Re: [Girl Genius] Time to quit?

  • Garry Wiegand
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      crmrogan wrote:
      >Is anyone else ready to just quit reading because of *too* many
      >convoluted and disappointing plot twists and not enough Agatha?

      Yup.

      Except: I've been disappointed for about 3 volumes at too many plot twists
      and not enough *clanks*!

      Traditional sci-fi plots are easy to come by in the world. I don't find
      them all that interesting any more. The mundane ones all blur together and
      are forgotten. Because of the convolutions, GG's plot may be
      extra-forgettable in the end.

      What I originally found delightful instead about GG was the creativity
      shown with the Victorian clank concept. *That* was exceptional. Nowadays
      except for an occasional dingbot all we've had going is mind-control (with
      no mechanism), and robots. Both mind-control and the robot concept have, I
      think, already been worked over rather thoroughly in the literature.:)

      There has also been an unusual opportunity to do something creative with
      the "construct" idea, but except for Krosp, the vague hive entities, and
      the gentleman with four (six?) arms, all our biological constructs have
      been relentlessly humanoid.

      And recently the Victorian scenery has been barely existent - except for
      the summoning engine, we've had just Generic Medieval Town.

      But I still very much like GG's humor and bright graphics. The graphic for
      the circus tableau this week was especially nice. And GG does still take me
      delightfully by surprise sometimes (for example, when I found the hut of
      Baba Yaga putting in a cameo appearance.)

      It's just getting kind of really tedious waiting through The Dark Plot.
      Would very much rather be seeing more Delightful Cool Places. And more
      Unusual Machines (That Do Something Other Than Just Go "Zap".)

      yours,
      Garry

      PS - Anyone here know Little Nemo? There was a little darkness there, but
      what made it memorable were the scenes. GG's artistic essence is also in
      the scenes.
    • Mary Lowe-Hentges
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        Sorry, no - I'm in line for the third rollercoaster trip since the park opened this morning! Let's go, letsgo, letsgolestgowheeeeeeeeee!

        Annechen Loewenstein
        non scripta non est

      • Dylan Bruns
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
          I am starting to think it is about time to quit, unless something good
          happens. It is pretty bad when I start thinking that Agatha needs to
          be dead, if for no other reason than that there no point in having her
          body around if we never see her. No good science or adventure lately
          with Agatha, so whats the point?

          I will go on for now, though. If Klaus eats the bug, says "yummy", and
          punches Lucrezia in the face, all will be good. If while she's being
          evil, the Copter arrives, all is good. If nothing good has happened by
          the end of the next week, I'm gone. It was good for the first three
          volumes, I got my enjoyment out of it.
        • nagromo
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
            "Dylan Bruns" <dbruns8705@...> wrote:
            > I am starting to think it is about time to quit,
            > unless something good happens.

            Here's another option: instead of reading at every update, just read
            every few months, reading a big chunk at a time. It really helps with
            slow-moving, somewhat annoying storylines for comics you otherwise
            like. That way the tension isn't nearly as bad and it seems to move
            faster (as long as you don't spend tons of time thinking about it in
            the intermediate months). I've considered doing that for this comic,
            but I haven't yet. It really works well, though; that's how I read a
            few of my webcomics.

            I think Klaus is affected by the wasps. I really like Klaus, but I
            think he's going to go away for good soon. At some point, the Foglios
            said they initially didn't expect Klaus to last very long.

            I'm sort of sad at what I see as Klaus going away, but it'll create
            some very interesting possibilities with Gil.

            -Morgan
          • burning_ut
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
              While I understand, and to a limited extent share, people's
              frustrations it really isn't getting that serious for me. I'm still
              having fun and have confidence that things will move to a
              satisfactory resolution.

              For me the switches and reversals have been dizzying and yes,
              sometimes frustrating, but they have remained convincing (at least
              to me; I know others are feeling the strain on their credulity).
              The characters have seemed true to themselves, and I'll tolerate a
              lot more in plot reversals if I believe that the people involved
              actually *would* do the things that cause the complications. Also,
              I feel like things are making progress. It's two-steps-forward-one-
              step-back progress, but it doesn't feel like two-steps-forward-two-
              steps-back.

              It's also helped that I've tried to stop predicting what will happen
              next (note that I haven't stopped trying to predict; my self-control
              isn't quite that strong :P) I'm almost always wrong about where
              things are going to go, and just letting it flow I find is more
              relaxing than trying to figure out how it will get resolved
              satisfactorily.

              I think that we might be seeing an area where the web-comic model is
              a disadvantage for the professors (and for anyone else trying to do
              long-form comics with a page at a time update schedule). I think
              that if I were getting the exact same story delivered to me in 30-40
              page chunks it wouldn't seem as drawn out. That doesn't mean that
              the people who are thinking about quitting wouldn't be right now
              thinking about not buying the next issue, but for me I think it's a
              big source of what frustration I do feel.

              So personally, if things get really bad for me, my first step will
              be to drop to a bi-weekly or monthly reading schedule and see if it
              works better for me that way. For now, though, I'm happy to put up
              with my fits of frustration and keep on getting what's coming as
              soon as it comes.