Re: [Girl Genius] How Does Theo Fit Into All This?

  • Steve Lammert
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>
      wrote:

      > Dale Friesen <dale@> wrote:
      > > Lots of people wear it. It gives them hope.
      > Is there a real-world equivalent to that kind
      > of appropriation of a symbol that started out
      > with a narrower significance?

      The most obvious example to me is the Christian cross: a Roman
      execution device that became a symbol of hope for countless millions.
    • Damien Sullivan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:38:54PM -0000, Steve Lammert wrote:

        > The most obvious example to me is the Christian cross: a Roman
        > execution device that became a symbol of hope for countless millions.

        "If Jesus were executed today, Christians would go around wearing little
        electric chairs."

        -xx- Damien X-)
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Damien Sullivan <phoenix@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:38:54PM -0000, Steve Lammert wrote:
          >
          > > The most obvious example to me is the Christian cross: a Roman
          > > execution device that became a symbol of hope for countless
          millions.

          > "If Jesus were executed today, Christians would go around wearing
          little
          > electric chairs."
          >
          > -xx- Damien X-)

          Also the peace symbol, which started out as a specific symbol for
          nuclear disarmament and came to represent a far broader movement.