Re: [Girl Genius] The Anti-Other Project

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31 7:39 PM
      Am I the only one who considers the "Agatha/Lucretia is the Other" tangent
      the Mother of All Red Herrings? At this point it isn't farfetched to
      conjecture that constructs are programmed to obey their masters or their
      masters' heirs. (Is it only adult heirs, and are children not obeyed but
      fanatically protected? That would explain a few things.) Rovainen felt
      compelled to obey Agatha and carry out what he thought were her wishes,
      although she gave no specific orders. Because he felt compelled to obey
      her, Rovainen assumes she must be the Other BUT all it means is that
      he feels compelled to obey her. At this point we can conjecture that the
      revenants are constructs created by either a Heterodyne or a Mongfish, but
      not which Heterodyne or Mongfish. According to the Secret Plans there were
      a lot of evil geniuses in both families to choose from, but the only living
      one described as a "truly evil genius" is Lucretia's father. My
      speculation is that the Other (gender unknown for all Rovainen's guessing)
      is a construct itself, most likely created by Dr. Mongfish as a massive
      Dead Man Switch. "Mocked me, did they? They'll be sorry I'm not there to
      kick around anymore when they see my Ultimate Revenge! Bwahaha!"

      The fact that the Other obeys none of the traditional rules is a big clue
      it's a spoiler construct meant to take effect when it's creator was no
      longer there to care what happens next.

      Also, we still don't know if the Other is alive or dead.

      Klaus, Barry and the Clays all knew both Dr. Beetle and Dr. Mongfish. I
      presume they could distinguish between the two men.

      Debbie
      http://www.brigidsforge.com
      Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

      "Fascism should more properly be called 'corporatism,' since it is the
      marriage of government and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini

    • gizmo_tinkerer
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
        Plot speculation:

        <mutilated quote> "Time is what keeps all the sh...<er> stuff from
        happening at once. Space is what keeps it all from happening to you."

        I like your point about Rovainen making assumptions about Agatha.

        We have seen time windows. The Other could be a future Spark
        determined to snuff out all other Sparks by attacking their
        ancestors. The Other's constructs and revenants would have to avoid
        killing the ancestors of the Other. Or the Other could live in a
        dying world and be attempting to save it. In which case Baron
        Wulfenbach may be a construct working for the Other. The old "Common
        Enemy Scare Tactics" approach, where you scare the populace and then
        offer them protection from the threat. In the Cold War the "Commy
        Terror", in _Watchmen_ the "Other Dimensional Monster Invasion", and
        in _Girl Genius_ the Other.

        -Gizmo

        --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, Debbie <lioness@m...> wrote:
        > Because he felt compelled to obey
        > her, Rovainen assumes she must be the Other BUT all it means is
        that
        > he feels compelled to obey her. At this point we can conjecture
        that the
        > revenants are constructs created by either a Heterodyne or a
        Mongfish, but
        > not which Heterodyne or Mongfish.
        > The fact that the Other obeys none of the traditional rules is a
        big clue
        > it's a spoiler construct meant to take effect when it's creator was
        no
        > longer there to care what happens next.
        > Debbie
      • Anders Hallin
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "M. Alan Thomas II"
          <CrazyDreamer@c...> wrote:
          > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like an
          > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand? (And
          > for a spark, growing a new hand shouldn't be too much trouble.) Dr.
          > Beetle clearly had some idea who Agatha was, and Judy listed him as
          > a potential but unfortunately weak guardian for Agatha.

          Actually, I had assumed this to be the case, but of course with some
          holes, like why the heck he's called Beetle (Mongfish too known a
          name?). Though that probably isn't the case.

          Two other things.
          What's up with "Iland of Gold", really?

          What's in the blueprints?

          Anders Hallin
        • Adam Canning
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
            On 1 Sep 2003 at 10:20, Anders Hallin wrote:

            > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "M. Alan Thomas II"
            > <CrazyDreamer@c...> wrote:
            > > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like an
            > > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand? (And
            > > for a spark, growing a new hand shouldn't be too much trouble.) Dr.
            > > Beetle clearly had some idea who Agatha was, and Judy listed him as
            > > a potential but unfortunately weak guardian for Agatha.
            >
            > Actually, I had assumed this to be the case, but of course with some
            > holes, like why the heck he's called Beetle (Mongfish too known a
            > name?). Though that probably isn't the case.

            And Doctor Beetle having been around long enough to have been one of Klaus's
            tutors.

            --
            Adam
          • Adam Canning
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
              On 31 Aug 2003 at 23:18, M. Alan Thomas II wrote:

              > Might Mr. Rovainen, a revenant, be acting less like a shambling
              > horde of one and more like a normal person who happens to be
              > brainwashed into supporting the Other because the Other, being
              > temporarily banished, can no longer control him? (This would make
              > him like the Jagermonsters, fanatically loyal but otherwise himself.)

              Is Mr Rovainen actually the revenant form of Barry Hetrodyne, or is
              the similarity in build etc a bluff by the authors?

              --
              Adam
            • Tim O'Brien
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
                --- Anders Hallin <grappo555@...> wrote:
                > Two other things.
                > What's up with "Iland of Gold", really?

                There are no monsters there! Nope, no monsters. It's a
                loverly, safe place to visit.

                > What's in the blueprints?

                All the Big Secrets!

                =====
                _____
                TSOB
                Timothy Squire O'Brien

                A=x+y+z -- Albert Einstein

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • studiofoglio
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2003
                  > Why does one lackya have green eyes? (He seems to be in
                  charge, or
                  > at least important.)

                  They all have green eyes. That was a coloring mistake which
                  will be fixed in future editions.

                  > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like
                  an
                  > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand?

                  Ah, the perils of black and white comics. Dr. Beetle is a
                  dark-skinned gentleman, Dr. Mongfish is light-skinned.

                  --Kaja
                • Dava
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
                    > > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like
                    > an
                    > > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand?
                    >
                    > Ah, the perils of black and white comics. Dr. Beetle is a
                    > dark-skinned gentleman, Dr. Mongfish is light-skinned.
                    >
                    > --Kaja

                    Aww, drat! That totally blows the theory I posted way back when I
                    first joined. Now I'll have to deconstruct my whole understanding of
                    the GG universe. :P Honestly, I was fairly convinced that Beetle
                    was Agatha's grandpa.

                    But isn't DuMedd dark skinned, and related to the Mongfishes? Or
                    should I not poke and prod too far with my rusty instruments?

                    Dava
                  • sirruthvenmurgatroyd
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Dava" <dizzydava@a...> wrote:
                      > > > Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Beetle looks exactly like
                      > > an
                      > > > older Dr. Mongfish sans the obviously mechanical left hand?
                      > >
                      > > Ah, the perils of black and white comics. Dr. Beetle is a
                      > > dark-skinned gentleman, Dr. Mongfish is light-skinned.
                      > >
                      > > --Kaja
                      >
                      > Aww, drat! That totally blows the theory I posted way back when I
                      > first joined. Now I'll have to deconstruct my whole understanding
                      of
                      > the GG universe. :P Honestly, I was fairly convinced that Beetle
                      > was Agatha's grandpa.
                      >
                      > But isn't DuMedd dark skinned, and related to the Mongfishes? Or
                      > should I not poke and prod too far with my rusty instruments?
                      >
                      > Dava

                      I haven't noticed anything in the published GG materials which would
                      prevent Dr. Beetle and Dr. Mongfish from having at least one common
                      ancestor to account for the physical resemblance. Given the
                      established tendency of Sparks to behave like aristocrats and marry
                      people from other "Sparky" families, and the fact that Lucrezia was a
                      former student of Beetle's (indicating that Beetle and Mongfish were,
                      at least, not-enemies), a relationship seems at least as likely as
                      not, IMO.

                      Sir Ruthven Murgatroyd
                      23rd Baronet of Ruddigore