Time (or Re: The Anti-Other Project)

  • gizmo_tinkerer
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
      Plot speculation:

      <mutilated quote> "Time is what keeps all the sh...<er> stuff from
      happening at once. Space is what keeps it all from happening to you."

      I like your point about Rovainen making assumptions about Agatha.

      We have seen time windows. The Other could be a future Spark
      determined to snuff out all other Sparks by attacking their
      ancestors. The Other's constructs and revenants would have to avoid
      killing the ancestors of the Other. Or the Other could live in a
      dying world and be attempting to save it. In which case Baron
      Wulfenbach may be a construct working for the Other. The old "Common
      Enemy Scare Tactics" approach, where you scare the populace and then
      offer them protection from the threat. In the Cold War the "Commy
      Terror", in _Watchmen_ the "Other Dimensional Monster Invasion", and
      in _Girl Genius_ the Other.

      -Gizmo

      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Debbie <lioness@m...> wrote:
      > Because he felt compelled to obey
      > her, Rovainen assumes she must be the Other BUT all it means is
      that
      > he feels compelled to obey her. At this point we can conjecture
      that the
      > revenants are constructs created by either a Heterodyne or a
      Mongfish, but
      > not which Heterodyne or Mongfish.
      > The fact that the Other obeys none of the traditional rules is a
      big clue
      > it's a spoiler construct meant to take effect when it's creator was
      no
      > longer there to care what happens next.
      > Debbie
    • Anders Hallin
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "M. Alan Thomas II"
        <CrazyDreamer@c...> wrote:
        > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like an
        > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand? (And
        > for a spark, growing a new hand shouldn't be too much trouble.) Dr.
        > Beetle clearly had some idea who Agatha was, and Judy listed him as
        > a potential but unfortunately weak guardian for Agatha.

        Actually, I had assumed this to be the case, but of course with some
        holes, like why the heck he's called Beetle (Mongfish too known a
        name?). Though that probably isn't the case.

        Two other things.
        What's up with "Iland of Gold", really?

        What's in the blueprints?

        Anders Hallin
      • Adam Canning
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
          On 1 Sep 2003 at 10:20, Anders Hallin wrote:

          > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "M. Alan Thomas II"
          > <CrazyDreamer@c...> wrote:
          > > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like an
          > > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand? (And
          > > for a spark, growing a new hand shouldn't be too much trouble.) Dr.
          > > Beetle clearly had some idea who Agatha was, and Judy listed him as
          > > a potential but unfortunately weak guardian for Agatha.
          >
          > Actually, I had assumed this to be the case, but of course with some
          > holes, like why the heck he's called Beetle (Mongfish too known a
          > name?). Though that probably isn't the case.

          And Doctor Beetle having been around long enough to have been one of Klaus's
          tutors.

          --
          Adam
        • Adam Canning
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
            On 31 Aug 2003 at 23:18, M. Alan Thomas II wrote:

            > Might Mr. Rovainen, a revenant, be acting less like a shambling
            > horde of one and more like a normal person who happens to be
            > brainwashed into supporting the Other because the Other, being
            > temporarily banished, can no longer control him? (This would make
            > him like the Jagermonsters, fanatically loyal but otherwise himself.)

            Is Mr Rovainen actually the revenant form of Barry Hetrodyne, or is
            the similarity in build etc a bluff by the authors?

            --
            Adam
          • Tim O'Brien
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
              --- Anders Hallin <grappo555@...> wrote:
              > Two other things.
              > What's up with "Iland of Gold", really?

              There are no monsters there! Nope, no monsters. It's a
              loverly, safe place to visit.

              > What's in the blueprints?

              All the Big Secrets!

              =====
              _____
              TSOB
              Timothy Squire O'Brien

              A=x+y+z -- Albert Einstein

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • studiofoglio
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
                > Why does one lackya have green eyes? (He seems to be in
                charge, or
                > at least important.)

                They all have green eyes. That was a coloring mistake which
                will be fixed in future editions.

                > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like
                an
                > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand?

                Ah, the perils of black and white comics. Dr. Beetle is a
                dark-skinned gentleman, Dr. Mongfish is light-skinned.

                --Kaja
              • Dava
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
                  > > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like
                  > an
                  > > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand?
                  >
                  > Ah, the perils of black and white comics. Dr. Beetle is a
                  > dark-skinned gentleman, Dr. Mongfish is light-skinned.
                  >
                  > --Kaja

                  Aww, drat! That totally blows the theory I posted way back when I
                  first joined. Now I'll have to deconstruct my whole understanding of
                  the GG universe. :P Honestly, I was fairly convinced that Beetle
                  was Agatha's grandpa.

                  But isn't DuMedd dark skinned, and related to the Mongfishes? Or
                  should I not poke and prod too far with my rusty instruments?

                  Dava
                • sirruthvenmurgatroyd
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dava" <dizzydava@a...> wrote:
                    > > > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like
                    > > an
                    > > > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand?
                    > >
                    > > Ah, the perils of black and white comics. Dr. Beetle is a
                    > > dark-skinned gentleman, Dr. Mongfish is light-skinned.
                    > >
                    > > --Kaja
                    >
                    > Aww, drat! That totally blows the theory I posted way back when I
                    > first joined. Now I'll have to deconstruct my whole understanding
                    of
                    > the GG universe. :P Honestly, I was fairly convinced that Beetle
                    > was Agatha's grandpa.
                    >
                    > But isn't DuMedd dark skinned, and related to the Mongfishes? Or
                    > should I not poke and prod too far with my rusty instruments?
                    >
                    > Dava

                    I haven't noticed anything in the published GG materials which would
                    prevent Dr. Beetle and Dr. Mongfish from having at least one common
                    ancestor to account for the physical resemblance. Given the
                    established tendency of Sparks to behave like aristocrats and marry
                    people from other "Sparky" families, and the fact that Lucrezia was a
                    former student of Beetle's (indicating that Beetle and Mongfish were,
                    at least, not-enemies), a relationship seems at least as likely as
                    not, IMO.

                    Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd
                    23rd Baronet of Ruddigore