The Law of Economy of Characters

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007
      Ebert's Law of Economy of Characters states, in short: "all
      characters... are necessary to the story -- even those who do not seem
      to be." (see http://snipurl.com/1ivy8)

      For example, Balthazar barely shows up in the strip. He served two
      important roles, however: connecting Agatha to the circus and
      providing Krosp with his signature coat (Balthazar had outgrown it).

      So what's Malibu Heterodyne's role, especially if she's destined to be
      Kestle fodder?

      1) Demonstrate what happens to false heirs.
      2) Eliminate the Black Squad, clearing the path for Agatha.
      3) Make the Mechanicsburg population believe that the much-rumored
      female heir was another phony. This means Agatha can work in peace,
      without throngs of adoring fans.
      4) This one's a "maybe" -- Get Gill off her back (and make him suffer,
      which is always good for the drama level) by having him believe
      (again) that Agatha is dead.

      That's my current theory, anyway. The coming week will undoubtedly
      prove me wrong in some way, which is part of the fun. :-)

      -- Adam
    • David
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Adam" <adam@...> wrote:

        > Ebert's Law of Economy of Characters states, in short: "all
        > characters... are necessary to the story -- even those who do not seem
        > to be." (see http://snipurl.com/1ivy8)
        >
        > For example, Balthazar barely shows up in the strip. He served two
        > important roles, however: connecting Agatha to the circus and
        > providing Krosp with his signature coat (Balthazar had outgrown it).
        >
        > So what's Malibu Heterodyne's role, especially if she's destined to be
        > Kestle fodder?
        >
        > 1) Demonstrate what happens to false heirs.
        > 2) Eliminate the Black Squad, clearing the path for Agatha.
        > 3) Make the Mechanicsburg population believe that the much-rumored
        > female heir was another phony. This means Agatha can work in peace,
        > without throngs of adoring fans.
        > 4) This one's a "maybe" -- Get Gill off her back (and make him suffer,
        > which is always good for the drama level) by having him believe
        > (again) that Agatha is dead.
        >
        > That's my current theory, anyway. The coming week will undoubtedly
        > prove me wrong in some way, which is part of the fun. :-)
        >
        > -- Adam

        There is, of course, at least one other possibility- that Malibu
        Heterodyne is a new player on the scene, or an 'old' player whose
        existence has been hinted at/implied, but hasn't shown up yet for
        whatever reason. Der Kestle may turn her into pate, but she may
        simply be the tip of an iceberg as part of a larger plot.

        Consider- she apparently either is a spark herself (and a reasonably
        potent one, to be able to so casually counteract either a
        Klaus-constructed or Heterodyne-constructed device), or else she has a
        powerfully sparky backer.

        One suggestion that I don't think anyone's thrown into the arena
        yet... I wonder if this is Gil's mom? Granted, she doesn't really
        look old enough, although it's difficult to say for sure. She does
        have a reason for popping up now- with the Baron down, Gil could be
        (and very likely is) in quite serious danger- if it's been some years
        since she's seen her boy, she may not know how able he is to deal with
        all this, and thus- well, maternal instinct in overdrive, and what
        better way to handle a situation this messy than by setting yourself
        up as a returned hero of the populace, squashing the rebellions before
        the start?

        Ah well- it's certainly going to be interesting to see how this turns out.
      • Mary Lowe-Hentges
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2007
          [4) This one's a "maybe" -- Get Gill off her back (and make him suffer, which is always good for the drama level) by having him believe (again) that Agatha is dead.]

          "My dear Lady Heterodyne, if you wished to receive flowers, you had but to ask - this many funerals, people are beginning to wonder."

          Annechen Loewenstein
          non scripta non est