Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

  • Laurie E. Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2003
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, arondell <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Got a brief description off of IGN.
      >
      > Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is set in late-1930s New York
      > City and stars Gwyneth Paltrow as Polly Perkins, a crack reporter
      > working on a story about numerous world-famous scientists who have
      > gone missing. Around this time, strange flying machines threaten
      > Manhattan, and gigantic walking robots trample city blocks. To get to
      > the bottom of it all, Polly joins forces with her old flame and
      > sometime adversary Capt. Joseph Sullivan (Jude Law), known as Sky
      > Captain. He commands the Flying Legion, battling bad guys in his
      > Warhawk P-40. Sky and Polly fly to a remote part of Nepal (think
      > Shangri-La) to track down the crazed mastermind Dr. Totenkopf, who
      > wants to destroy the world.
      >
      > Sounds like it couldbe a lot of fun.

      Doesn't it just?

      I first heard about "Sky Captain" on a comic artists mailing list that my
      husband subscribes to, where Paul Rivoche remarked, "any movie that
      features police firing tommy guns at giant robots... you've gotta give it a
      chance!"

      The trailer, which (as noted in a previous post) can be found at
      http://www.skycaptain.com , even features a brief shot of an airship taking a
      hit during a dogfight sequence (nice little fiery explosion)... and any movie
      that has zeppelins in it is...

      ... a good movie?

      Right!

      Laurie
    • William Adderholdt
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2004
        On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 05:31:31AM -0000, arondell wrote:
        > Saw an interesting trailer for this when I went to see Return of the
        > King.
        >
        > It reminded me a lot of the metropolis and the steriotypical pulp
        > science fiction of the 40s. Lots of giant robots and wierd flying
        > machines.

        There is an interesting article on the making of the film on the New
        York Times Web site:

        The New York Times | Mr. Invisible and the Secret Mission to Hollywood
        <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/14/magazine/14CONRAN.html>

        The most interesting quote to me was this:

        The astonishing things you will see in the world of tomorrow include:
        an immense, silvery zeppelin docking at the Empire State Building; an
        elephant that fits in the palm of your hand; a troop of giant robots
        marching down Sixth Avenue and the carpet at Radio City Music Hall.

        Airships? Mimmoth? Clanks? It's uncanny!