Re: [Girl Genius] Speaking of Nikola...

  • bassclef_solo
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31, 2007
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@...> wrote:

      > Well...there is Giovanni Mirandola;

      Also Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin:
      http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20070119
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brillat-Savarin
    • Michael Brazier
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
        jsheikg wrote:
        > and I believe someone on this list mentioned that Valois could have
        > been an alternative line to the French throne that would have resulted
        > in the Storm King rather than Louis XIV the Sun King.

        The kings of France were Valois between 1328 and 1589, when Henry IV,
        the first Bourbon king of France, was crowned. In GG Europa, Andronicus
        Valois seems meant to be one of _those_ Valois, so presumably there was
        an extra French prince born in the 16th century, cutting out the Bourbons.

        Incidentally, if the Salic Law still applies, Tarvek can't claim the
        title of "Storm King" -- his descent from the Valois is on his mother's
        side. Tinka and Moxana accepted him as a Storm King, so they aren't
        paying attention to the Salic Law, but the French nobility wouldn't do
        likewise ... assuming there's anyone left who cares about the laws of
        France, of course.

        Michael Brazier
      • rja_carnegie
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
          "The Amazing Pratchett."
          http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20070112

          In - golly - 2001, I posted to Usenet about a
          gently-cryptic crossword clue.
          "Noted for being whimsical perhaps" (9 letters)
          I had the letters -R-T-H-T- ...

          Hmm. Let's try a couple closer to topic.
          If I can remember how to do it. (Sort of.)

          ...and if we haven't done this before, better.

          "It's alive! says the noble Roman Catholic
          saint, but he's confused." (9)

          "He's less than he seems - army doctor seeks
          famous home of aquatic monster." (6)

          "More than half foolish infantryman has a spark
          of inspiration." (6)

          "A fishmonger would do this" (4, 4)
        • rja_carnegie
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
            "Cerrberus" <res1a8o8@...> wrote:
            > [Microwave power from solar space stations]
            > Any word on the power loss of the beam thru atmosphere?

            I presume that microwaves were chosen that would
            work well in this context, notwithstanding clouds.
            This hasn't come up lately, probably because
            there are better alternatives, putting stuff into
            space is still dreadfully expensive, and death ray
            projectors in space are not Altogether A Good Idea.
            (Someone please tell that to a hundred manga authors.)

            > Or routing
            > airflights and bird flocks around the beams?

            Duh. Well, you build the receiver stations
            across the route that migrating turkeys take
            in late November.
          • Dana Carson
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2007
              "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>wrote:
              > death ray projectors in space are not Altogether A Good Idea.

              Power levels for solar power sats are about the same as sunlight. The
              difference is that it comes in 24/7 and has a high efficiency
              conversion rate with cheap equipment. If you aim it at a city you can
              threaten them with double the number of heatstroke cases and an
              increase in cataracts if they don't do anything for a couple of decades.