Re: SKY CAPTAIN....

  • e_hoffman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      I've looked at the trailer several times and I am damn well looking
      forward to it. One reason I looked at it more than once was something
      that caught my eye. The sequence of the robots flying to attack New York
      and the police officers firing their machine guns at them were
      definitely hommages to the Max Fleischer SUPERMAN cartoon MECHANICAL
      MONSTERS. Almost as if somebody had been watching that cartoon and used
      it as a model for some of the scenes. The robots that are in flight are
      almost dead ringers for the animated mechanical destruction machines!

      For me, it will be a wonderful harking back to the old days of the pulp
      heroes and the serials, etc., etc., etc.

      Eric

      >Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:12:44 -0000
      > From: "Laurie E. Smith" <colorist@...>
      >Subject: Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
      >
      >--- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, arondell <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      >

      >>> Got a brief description off of IGN.
      >>>
      >>> Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is set in late-1930s New York
      >>> City and stars Gwyneth Paltrow as Polly Perkins, a crack reporter
      >>> working on a story about numerous world-famous scientists who have
      >>> gone missing. Around this time, strange flying machines threaten
      >>> Manhattan, and gigantic walking robots trample city blocks. To get to
      >>> the bottom of it all, Polly joins forces with her old flame and
      >>> sometime adversary Capt. Joseph Sullivan (Jude Law), known as Sky
      >>> Captain. He commands the Flying Legion, battling bad guys in his
      >>> Warhawk P-40. Sky and Polly fly to a remote part of Nepal (think
      >>> Shangri-La) to track down the crazed mastermind Dr. Totenkopf, who
      >>> wants to destroy the world.
      >>>
      >>> Sounds like it couldbe a lot of fun.
      >>

      >Doesn't it just?
      >
      >I first heard about "Sky Captain" on a comic artists mailing list that my
      >husband subscribes to, where Paul Rivoche remarked, "any movie that
      >features police firing tommy guns at giant robots... you've gotta give it a
      >chance!"
      >
      >The trailer, which (as noted in a previous post) can be found at
      >http://www.skycaptain.com , even features a brief shot of an airship taking a
      >hit during a dogfight sequence (nice little fiery explosion)... and any movie
      >that has zeppelins in it is...
      >
      >... a good movie?
      >
      >Right!
      >
      >Laurie

    • jopf01
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "e_hoffman" <e_hoffman@s...>
        wrote:
        > The sequence of the robots flying to attack New York
        > and the police officers firing their machine guns at
        > them were definitely hommages to the Max Fleischer
        > SUPERMAN cartoon MECHANICAL MONSTERS. Almost as if
        > somebody had been watching that cartoon and used
        > it as a model for some of the scenes. The robots that
        > are in flight are almost dead ringers for the animated
        > mechanical destruction machines!

        They're also startlingly similar to the ones in the 80's
        Anime Lupin III episode "Aloha Lupin" and the movie
        "Castle in the Sky" from Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli -
        which are also a homage to the very same Superman Episode