselves so hey can reach out and touch part
        of your vehicle. There is also the assumption on the part of some
        people that the huge, hulking mass of steel moving along at 30-40
        miles an hour can stop on a dime, or manuever like a sports car. I
        don't believe I need to tell anyone on this list that they don't.
        Of course, there a people who drive the above listed vehicles who,
        upon getting into the seat and taking the steering wheel/control
        levers in their hands, allow their maniacal tendencies to take over,
        and decide to show the ALL! BWAAAH-HAAAA-AAAA! (Crunch)
      • Susan Fox-Davis
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          > >But I've updated the bloggy-thing if anyone wants to read about
          > >Phil's rental car.
          > >http://www.studiofoglio.com/crew/kaja/diary.html
          >
          > In defense of Sport Utility Vehicles, the only really questionable
          > thing about many of them is the gas mileage.

          I'm getting a respectable 24 mpg in my 2003 Saturn VUE, which is big
          enough to give me some useful visibility but small enough to keep me
          from becoming a road hog. I'm in SF Fandom and the SCA so I carry
          around a lot of Stuff, plus my usual overcautious emergency kit. Los
          Angeles being "Shakeytown" and having a wet winter, it's just a good
          idea. I feel cozier just knowing that there are dry socks available at
          all times, don't you?

          Susan Fox-Davis
        • ericoppen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Alice Bentley <alice@s...> wrote:
            > >But I've updated the bloggy-thing if anyone wants to read about
            > >Phil's rental car.
            > >http://www.studiofoglio.com/crew/kaja/diary.html
            >
            > In defense of Sport Utility Vehicles, the only really questionable
            > thing about many of them is the gas mileage.

            I'm on the road a lot (very long story) and I see lots of SUVs. This
            being the Upper Midwest, they do make considerable sense---their
            higher clearance and 4WD capability come in mighty handy in the
            winter.

            About my only real objections to them are the idiots who tailgate me
            at night in them, since their headlights are almost exactly at the
            level of my RV mirrors. I've been tempted to use the spots on my ex-
            cop Caprice for a little retaliation, but with my luck I'd do it
            right in front of a real cop.

            As far as them being difficult to see around---I'd like to see the
            Californians who whine about that dealing with the farm machinery we
            get on the roads around here in spring and fall. S-l-o-w and real
            tricky to get around.

            Oh---I haven't forgotten the group; I am having trouble with my ISP
            and can only read the group online.
          • Geoff Engel
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
              Despite being Californian, after being trapped behind an M-60 tank on a
              flatbed truck on a long stretch of desert highway with no turnouts I no
              longer complain about seeing around SUV's...

              ericoppen wrote:

              >As far as them being difficult to see around---I'd like to see the
              >Californians who whine about that dealing with the farm machinery we
              >get on the roads around here in spring and fall. S-l-o-w and real
              >tricky to get around.

            • Mike Boomshadow
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
                Bill Jackson wrote:

                > Of course, there a people who drive the above listed vehicles who,
                > upon getting into the seat and taking the steering wheel/control
                > levers in their hands, allow their maniacal tendencies to take over,
                > and decide to show the ALL! BWAAAH-HAAAA-AAAA! (Crunch)

                There's also the fact that I have yet to see a person who can drive get
                behind the wheel of the Hummer H2 (What? You think this Chevy Tahoe is
                too efficient, maneuverable, and reliable?! We'll fix THAT! Here's the
                H2! Same frame, new crap on top!)

                Perry

                "Tennis is irrelevant." - Bjorn Borg