Random notes

  • kytross
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 14, 2007
      Here they are in no particular order:

      I. The Von Pinn mystery

      A. Von Pinn obeys Lucrenzia Mongfish Hetrodyne by voice command,
      like the geisterdamen. She is probably a construct of Lu's, or a
      construct built to obey Lu.

      B. Despite Bill and Lu's marriage, Punch and Judy do not recognize
      Von Pinn as a threat, as shown by Punch's assault.

      C. Von Pinn is probably from this time period as we have been given
      no indication to believe otherwise.

      II. Gilgamesh Wolfenbach's mother

      A. Klaus was sent away, childless, by Lu. He returned with child.

      B. The English connection

      1. While in the presence of Wooster, and even when not, Gil
      wears an oval sigal with a cross embedded in it. This is very similar
      to the symbol of Britain as depicted on the Trelawny Thorpe books. It
      has long been theorized that Gil was wearing his mother's sigal.

      2. Klaus will not go to Britain as long as Albia still rules.
      Additionally every female spark Klaus has ever met has tried to kill
      him.

      3. Alistair Wooster was spying on Gil in Paris and continuing.
      While this could be normal espionage between countries, it could also
      be taken as a mother checking up on her son. This is a Victorian
      Europe that wasn't, and Queen Victoria was the grandmother of Europe.

      C. The Skifander connection

      1. Klaus thinks Zeetha may have been sent to kill Gil because he
      had the audacity to keep Gil alive.

      2. The Skifander noble society is extremely matriarchal, perhaps
      to the extent of eliminating Male heirs?

      III. The Other

      A. Lucrenzia Mongfish Hetrodyne has her first appearance on page 4.

      B. Agatha, with Von Zinzer, Gil, and the Geisterdamen in tow,
      attempt time travel as recorded in Bang's Phenomena log.

      C. Dimensional matrix harmonics are Theo's (spontaneous?) theory of
      the origin of the Other.

      D. The more Klaus studies the work of the Other the more he sees a
      similarity to the work of Lucrenzia Mongfish, but exponentially more
      complex.

      E. The Geisterdamen consider this world to be the "Shadow World"
      and wherever they're from to be the real world. Lucrenzia Mongfish is
      their "Eternal Lady" who has appeared to them often, but not always in
      the same form. She arrived pregnant and in great distress because it
      was the time of war amongst the gods. After the Geisterdamen lost
      Agatha, presumably to Uncle Barry, Lu arrived as the Other (same glove
      as in page 4) and sent the Geisterdamen to the shadow world to search
      for Agatha.

      F. Lucrenzia built a device that allows her consciousness to be
      transferred to another. This leads me to two theories:

      1. Presumably Lu made a recording of her consciousness and
      memories from a certain point before the Other was stopped and stored
      them in the machine. If this is the case then Lunevka and LuAgatha
      have incomplete memories of the entire Other fiasco.

      2. Lu's very essence, her soul if you will, is kept in some form
      of stasis, probably pan-dimensional/temporal, so when she is
      downloaded her sould is downloaded as well. For Harry Potter fans
      this would be similar to Voldemort waiting in his ghost form for a
      horcrux or some such to reawaken him from death.

      G. Klaus Barry Hetrodyne, Lu's son, died during the Other's attack
      on Hetrodyne castle.

      H. Lu is a time traveler. She may also be a dimension traveler.
      Consequently her personal time line will not be linear.

      I. This is my theory.

      1. Lu, possibly with her father, was experimenting with
      dimensional/temporal forces.

      2. On the night of the assault on castle Hetrodyne, the initial
      "attack" of the Other and the kidnapping of a pregnant Lucrenzia was
      not an attack at all but the accidental fruition of her experiments.
      I theorize that it was on this night that a pregnant Lucrenzia was
      sent to wherever the Geisterdamen are from.

      3. I theorize that the Geisterdamen come from a separate
      dimension, or a separate time on an isolated island area of earth. I
      theorize that Lucrenzia's relationship with the Geisterdamen is a
      pretzel in time. After meeting the Geisterdamen for the first time
      while pregnant with Agatha, Lucrenzia will go back in time and either
      created the Geisterdamen like the Lackya or genetically experiment on
      humans to turn them into Geisterdamen. She will create her own
      mythology based on her technology that allows her to continually
      transfer her essence from body to body. That is why when she shows up
      pregnant with Agatha that "It was the time of prophecy - beyond which
      even our lady could not see. The Great Battle where she would be
      taken from us." Lu could predict that because from her personal time
      line it had already happened.

      4. The Other's technology is Lucrenzia's after visiting the
      future and embracing their technology, similar to the Hoverconversion
      and Mr. Fusion technology applied to the Delorian in the "Back to the
      Future" movies. I'm theorizing that Lucrenzia does this in an attempt
      to change the future and rule the earth for eternity. From what we've
      seen of time travel in the Girl Genius universe, the time stream is
      immutable, similar to the time stream in Robert A. Heinlein's work,
      most notably "Time Enough for Love" and "To Sail Beyond the Sunset."

      5. I am also theorizing that Lu is stopped by Bill, Barry and
      Agatha. I theorize that Bill is killed by the Other in the process,
      perhaps by a Klaus who was under the control of a slaver wasp. Yes, I
      theorize that Klaus is working for Lu during the confrontation. As
      far as Barry knows a spark cannot be controlled by a slaver wasp so he
      is assuming Klaus is working for Lu voluntarily. We know that he has
      been infected by a slaver wasp and could not stop himself from obeying
      her no matter how much he may want to. This is why Barry does not
      trust Klaus after he returns.

      6. The name "the Other" is very interesting. Assumedly the
      Hetrodyne boys give the Other it's name. I think they kept it
      intentionally vague because they knew it was Lucrenzia and because of
      the time/dimensional travel thought it was a separate Lucrenzia, or an
      Other Lucrenzia.

      7. I theorize that the night of the attack on castle Hetrodyne
      is a temporal foci. Lucrenzia, in her last moment of temporal
      linearity is shot putted through time and space to the Geisterdamen
      lands. Lucrenzia, as the Other, comes back to this day, perhaps to
      stop the death of her son. I theorize that we will eventually see
      Agatha there as well, perhaps to stop the Other's attack.

      Anyway, just a few thoughts. Looking forward to responses.
    • raphfrk
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 14, 2007
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@...> wrote:
        > C. Dimensional matrix harmonics are Theo's (spontaneous?) theory
        > of the origin of the Other.

        Where is that info from ?

        Is it from one of his stories ?
      • kytross
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 14, 2007
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "raphfrk" <raphfrk@...> wrote:

          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@> wrote:
          > > C. Dimensional matrix harmonics are Theo's (spontaneous?) theory
          > > of the origin of the Other.
          >
          > Where is that info from ?
          >
          > Is it from one of his stories ?

          Yes, from his "Dragon King from Mars" story. While obvious not cannon
          so we can't use it as a definitive clue Phil and Kaja told us the
          story for a reason. Some things are obviously false, like Klaus being
          turned into a revenant, but they still gave us a theory of the events
          from the perspective of someone directly effected by them. I left the
          spontaneous in parenthesis to acknowledge that he made it up on the
          spot and it may not be something that he takes seriously. On the
          other hand Klaus has done alot of work with Theo and the idea for
          dimensional harmonics has to come from somewhere.

          It is also the first time we are told about dimensional harmonics.
          Later, when Klaus and Bang are talking we are introduced to the idea
          of time travel.

        • genghishack
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 14, 2007
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@...> wrote:

            <snippety snip snip>

            > 7. I theorize that the night of the attack on castle Hetrodyne
            > is a temporal foci. Lucrenzia, in her last moment of temporal
            > linearity is shot putted through time and space to the Geisterdamen
            > lands. Lucrenzia, as the Other, comes back to this day, perhaps to
            > stop the death of her son. I theorize that we will eventually see
            > Agatha there as well, perhaps to stop the Other's attack.

            I like this idea. A couple of days ago I was imagining the attack on
            the castle as involving several temporal windows opening up at once in
            the central AI room. It could account for why the Other's attacks are
            described as "swift and devastating." Let's say you build up some
            firepower, open up a rift to a specific point in time and launch it,
            build up some more firepower, open up another rift to the same point
            in time, ad infinitum...
          • johanna_von_rhein
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@...> wrote:

              > Here they are in no particular order:
              >

              > 1. Presumably Lu made a recording of her consciousness and
              > memories from a certain point before the Other was stopped and stored
              > them in the machine. If this is the case then Lunevka and LuAgatha
              > have incomplete memories of the entire Other fiasco.

              The only problem with that is that it's called a _summoning_ engine -
              which implies that Lucrezia Mark I herself is someplace else, either
              in the future/past or in another dimension, being called up and
              downloaded into bodies here/now.

              > 2. Lu's very essence, her soul if you will, is kept in some form
              > of stasis, probably pan-dimensional/temporal, so when she is
              > downloaded her sould is downloaded as well. For Harry Potter fans
              > this would be similar to Voldemort waiting in his ghost form for a
              > horcrux or some such to reawaken him from death.

              That would fit with the "Summoning Engine" name, as well, although I'm
              not sure anyone's qualified to pronounce on the ensouledness of
              multiple versions of an originally-organic consciousness (though I bet
              that the masters at Louvain have some interesting speculation on the
              matter). This would also fit with her being surprised (understatement)
              to find out that Klaus is back, and not knowing who's the current
              queen of England, and her crack about knowing what it's like to have
              been out of the loop.
            • jsheikg
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 15, 2007
                > ...it's called a _summoning_ engine, which implies that Lucrezia
                > herself is someplace else...

                And it looks like there is no real communication other than the
                Summoning process. Since MK I seems to be talking to someone else
                off-panel I presume at this point she has already been released and
                can only "now" use the Time Window.

                I think The Plan is that some one of the MK II's is to release MK I
                when she/it has "won" well enough to do so.
              • kytross
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@...> wrote:

                  > Here they are in no particular order:
                  >
                  > I. The Von Pinn mystery
                  >
                  > A. Von Pinn obeys Lucrenzia Mongfish Hetrodyne by voice command,
                  > like the geisterdamen. She is probably a construct of Lu's, or a
                  > construct built to obey Lu.
                  >
                  > B. Despite Bill and Lu's marriage, Punch and Judy do not recognize
                  > Von Pinn as a threat, as shown by Punch's assault.
                  >
                  > C. Von Pinn is probably from this time period as we have been given
                  > no indication to believe otherwise.

                  http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

                  Confirmation!

                  A. Von Pinn is a construct of Lu's. Specifically she was created to
                  be a nurse for children, and most likely created by Lucrezia for her
                  son Klaus Barry Hetrodyne.

                  B. Punch and Judy do not recognize Von Pinn as a threat because they
                  knew her only as a nurse to Klaus Barry. They have no reason to
                  assume she is a threat to them.

                  C. Von Pinn is from this time period. She was built before Lucrezia
                  took on the guise of the Other.

                  |+|+|+|+|+|

                  I have a new theory for you all, one I don't believe yet, but there's
                  no facts standing in the way:

                  Lucrezia is not the Other. She is instead the first victim of the
                  Other. Her mind was subsumed by the Other via the same process that
                  created LuAgatha. The Other used her skills and abilities to it's own
                  end. The command voice is summoned along with the essence of the
                  Other. The Other chooses to summon itself through women simply
                  because they can reproduce and therefore it can always transfer its
                  essence to the next generation.

                  Once the Other has subsumed someone's body they can use that person's
                  skills, including their brainwave patterns, which is why the Other's
                  creations are so similar to Lucrezia's.

                  To sum up, the Other is not a specific human, but a pan-dimensional being.
                • Rick Russell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                    On 8/20/07, kytross <kytross@...> wrote:
                    > Lucrezia is not the Other. She is instead the first victim of the
                    > Other.

                    Here's another for you.

                    The Lucrezia that takes over Agatha -- and perhaps the one we see in
                    the time window at the beginning of the comic -- is not the Lucrezia
                    that "grew up" in this world at all. She's from an alternate timeline
                    where history took some strange turn, and for some reason she's trying
                    to "get out" of her reality and into this one.

                    The Lucrezia we see in the time window, and the one we see threatening
                    the Geisterdamen, is something other than human. An augmented human,
                    perhaps, or a human grievously injured and fused with mechanical
                    parts, Darth Vader-style.

                    She can't enter this reality directly for some reason, but she's
                    figured out how to project her personality "Quantum Leap"-style into
                    target bodies. She was able to construct a gateway and send her
                    minions through -- or she relied on someone in this reality, like "our
                    Lucrezia", to chance upon the design. Maybe she's trying to get into
                    this reality because "our Lucrezia" is the only other Lucrezia who
                    successfully created a gateway from her father's research.

                    Hmm. That's getting kind of weird.

                    Rick R.
                  • Thomas Sounness
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2009
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@...> wrote:

                      > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "raphfrk" <raphfrk@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "kytross" <kytross@> wrote:
                      > > > C. Dimensional matrix harmonics are Theo's (spontaneous?) theory
                      > > > of the origin of the Other.
                      > >
                      > > Where is that info from ?
                      > >
                      > > Is it from one of his stories ?
                      > >

                      > Yes, from his "Dragon King from Mars" story. While obvious not cannon
                      > so we can't use it as a definitive clue Phil and Kaja told us the
                      > story for a reason. Some things are obviously false, like Klaus being
                      > turned into a revenant, but they still gave us a theory of the events
                      > from the perspective of someone directly effected by them. I left the
                      > spontaneous in parenthesis to acknowledge that he made it up on the
                      > spot and it may not be something that he takes seriously. On the
                      > other hand Klaus has done alot of work with Theo and the idea for
                      > dimensional harmonics has to come from somewhere.
                      >
                      > It is also the first time we are told about dimensional harmonics.
                      > Later, when Klaus and Bang are talking we are introduced to the idea
                      > of time travel.
                      >
                      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030825

                      Sorry to resurrect this old post - but I could not find anyone referring to this page from the "Dragon King of Mars" showing a portal that is drawn in a way *very* similar to that of the portal seen at the start of Volume 1 and on retelling by Bangladesh Dupree.

                      Agatha : http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021111
                      Dupree : http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040126
                      Dragon : http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030825

                      It makes me think (and we all know that it's a bad thing to keep crazy friday thoughts to yourself, even if it's Saturday on the other side of the world ) that:

                      1) Theo said the story is completely made up - but is it? I want to believe! (even if I don't want to believe about the Weasel Queen, I want to believe in the dragon king)
                      2) I see other posts speaking about Barry et. al. arriving back from Mars to find Castle Heterodyne in disarray - so there is some kind of context support the 'story', although there are flaws like ...
                      2a) the story's' 'ruins of castle Heterodyne' do not show a sentient castle Heterodyne
                      2b) Claus has never been a revenant but this shows him as a revanant, and how easy it is to de-revanant a revanant. Is this the case? We have only seen this tactic in this storyline.
                      4) Heh - Portable claw, what a *silly* idea. Foolish. Har Ha Ha ... where *can* I get one?
                      5) Bang's vision of the time portals show a backdrop that is shiny, foreign and interesting, but it's not consistent with any other backdrop I have seen.

                      Not the Geisters in their caverns or underground city, not any spark based technology category we have seen so far, not the Slaver wasps themselves (or this dragon creature from mars although it could be a hive engine slaver in a suit of armour http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040604) or from the shape of the Hive engine itself - there is a hint of slaver wasp discussion with the description of crystalline structures in the Othar Twitter.

                      In looking through the archives - I see some discussion on this exciting idea of merge of the crystal lamp invisibility element and time warp potential.

                      So, that time window backdrop, the transdimentional harmonic portal device in the basement of Castle Hetrodyne, the shape of the Dragon King from Mars and the mute slumped green cybernetic revanant creature makes me think of a crazy prediction or three.

                      * That Monkfish's invention is still in Castle Hetrodyne
                      * That Invisibly Lamp + Monkfish invention = Agatha's trip to Mars with Healing Gil
                      * That on getting to mars, we discovery legacy of time portal device in Mars built by Monkfish/Barry etc., to get back home, and Agatha and Gil trawl through time with said portal device to help that chap next door.

                      I still don't' know who that bloke is in the Bangladesh portal though - I have no idea how that thread gets solved and what it has to do with Mars, or with our irate angry minion Moloch first seen with his brother stealing Agatha's locket.

                      -----

                      I also want to thank the handy 'spoiler proof' cut-out-and-apply template in the post by Del. Supurb. Thankyou! I shall try to use from now on!

                      ----

                      Thomas
                    • Steven Rewa
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 30, 2009
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Sounness" <babylon_tom@...> wrote:
                        > 2) I see other posts speaking about Barry et. al. arriving back from Mars to find Castle Heterodyne in disarray - so there is some kind of context support the 'story', although there are flaws like ...

                        There isn't any support for this within the comic. Any post about it in the group are probably from people who like the idea, but don't really have any support for it either.

                        > 2b) Claus has never been a revenant but this shows him as a revanant, and how easy it is to de-revanant a revanant. Is this the case? We have only seen this tactic in this storyline.

                        So far as anyone knows, it can't be done.

                        > I still don't' know who that bloke is in the Bangladesh portal though - I have no idea how that thread gets solved and what it has to do with Mars, or with our irate angry minion Moloch first seen with his brother stealing Agatha's locket.

                        The bloke you're referring to *is* Moloch. Bang destroyed the gunboat he and his brothers were in and Moloch and Omar escaped to run into Agatha just by chance, seemingly. Moloch is with Agatha in the time window looking for survivors. I don't believe it has anything at all to do with Mars. Don't get me wrong, I think your idea would make a great story. I just don't think it's this story.

                        -Steven Rewa
                      • John Savard
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 30, 2009
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Sounness" <babylon_tom@...> wrote:

                          > 1) Theo said the story is completely made up - but is it? I want to believe!

                          I think that the story will turn out to be close to the truth, despite being made up. So the Other doesn't look like a dragon, and isn't from Mars... but is still something from... elsewhere. And her real form is what we saw way back in Volume 1, causing Agatha to flee in the wrong direction, into an alley, to encounter Moloch and Omar and lose her locket... and begin the story.
                        • Prof. Zarchne (of Zarkhnistan)
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 30, 2009
                            On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 02:02:38AM -0000, Thomas Sounness wrote:
                            > 1) Theo said the story is completely made up - but is it? I want to believe!

                            Well, I think it's fair to assume that DuMedd *thinks* he made it up.
                            But remember that apparently he is the orphaned grandson of Dr. Mongfish.
                            What happened to his mother -- I've already mentioned *my* theory -- or for that matter his father?
                            *When* was he orphaned?
                            How did he come to be under Klaus' protection?
                            The upshot here is that it is quite possible he has early memories of Dr. Mongfish which have subconsciously influenced this story.

                            > 2b) Claus has never been a revenant but this shows him as a revanant,

                            Of course, Klaus now *has* been wasped (at the end of Volume VI), and compelled to obey Lucrezia's command to be silent, at least briefly until Agatha regained control of her body.
                            So it appears that Klaus now is some kind of revenant, which means that this aspect of Theo's story could be considered foreshadowing.
                            One theory to explain why Barry didn't trust Klaus (at least during Agatha's early childhood -- the fact of which there is abundant evidence) is that Barry had available information from the future that Klaus was under the influence of the Other, or, as likely, performed evil actions (at the behest of the Other).

                            > and how easy it is to de-revanant a revanant. Is this the case? We have only seen this tactic in this storyline.

                            No, as Zulenna says, there is no known way to cure a revenant.
                            However, I have a theory (I don't know that anyone else considers it at all likely) that Klaus' brain coring operation on Dr. Dim that left him in his present state was undertaken after he (Dim) was accidentally wasped, and done more or less with his permission to remove and study the wasp.
                            In this theory, Dim's permanent loss of brain tissue was due to an "excident": i.e., Jaeger General Zog found it smelled irresistable, and ate it.
                            Theo (as well as Gil) could also have some awareness of Dim's exact history.

                            > 4) Heh - Portable claw, what a *silly* idea. Foolish. Har Ha Ha ... where *can* I get one?

                            I dunno.
                            I think a galeezel would be even more useful.

                            > * That Monkfish's invention is still in Castle Hetrodyne

                            Sure.

                            > * That Invisibly Lamp + Monkfish invention = Agatha's trip to Mars with Healing Gil

                            "Healing Gil" ... oh, you mean that Gil's actually in bandages rather than dressed as a Geister.
                            Since he calls Agatha "'Mistress'" (with scare quotes, as if he's acting) and another Geister shows up, this seems unlikely.

                            As for their actual destination being Mars... it's certainly possible.
                            Although my thinking is that the story probably all takes place on Earth, just with important events occurring in Africa, Scandinavia, and the British Archipelago (or other places), it's certainly true that in "gaslamp fantasies" (that is, the 19th and early 20th century stories which provide a source of tropes for the "Gaslamp Fantasy" (a term which the Foglios do not seem to claim a trademark on) which is _Girl Genius_) ...
                            It's true that science fiction prior to about 1955 commonly assumes that Mars (imagined as not wholly a desert), and Venus (imagined as supertropical) each host life.
                            So the same could be true here.
                          • Corgi
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
                              [hovers with frustrated blue pencil]

                              Wulfenbach, not Wolfenbach; and dear GHOD, it's LUCREZIA, not LucreNzia!
                            • Cerrberus
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 3, 2009
                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Corgi" <corgi@...> wrote:

                                > [hovers with frustrated blue pencil]
                                >
                                > Wulfenbach, not Wolfenbach; and dear GHOD, it's LUCREZIA, not LucreNzia!

                                At least it's been awhile since we've seen Wulfenback, Lucretia, Vapnoodle, and Strumhalten ["Stop playing that stringed instrument!"].
                                And I confess to personal trouble with Sleipnir.
                                But over in LJ I've seen Ferrentia.

                                Cerrberus
                                [not Cerebus]