Re: Where's GG 10! Where's GG 10! Where GG 10! Where's GG 10!

  • chembiogrrl
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, studiofoglio <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > This reminds me-- I wanted to warn you all that issue is a bit of
      > bloody issue.

      Like Gauda Prime in B7?

      chembiogrrl
    • Bill Jackson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Damien Sullivan <phoenix@U...>
        wrote:
        > On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:17:27PM -0000, Bill Jackson wrote:
        >
        > Not really. The speculation was about how much religion is extant
        and
        > relevant "now". Assuming divergence from our history sometime
        between the
        > Renaissance and the Industral Revolution then I think we can assume
        shared
        > history and religion before then, which includes easy access to all
        the old
        > religion references. That they picked such names for themselves I
        think just
        > tells us that they knew of the old legend, not what they might
        believe.

        > -xx- Damien X-)

        Ah, but the legends are still there, still in the public
        conciousness. How many Babylonian folk tales can you remember, off
        the top of your head? If it's one, you've got me beat.
        The line about them being Jewish is a very, very, very old joke, and
        you not realizing that it was a joke makes me feel very, very, very
        old.

        Bill, who's not 50 yet (but I can see it from where I'm standing)
      • Damien Sullivan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
          On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:00:39PM -0000, Bill Jackson wrote:

          > conciousness. How many Babylonian folk tales can you remember, off
          > the top of your head? If it's one, you've got me beat.

          Gilgamesh. Oh, I guess that's Sumerian, even older than Babylonian.

          More "recently" I know Romulus and Remus, and the sacred geese of the
          Capitoline, and the rape which brought down the last Roman king, not to
          mention all the standard Greek myths and legends. The golden shower which
          begat Perseus, and what he did, and where the Gorgons came from in the first
          place. The Golden Fleece, the Trojan War, Theseus and Ariadne, Athena and
          Arachne, etc. etc. Plus some Norse and Irish myths and legends. And I'm not
          that unusual.

          Given that *if* GG religion has faded from most people if would have done so
          probably in the "last few" centuries, I'd expect Biblical motifs to still be
          rather current. All the more so as I expect the common people are still
          pretty religious; it's the Sparks and those in their orbit who might view
          religious promises of an afterlife as quaint and redundant.

          Mind you, "Lilith" is a bit odd to me; I know her legend mostly from
          _Sandman_. On the other hand, she might have been more common currency back
          when people believed more in demons for her to be the mother of.

          > The line about them being Jewish is a very, very, very old joke, and
          > you not realizing that it was a joke makes me feel very, very, very
          > old.

          *shrug* I know they're Jewish names, but joke?

          -xx- Damien X-)
        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
            > Ah, but the legends are still there, still in the public
            > conciousness. How many Babylonian folk tales can you remember, off
            > the top of your head? If it's one, you've got me beat.

            > Bill, who's not 50 yet (but I can see it from where I'm standing)

            Uh, um uh ... Gilgamesh?

            Enlil? Marduck? Tiamat? Ishtar? Tammuz? Astarte? Inanna? Sacred pillars and date palms? Those funky birds that were the proto-griffins? Isis and the tree-coffin? And that's just off the top of my head.

            Folks, religion doesn't die. It evolves and mutates, but it never goes away completely. Whoever named Adam and Lilith was familiar enough with Judaism to know their folk tales. Doubtless the majority of people in this universe have some religious framework within which to frame their spiritual questions about their place in the universe, although what form it takes is still up in the air. I've personally seen the little sub-branch of Protestant Christianity I grew up in mutate from the second most liberal faith in America to the forefront of fundamentalist conservatism. No mutation of religion surprises me anymore.

            Debbie
            lay leader of Slag-Bla - er, the UUA