Re: [Girl Genius] Heliotrope (was RE: Argh...another name I probably saw somewhere and can't remembe)

  • David Goldfarb
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
      >Heliotropism is a flower that follows the sun:
      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliotropism

      I believe that "heliotropism" is the *process* of *following*
      the sun, while the flower itself is named "heliotrope". The
      word can also be a color name taken from the flower, I think
      a sort of light purple. So for instance, the phrase "heliotrope
      gamahaean union" (which turns up in Neil Gaiman's _Books of Magic_
      miniseries) refers to a gamahaean union that is heliotrope in color.

      --
      David Goldfarb |"If I haven't killed you yet, I'll take care of
      goldfarb@... | it right away."
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2007
        >Heliotropism is a flower that follows the sun:
        >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliotropism

        I believe that "heliotropism" is the *process* of *following* the sun,
        while the flower itself is named "heliotrope".

        Geh, yes, that's what I *meant* to type. Fingers got away from me again.
        Must have been that last shot of bru . . .

        Kate McClure
        Brain Spasms 'r' Us