Evil thought

  • brellchild
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
      How many Dingbots are in the ships overhead, and more
      importantly can they hear the Silverodeon?
    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        "brellchild" <jasonft@...> wrote:
        > How many Dingbots are in the ships overhead, and more
        > importantly, can they hear the Silverodeon?

        Castle Wulfenbach isn't here - but that doesn't mean
        that there aren't workshops for them to breed in...
      • brellchild
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
          > > How many Dingbots are in the ships overhead, and more
          > > importantly, can they hear the Silverodeon?
          >
          > Castle Wulfenbach isn't here - but that doesn't mean
          > that there aren't workshops for them to breed in...

          Sparky workshops, maybe not.

          But which would be better stocked with things to build
          Dingbots out of - the Circus or a blimp from Klaus'
          attack fleet?

          Mind you, The Circus had Agatha to help build more. But
          with all the loose equipment on one of those blimps the
          little guys should do just fine.
        • sanf_sara
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
            > Mind you, The Circus had Agatha to help build more. But
            > with all the loose equipment on one of those blimps the
            > little guys should do just fine.

            If the little clanks get too hungry for new metal, they might ruin the blimps' flight-
            worthiness. Which would strand the Wulfenbach troops.
          • brellchild
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
              > If the little clanks get too hungry for new metal, they might ruin
              > the blimps' flight-
              > worthiness. Which would strand the Wulfenbach troops.

              Dingbots aren't stupid once they reach critical
              mass.

              They also have Gil to tell them what *not* to eat.
              The same Gil that knows darn well the value of a
              hidden network of surveilance drones that would
              rather explode than be taken prisoner.
            • rja_carnegie
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
                "brellchild" <jasonft@...> wrote:
                > Gil knows darn well the value of a hidden network
                > of surveilance drones that would rather explode
                > than be taken prisoner.

                Huh - I'd say so for Krosp, but not for
                Gilgamesh "what death ray?" Wulfenbach. ;-)

                On the other hand, I like the idea that
                Sparks with an interest in politics, even
                the nice ones, are scheming geniuses with
                personal networks of spies and agents,
                maybe overlapping - like Wooster working
                for Britain /and/ for Gil. Like Roger
                Zelazny's "Amber" series - even the ditzy
                women have double agents working for them.

                But at the same time, I like the idea that
                Gil's spy network isn't people, but the
                dingbots that basically fell in his lap -
                well, he was there playing lab assistant,
                at least that's what he /says/ he was doing
                for hours while Agatha was running around
                the workroom in her kajas! I could think of...
                well, anyway.

                For Gil's spies to give an opinion of Wooster's
                professional qualifications, though, implies
                that Gil has bribed other British agents for
                information. Maybe Klaus made Gil a present
                of a human spy network of his very own (and of
                course you'd trust them absolutely, wouldn't you?),
                maybe Klaus's own spies brought him a report on
                Wooster on the Castle and then the dingbots
                brought that to Gil as well - but on the whole,
                I like best the idea that a proportion of the
                Castle staff have at least fiduciary loyalty
                to Gil instead of Klaus.

                And there's Zoing as well, of course.
              • brellchild
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
                  > > Gil knows darn well the value of a hidden network
                  > > of surveilance drones that would rather explode
                  > > than be taken prisoner.
                  >
                  > Huh - I'd say so for Krosp, but not for
                  > Gilgamesh "what death ray?" Wulfenbach. ;-)

                  folk present Gilgamesh with the fake corpse of Agatha.
                  Ask yourself just how far *that* Gil would go if
                  something got in his way.

                  Klaus knows Gil is underestimated by almost everyone.
                  Knowing Klaus, this is a design feature.

                  Think about it - Klaus knows that someday Gil has to
                  take over. When that happens, every major player in
                  Europa is going to decide if and when to openly rebel
                  against Wulfenbach rule. If those who are prepared to
                  tear apart Pax Europa can be tricked into doing so
                  openly, then all the better... as long as Gil really
                  *is* as formidable as Klaus seems to think.
                • M. Alan Thomas II
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
                    "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe Klaus made Gil a present of a human spy network of his very own

                    In Eddings' Belgariad, someone (the Queen of Drasnia, maybe?) refers to
                    having gotten their very first spy as a present. Of course, spying is
                    Drasnia's national industry. . . .

                    --M. Alan Thomas II
                  • rja_carnegie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                      "M. Alan Thomas II" <CrazyDreamer@...> wrote:
                      > Of course, spying is Drasnia's national industry. . . .

                      In Amber, the national sport.

                      In Klaus's Europe, the rulers' second favourite game,
                      but he won't let them play their favourite any more.