Geography

  • Yubi Shines
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2007
      The comic is apparently set in Europe (Europa), and England definitely
      exists, although who knows in what shape or form, but are there any
      hints where the GG story has been taking place, when compared to our
      world's country borders and so on? Judging by the pattern of town
      names and people names and so on?
    • wusemajor
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2007
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Yubi Shines" <yubi_shines@...> wrote:

        > The comic is apparently set in Europe (Europa), and England definitely
        > exists, although who knows in what shape or form, but are there any
        > hints where the GG story has been taking place, when compared to our
        > world's country borders and so on? Judging by the pattern of town
        > names and people names and so on?

        I think the closest is somewhere in the Germanic area. Many of the
        names sound Germanic in origin and Pix's directions to Mechanicsburg
        involve the Danube.

        Or I suppose you could always do it the easy way and pick up the map
        of Europa Wulfenbach from the Cafepress store. I think they should
        still have it for sale there.
      • Damien Sullivan
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
          On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 05:10:45AM -0000, Yubi Shines wrote:
          > The comic is apparently set in Europe (Europa), and England definitely
          > exists, although who knows in what shape or form, but are there any
          > hints where the GG story has been taking place, when compared to our
          > world's country borders and so on? Judging by the pattern of town
          > names and people names and so on?

          Transylvania, Balkans. It *is* Transylvania Polygnostic... the early
          comic issues had a map, with Beetleburg and Mechanicsburg marked on it,
          not far from each other, north of the bit U of the Danube IIRC. Zola
          came from Vienna, pretty quickly.

          "Go west till you hit the Danube, follow it east." Presumably the river
          would keep her from getting lost, and also cut through mountains better
          than going the "shorter" distance overland and through Wilds.

          -xx- Damien X-)
        • sanf_sara
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
            > but are there any
            > hints where the GG story has been taking place, when compared to our
            > world's country borders and so on? Judging by the pattern of town
            > names and people names and so on?

            *cough cough* TRANSYLVANIA Polygnostic University *cough cough*

            I believe the Foglios also mentioned that the language most used by GG characters is
            Romanian. Though in more cosmopolitan settings, such as Castle Wulfenbach, they switch
            to German, as Kaja explained in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/girlgenius/message/
            5927 - and in the same post she points out how German is a common language among
            the educated of much of Eastern Europe, even if it is not their native language. So,
            basically, this is all in Central/Eastern Europe.
          • sanf_sara
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
              One more hint - the Heterodynes are descended from Asian invaders, which, most likely,
              places them in Eastern Europe (unless the GG timeline is DRASITCALLY DRASTICALLY
              different from our own) - the Tartars/Mongols and Turks controlled much of Eastern
              Europe for centuries - including, maybe, Romania (Eastern European History is not my
              specialty).
            • Caranthar
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
                hello new here, but reading since Secret blueprints.

                The map of Europe is in comic #9. There is a short essay on the status
                of America in issue 4 (By Boris Dolokhov) Which gives some information
                regarding the state of England and the Americas.
                Most of England has sunk into the north sea, with London being called
                the Glass City. Mechanicsburg, Beetleburg and Wulfenbach castle
                according to the ,map are int he southern Carpathian mountains.

                The Wulfenbach Empire covers most of the full claims of the HRH (Holy
                Roman empire) but does not include Istanbul or Greece, It does include
                Poland and parts of the Duchy of Lithuania as well as the entire alpine
                region, inlcuding Switzerland and large parts of France (ALsace Loraine
                and Savoie, but not Genoa and Monaco.)

                Maybe if the Professors Foglio don't mind I can scan it and upload it
                to the group?

                There is at least one Genghiz Heterodyne, which would more likely mean
                Mongol than Turk. If in this world Genghiz khan lived longer or his
                sons had a better grasp on the Empire, they might be descended from
                him. This would be from the 13th century onwards. Possibly they are
                descended from Tamurlaine (Timur Lenk, aka Timur the Lame)who
                conquered quite a bit of the world around the fourteen tens. He would
                be another possible ancestor, though an ottoman lineage is possible,
                since the Ottomans regained control of he area after 1420.

                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "sanf_sara" <sanf_sara@...> wrote:

                > One more hint - the Heterodynes are descended from Asian invaders,
                which, most likely,
                > places them in Eastern Europe (unless the GG timeline is DRASITCALLY
                DRASTICALLY
                > different from our own) - the Tartars/Mongols and Turks controlled
                much of Eastern
                > Europe for centuries - including, maybe, Romania (Eastern European
                History is not my
                > specialty).

              • Damien Sullivan
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
                  On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:41:13PM -0000, Caranthar wrote:

                  > the Glass City. Mechanicsburg, Beetleburg and Wulfenbach castle
                  > according to the ,map are int he southern Carpathian mountains.

                  Right.

                  > region, inlcuding Switzerland and large parts of France (ALsace Loraine
                  > and Savoie, but not Genoa and Monaco.)

                  And not Paris.

                  > There is at least one Genghiz Heterodyne, which would more likely mean

                  Genghiz Ht'rok-din, actually. And his son built the first Kestle in 1042.

                  > him. This would be from the 13th century onwards. Possibly they are

                  So either the Ht'rok-din is a Khan-like figure, but 200 years ealier, or
                  the calendar has a different zero point.

                  Huh, just noticed: the Black Squad had black winged towers, not white.
                  Makes sense, but like I said, just noticed.

                  -xx- Damien X-)
                • Sea Change
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
                    Caranthar wrote:

                    > [snip] Maybe if the Professors Foglio don't mind I can scan it and upload it
                    > to the group? [snip]

                    _________________

                    Sea Change replies:

                    Since Airship Entertainment sell the map of Europa in the times of
                    Pax Wulfenbach as a poster, this would be a direct violation
                    of copyright. The Professors provide us with a great deal
                    of wonderful entertainment for FREE, and right now, this is not
                    one of those things.

                    Do not post this to our Group.

                    Yours In Science
                    Sea Change
                    Moderator
                  • Caranthar
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
                      That's why I asked, thanks for the heads up. Now for the question:

                      They still sell it? under what category? I gave mine away because I
                      thought it was still for sale. And then couldn't find it in the shop
                      anymor. :-( Are they going to reprint it? And I sure hope there will
                      be lots of maps in the RPG!

                      Thanks, Joris

                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Sea Change" <nakedkali@...> wrote:

                      > Caranthar wrote:
                      >

                      > > [snip] Maybe if the Professors Foglio don't mind I can scan it
                      and upload it
                      > > to the group? [snip]
                      >
                      > _________________
                      >
                      > Sea Change replies:
                      >
                      > Since Airship Entertainment sell the map of Europa in the times of
                      > Pax Wulfenbach as a poster, this would be a direct violation
                      > of copyright. The Professors provide us with a great deal
                      > of wonderful entertainment for FREE, and right now, this is not
                      > one of those things.
                      >
                      > Do not post this to our Group.
                      >

                      > Yours In Science
                      > Sea Change
                      > Moderator

                    • Alice Bentley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
                        Joris asked:
                        >They still sell it? under what category? I gave mine away because I
                        >thought it was still for sale. And then couldn't find it in the shop
                        >anymor. :-(

                        While there's a link from the main page that would lead you to it,
                        here's the handy direct link to the CafePress listing:

                        http://www.cafepress.com/girlgenius.37587008

                        $19.95 for a 35" by 23" poster printed on 7 mil semigloss paper.

                        Alice
                      • Caranthar
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
                          Thanks! I can use that for my next splurge!

                          Joris

                          > $19.95 for a 35" by 23" poster printed on 7 mil semigloss paper.
                          >
                          > Alice

                        • Rick Russell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
                            Cripes, what happened to Britain and Ireland? They look like they were
                            hit by a bunch of nukes, leaving nothing but a few disconnected
                            islands.

                            It's clearly not a general issue of sea level rise, since the rest of
                            Europe looks fine.

                            RR
                          • Euel Ball
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Russell" <rickrussell@...> wrote:

                              > Cripes, what happened to Britain and Ireland? They look like they were
                              > hit by a bunch of nukes, leaving nothing but a few disconnected
                              > islands.
                              >
                              > It's clearly not a general issue of sea level rise, since the rest of
                              > Europe looks fine.
                              >

                              > RR

                              I don't think that there are nukes in the GG world, (Praise the Holy Couple!) and not even a
                              load of multi megaton yield city busters could do that level of landscaping and urban
                              renewal. (Not without doing massive climate and ecological damage...)

                              My speculation? A ticked off Spark set his Earthquake Generator to "11"...

                              A very good reason for a certain Baron to try to control that sort of thing.

                              Euel
                              (Member in good standing of the KDL.)
                            • Rick Russell
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                                After I asked that question, I happened to be re-reading the section of the
                                comic where Gil threatens to "melt what is left of your miserable island
                                into slag":

                                RR