Re: [Girl Genius] Internet?

  • Jefferson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2007
      Margaret wrote:
      >>For a place that doesn't seem to have radios, televisions or, to the
      >>best of my recollection, telephones, news sure does seem to travel
      >>fast. What am I missing?

      The fact that the Wulfenbach soldiers were sent to this specific
      town to recover? There are undoubtedly people who haven't heard
      the news yet, traveling as it is at the speed of gossip, but
      soldiers are going to talk . . .

      --
      Jefferson
      http://www.meanspc.com/~jeff_wilson63/fiction/
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
        quisquared wrote:
        > It only takes one courier or trader with a fast (or
        > steam-spring-assisted) horse to start a whole flock of rumors, after
        > all... these could easily all be garbled versions of just one or two
        > reports, I suspect.

        Could be. But Agatha and her friends were in a Wulfenbach airship at
        the end of Volume 6, and Sturmhalten wasn't pacified yet. They ought to
        have outrun the report of Agatha's disclosure. If we're seeing
        Mechanicsburg, either Agatha went somewhere else, or she's already there
        and in hiding ...

        Michael Brazier
      • Euel Ball
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Margaret <mamarose127@...> wrote:

          > > For a place that doesn't seem to have radios, televisions or, to the
          > > best of my recollection, telephones, news sure does seem to travel
          > > fast. What am I missing?
          >
          > Gossip. When all you have to do is talk, gossip spreads faster than
          > the speed of light.

          To quote Mark Twain, "Dame Rumor travels around the world while the
          Truth is putting on her boots." That was then, now Rumor circles the
          Earth seven times (with a stop for an espresso) as Truth reaches fot
          the snooze button on her alarm clock.

          Euel
        • teratologicalmarty
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
            Given the tech level we've seen, telegraphs are perfectly possible, as
            are giant semaphores not unlike those seen in Discworld and/or
            genetically-modified supercarrier pigeons. Also, airships can make
            quite good time, and they've clearly dropped off some gossipy soldiers.
          • jsheikg
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2007
              > Given the tech level we've seen, telegraphs are perfectly possible,
              <snip>

              In fact the telegraph is so simple it would be hard *not* to invent.
              It would qualify, like the steam tractors, as non-Spark technology.
              It is also quite robust.

              So we actually need a reason for the telegraph *not* to exist.

              Given the minmoths as an example, there may be some artificial life
              form with an appetite for wire that has "naturalized" and makes wire
              communications next to impossible. Such a creation could easily have
              been produced during the Spark vs Spark Long War to deal with Sparks
              that relied on such communications.

              Heck, it might *be* the minmoths. Those tusks could be effective wire
              cutters. More likely though, it's something that can burrow or fly
              (or both).
            • chembiogrrl
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@...> wrote:

                > > Given the tech level we've seen, telegraphs are perfectly possible,
                > <snip>
                >
                > In fact the telegraph is so simple it would be hard *not* to invent.
                > It would qualify, like the steam tractors, as non-Spark technology.
                > It is also quite robust.
                >
                > So we actually need a reason for the telegraph *not* to exist.

                Funny you should mention that, given today's 101 page:

                http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20070302

                Putting up telegraph wires through the Wastelands just isn't feasible.
                My impression is that most of Europa is Wasteland, dotted with
                villages, towns, and cities. If some Spark was sufficiently determined
                to defend a telegraph installation crew, some monster would probably
                blunder along and knock down a pole or break the wire. Sure, my county
                loses its fiber-optic line to the outside world for a day or two every
                month or so, but our repairmen have a much safer job. Bears, mountain
                lions, and sasquatches aren't nearly as deadly as the Monster Horse or
                the crab-clank that fried Olga.

                --Kathryn
              • Brendan
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
                  --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "chembiogrrl" <khedges1@...> wrote:

                  > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Given the tech level we've seen, telegraphs are perfectly possible,
                  > > <snip>
                  > >
                  > > In fact the telegraph is so simple it would be hard *not* to invent.
                  > > It would qualify, like the steam tractors, as non-Spark technology.
                  > > It is also quite robust.
                  > >
                  > > So we actually need a reason for the telegraph *not* to exist.
                  > >
                  > Funny you should mention that, given today's 101 page:
                  >
                  > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/gg101.cgi?date=20070302
                  >
                  > Putting up telegraph wires through the Wastelands just isn't feasible.
                  > My impression is that most of Europa is Wasteland, dotted with
                  > villages, towns, and cities. If some Spark was sufficiently determined
                  > to defend a telegraph installation crew, some monster would probably
                  > blunder along and knock down a pole or break the wire. Sure, my county
                  > loses its fiber-optic line to the outside world for a day or two every
                  > month or so, but our repairmen have a much safer job. Bears, mountain
                  > lions, and sasquatches aren't nearly as deadly as the Monster Horse or
                  > the crab-clank that fried Olga.
                  >
                  > --Kathryn

                  Well, that's a good counter for the electronic telegraph, but if a
                  spark were determine enough, there's always the Mechanical Telegraph
                  to use. Basicly the Mechanical telegraph was built using a series of
                  towers situated in high places and outfitted with a collection of
                  large armitures. Each had lookouts situated watching the next tower
                  in line, and when the armitures were changed, they had their own tower
                  change it's own to match. Properly manned and maintained, they could
                  convey information fairly rapidly across france. Here's
                  a link
                  http://people.deas.harvard.edu/~jones/cscie129/images/history/chappe.html