Re: "You mess with the Mistress . . ."

  • burning_ut
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
      Todays page reminded me of a line from another Foglio work: Buck
      Godot, Zap Gun for Hire - The Galimaufry. In that, near the climax,
      is the remark:

      "Surrender is still your slightly less painful option."

      Somebody might need to say that here. To the Wulfenbach troops.

      Assuming of course it's true.
    • athenachrome
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
        > Unless, of course.... the effect isn't as strong each and every time..
        > then instead of zombies rambling about perfection, you have addicts in
        > need of another fix of perfection. Course.. I think this really only
        > happens to dedicated coffee enthusiasts like Vanamonde.
        >
        > ... the lesson here is, only give Nirvana Coffee to coffee enthusiasts
        > you don't like.

        The ex-Jäger was pretty strongly effected for a non-coffee-enthusiast. I mean, to be
        distracted from full-tilt Rabid Hatred Mode requires 'verra gud coffee' indeed.
        But still, I can't see Nirvana Coffee as being especially sinister. A novelty and occasional
        nuisance, yes, but I don't think we'll be seeing desperate addicts when it's much more
        entertaining to have someone comically rambling like Vanamonde.

        Besides, he never left the coffeeshop much in the first place, right? Not much of a change,
        then. XD

        -Dibby
      • Doug
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "athenachrome" <athenachrome@...>
          wrote:
          > But still, I can't see Nirvana Coffee as being especially sinister.
          A novelty and occasional
          > nuisance, yes, but I don't think we'll be seeing desperate addicts
          when it's much more
          > entertaining to have someone comically rambling like Vanamonde.
          >
          > Besides, he never left the coffeeshop much in the first place,
          right? Not much of a change,
          > then. XD
          >
          > -Dibby

          Yes, but how would this affect his information-gathering abilities?

          "What, a rampaging swarm of mimmoths? Perfect!"
        • Christina Biles
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
            >>>And Herr Heliotrope also looks completely sold, now... willing to
            take her to the castle, and everything...

            He's always willing to take "Heterodyne Heirs" to the Castle,
            especially if he _doesn't_ believe in them.

            "Usually, when some joker comes through town claiming to be the long
            lost Heterodyne heir, I try to keep him quiet, and get him into the
            castle as soon as possible. That takes care of things neatly."

            http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20070604

            Previously, he thought she might be useful, but now she'll either be
            the real thing, or she won't, but either way innocent bystanders won't
            get taken out by her enemies.

            I do love today's catchphrase. "You mess with the Mistress - You mess
            with Mechanicsburg!"

            -Maggie
            Every girl needs an army of rampaging loyal minions.
          • noan42003
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
              > Todays page reminded me of a line from another Foglio work: Buck
              > Godot, Zap Gun for Hire - The Galimaufry. In that, near the
              climax,
              > is the remark:
              >
              > "Surrender is still your slightly less painful option."

              I liked the upcoming quote from PSmith:
              "Yeah, we've heard THAT one before!" spoken by a crowded street of
              New Hong Kong citizens while they proceeded to break out thier
              weapons.

              Personally, I think the crowd didn't respond for much the same reason
              Krosp and Zeetha didn't: No time. Agatha and crew weren't expecting
              Big Jager Blue to go from bad-cop to bloodthirsty maniac that
              quickly. Remember, the crowd only just saw Agatha build an
              impressive coffee engine and Heterodyned. Some of the older crowd
              might have seen Bill and Barry at work, but they're still getting
              used to the idea that this strange girl might actually be thier new
              Mistress. We'll see thier loyalty increase as time moves on, I'm
              sure.

              Only the authors know what kind of reaction will happen once der
              Kestle recognizes her. I'm thinking everything from weeping tears of
              joy to rioting against the Wulfenbach troops for openers.
            • brellchild
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 3, 2007
                > Only the authors know what kind of reaction will happen once der
                > Kestle recognizes her. I'm thinking everything from weeping
                > tears of
                > joy to rioting against the Wulfenbach troops for openers.

                I see endless rounds of comedic mayhem as they try
                to figure out *which* blonde woman has been
                proclaimed the heir.

                Of course for this to happen at it's best (or worst
                depending on your point of view) 'Barbie' would have
                to live long enough to exit the Castle about the
                same time Agatha does.
              • burning_ut
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 3, 2007
                  The more I think about Wednesday's page, the more I want a "Don't Mess
                  with Mechanicsburg" bumper sticker.

                  (For readers outside the U.S., for a while (and maybe still) the state
                  of Texas had an anti-litter campaign that featured the slogan "Don't
                  Mess with Texas.")
                • Sten Drescher
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 3, 2007
                    On 7/3/07, burning_ut <mac.almy@...> wrote:

                    > (For readers outside the U.S., for a while (and maybe still) the state
                    > of Texas had an anti-litter campaign that featured the slogan "Don't
                    > Mess with Texas.")

                    Still. http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/

                    Regards, Sten

                    --
                    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
                    http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=3218

                  • Creg Bradley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 3, 2007
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "noan42003" <noan42003@...> wrote:
                      <snip in time saves lines>

                      > Only the authors know what kind of reaction will happen once der
                      > Kestle recognizes her. I'm thinking everything from weeping tears of
                      > joy to rioting against the Wulfenbach troops for openers.

                      I expect there to be Jaegers... LOTS of Jaegers. As many of the "wild"
                      Jaegers as Jenka could round up. I don't think any of the generals
                      will show, but it's not outside the realm of the possible. And the
                      Jaegers will just in time to repulse the invasion army of Oblemach and
                      Strinbeck.

                      Creg
                    • athenachrome
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 3, 2007
                        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "brellchild" <jasonft@...> wrote:

                        > > Only the authors know what kind of reaction will happen once der
                        > > Kestle recognizes her. I'm thinking everything from weeping
                        > > tears of
                        > > joy to rioting against the Wulfenbach troops for openers.
                        > >
                        > I see endless rounds of comedic mayhem as they try
                        > to figure out *which* blonde woman has been
                        > proclaimed the heir.
                        >
                        > Of course for this to happen at it's best (or worst
                        > depending on your point of view) 'Barbie' would have
                        > to live long enough to exit the Castle about the
                        > same time Agatha does.

                        I'm expecting one of two scenarios, myself:
                        - Senile castle sounds Doom Bell for Agatha, conveniently forgetting Barbie's still lost in
                        the front courtyard
                        or
                        - Senile castle overjoyed at prospect of Heterodyne heir, refuses to let Agatha ever leave.

                        I'm just generally amused at the idea of a senile castle. In case you couldn't tell.

                        -Dibby
                      • rja_carnegie
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 3, 2007
                          wrote:
                          > I'm just generally amused at the idea of a
                          > senile castle. In case you couldn't tell.

                          Rooms that don't know what you went there for? ;-)
                        • Bran
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Sten Drescher" <yahoogroups@...>
                            wrote:

                            > On 7/3/07, burning_ut <mac.almy@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > (For readers outside the U.S., for a while (and maybe still)
                            the state
                            > > of Texas had an anti-litter campaign that featured the
                            slogan "Don't
                            > > Mess with Texas.")
                            > >

                            > Still. http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/
                            >
                            > Regards, Sten

                            This one was always my favorite:

                            http://easylink.playstream.com/dontmesswithtexas/airfo112.rm?
                            player=real

                            Cheers,

                            Bran

                            > --
                            > 09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
                            > http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=3218

                          • mrs_olivaw
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
                              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Bran" <catshavengrove@...> wrote:

                              > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Sten Drescher" <yahoogroups@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > On 7/3/07, burning_ut <mac.almy@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > (For readers outside the U.S., for a while (and maybe still)
                              > the state
                              > > > of Texas had an anti-litter campaign that featured the
                              > slogan "Don't
                              > > > Mess with Texas.")
                              > > >

                              > > Still. http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/
                              > >
                              > > Regards, Sten
                              >
                              > This one was always my favorite:
                              >
                              > http://easylink.playstream.com/dontmesswithtexas/airfo112.rm?
                              > player=real
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Bran
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > 09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
                              > > http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=3218

                              lol....I'm from Texas. Here's an inane factoid:

                              Did you know they include an entire page with some guy saying "Don't
                              mess with Texas!" in the online defensive driving course I had to take
                              recently (to get off my ticket...darn those little cities with their
                              snippy cops who give humongous speeding tickets!)

                              But yeah, it's definitely a well known slogan here. :)

                              Now I'm embarrassed...I'm not some crazy speeder, I swear! It's the
                              second ticket I've ever gotten, and I've been driving for years!

                              *cough*
                            • Cerrberus
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "mrs_olivaw" <mrs_olivaw@...> wrote:
                                ~~Xnp~~...I'm not some crazy speeder, I swear! It's the
                                > second ticket I've ever gotten, and I've been driving for years!
                                >
                                > *cough*

                                Hyu shvear?...hyu alzo not eat bogz?

                                Cerrberus
                              • McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                                  ~~Xnp~~...I'm not some crazy speeder, I swear! It's the
                                  > second ticket I've ever gotten, and I've been driving for years!
                                  >
                                  > *cough*

                                  Hyu shvear?...hyu alzo not eat bogz?

                                  Cerrberus
                                  ----------------------

                                  Ov courze she doesn't! Za vindshield keeps zose out, hyu eediot! Unless
                                  hyu vants a schnack, zen hyu ken lean out za side . . .

                                  Kate McClure
                                  Mmmmm . . . Bogs!
                                • mrs_olivaw
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "McClure, Kate (DEX-BLV)"
                                    <kate.mcclure@...> wrote:

                                    > ~~Xnp~~...I'm not some crazy speeder, I swear! It's the
                                    > > second ticket I've ever gotten, and I've been driving for years!
                                    > >
                                    > > *cough*
                                    > >
                                    > Hyu shvear?...hyu alzo not eat bogz?
                                    >
                                    > Cerrberus
                                    >
                                    > Ov courze she doesn't! Za vindshield keeps zose out, hyu eediot! Unless
                                    > hyu vants a schnack, zen hyu ken lean out za side . . .
                                    >
                                    > Kate McClure
                                    > Mmmmm . . . Bogs!

                                    Took the words out of my mouth.

                                    *crunch, crunch*