Re: [Girl Genius] Speaking of Nikola...

  • Michael Brazier
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
      jsheikg wrote:
      > and I believe someone on this list mentioned that Valois could have
      > been an alternative line to the French throne that would have resulted
      > in the Storm King rather than Louis XIV the Sun King.

      The kings of France were Valois between 1328 and 1589, when Henry IV,
      the first Bourbon king of France, was crowned. In GG Europa, Andronicus
      Valois seems meant to be one of _those_ Valois, so presumably there was
      an extra French prince born in the 16th century, cutting out the Bourbons.

      Incidentally, if the Salic Law still applies, Tarvek can't claim the
      title of "Storm King" -- his descent from the Valois is on his mother's
      side. Tinka and Moxana accepted him as a Storm King, so they aren't
      paying attention to the Salic Law, but the French nobility wouldn't do
      likewise ... assuming there's anyone left who cares about the laws of
      France, of course.

      Michael Brazier
    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
        "The Amazing Pratchett."
        http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20070112

        In - golly - 2001, I posted to Usenet about a
        gently-cryptic crossword clue.
        "Noted for being whimsical perhaps" (9 letters)
        I had the letters -R-T-H-T- ...

        Hmm. Let's try a couple closer to topic.
        If I can remember how to do it. (Sort of.)

        ...and if we haven't done this before, better.

        "It's alive! says the noble Roman Catholic
        saint, but he's confused." (9)

        "He's less than he seems - army doctor seeks
        famous home of aquatic monster." (6)

        "More than half foolish infantryman has a spark
        of inspiration." (6)

        "A fishmonger would do this" (4, 4)
      • rja_carnegie
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
          "Cerrberus" <res1a8o8@...> wrote:
          > [Microwave power from solar space stations]
          > Any word on the power loss of the beam thru atmosphere?

          I presume that microwaves were chosen that would
          work well in this context, notwithstanding clouds.
          This hasn't come up lately, probably because
          there are better alternatives, putting stuff into
          space is still dreadfully expensive, and death ray
          projectors in space are not Altogether A Good Idea.
          (Someone please tell that to a hundred manga authors.)

          > Or routing
          > airflights and bird flocks around the beams?

          Duh. Well, you build the receiver stations
          across the route that migrating turkeys take
          in late November.
        • Dana Carson
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
            "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>wrote:
            > death ray projectors in space are not Altogether A Good Idea.

            Power levels for solar power sats are about the same as sunlight. The
            difference is that it comes in 24/7 and has a high efficiency
            conversion rate with cheap equipment. If you aim it at a city you can
            threaten them with double the number of heatstroke cases and an
            increase in cataracts if they don't do anything for a couple of decades.