Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Girl Genius] At last! "Meanwhile, back at the Circus..."

Expand Messages
  • burning_ut
    ... I think that the soldier is almost certainly a revenant, which raises an interesting possibility for when Copter-bot arrives. The soldier is almost
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
      "Pat OConnell" <gypkap@...> wrote:
      > Here's something to think about. Is that soldier a revenant
      > or not? I'm guessing yes.
      >
      > Timeline issue -- Wooster just landed. Can the flybot be
      > far behind with Agatha's message?

      I think that the soldier is almost certainly a revenant, which raises
      an interesting possibility for when Copter-bot arrives. The soldier
      is almost certainly part of the detachment that Tarvek sent to detain
      the circus back when he was trying to get Agatha out of town, which
      means that he hasn't imprinted on Anevka. If Copter-bot has the
      message we saw Agatha record, it includes a request to alert the
      baron. Could it be that the soldier will (a) imprint on Agatha and
      therefore (b) immediately set off on a mission to alert the baron?
    • Cheese goddess
      I can t keep up with the time line myself, but from what I have gathered, which may be very wrong, about a week has passed since Agatha went to the castle.
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
        I can't keep up with the time line myself, but from what I have
        gathered, which may be very wrong, about a week has passed since Agatha
        went to the castle. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe....I know at least one point it
        was dark..then day...then night again...sooo...yeaaah...

        > Fanboy noodling: Sparks = Kings, Muses = Queens. What are
        > the Jacks? Hunchbacks? That'd be nifty. A gear would be
        > a good substitute for the Ace, because it's either the most
        > minor or most signifigant item, depending on the game.

        I love that! Also a Jack could be a construct of some type? Which
        would cover the fields anyway. Spark, Clank, Construct. Jagers=Jokers,
        that or either Hunchbacks, at least to me. The gear idea is AWESOME!
        Because it's very true. Now this just makes me want to go and make a GG
        card deak of what it MIGHT be like.
      • jsheikg
        ... My guess is that Wooster is simply suffering from the dishevelment of a long flight in an open cockpit, complete with windburned face. The invasion of the
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
          > I can never keep track of timelines, but based on the fact that Wooster
          > looks like crap, I think that a few days have passed in sequence- the
          > events we've seen from "a Flyer is Spotted" on to Lucrezia x2 happen
          > one-after-another, rather than "meanwhile."

          My guess is that Wooster is simply suffering from the dishevelment of
          a long flight in an open cockpit, complete with windburned face. The
          invasion of the palace is just now happening and Klaus will plunge
          through this evening's overcast sky.
          BTW near evening or near dawn would be the ideal times to pull off the
          plunging maneuver since the ships would not be preceded by their
          shadows throught the clouds.
        • burning_ut
          I think we ve got a slightly longer rewind for this scene, but only a couple of hours at most. Abner says that it s dawn now, when he brings Wooster in. The
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
            I think we've got a slightly longer rewind for this scene, but only a
            couple of hours at most. Abner says that it's dawn now, when he
            brings Wooster in. The lightning moat appear to have come down at or
            after dawn, since the mob doesn't come equipped with torches (tsk
            tsk), and Selnikov mentions a strange flier being spotted last night.
            I think it would take some time for the cannon fodd... er, loyal
            citizens to establish that the castle was undefended before Anevka
            would move in to set up headquarters; it's hard to say how long, since
            I'm not sure how big the castle is, but I have a hard time believing
            less than half and hour. The shenanagins between when Anevka finds
            Tarvek and when she gets shut down don't take long, but installing
            Anevka/Lucrezia's head and connecting the cables can't be a short job.

            I figure the Baron is coming in in early morning, but late enough that
            if it were near simultaneous to Wooster being introduced that Abner
            would not be saying it's dawn. I give Wooster time to wash his face
            and tell his story, for Copter-bot to arrive and play its message, and
            for someone to say "we've got to hurry before the Baron arrives"
            before the airships break cloud cover.
          • rja_carnegie
            ... Igors! Lab assistants of some kind, anyway. However, ... well, I m not sure where playing cards came from, but I feel that everyday life for the general
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
              "teratologicalmarty" <teratomarty@...> wrote:
              > Fanboy noodling: Sparks = Kings, Muses = Queens.
              > What are the Jacks? Hunchbacks? That'd be nifty.

              Igors! Lab assistants of some kind, anyway.

              However, ... well, I'm not sure where playing cards
              came from, but I feel that everyday life for the
              general population in Girl Genius Europe would not
              necessarily be dominated by sparkiness all the time -
              even if most or all of the local rulers are sparks.
              On the other hand, notwithstanding a few mentions,
              we haven't seen what (if anything) most ordinary
              people do as religion. Zeetha fearlessly describes
              her society's religion in public...
            • Christina Schwanitz
              ... Yep. Love the little detail, the owl-eyed smudged face, with the lines of dirt where the edges of the flight-goggles would have been.
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "jsheikg" <jsheikg@...> wrote:

                > My guess is that Wooster is simply suffering from the dishevelment of
                > a long flight in an open cockpit, complete with windburned face.

                Yep. Love the little detail, the "owl-eyed" smudged face, with the
                lines of dirt where the edges of the flight-goggles would have been.
              • Mark Space
                ... I haven t studied the time line closely, but I get the feeling personally that it s been at least 24 hours since that night. I think this ll give the
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                  burning_ut wrote:
                  > I think we've got a slightly longer rewind for this scene, but only a
                  > couple of hours at most. Abner says that it's dawn now, when he
                  > brings Wooster in. The lightning moat appear to have come down at or
                  > after dawn, since the mob doesn't come equipped with torches (tsk
                  > tsk), and Selnikov mentions a strange flier being spotted last night.
                  >

                  I haven't studied the time line closely, but I get the feeling
                  personally that it's been at least 24 hours since that night. I think
                  this'll give the sparks in the circus to implement Agatha's plans for
                  the Battle Circus ("A merry-go-round that could level a small town!")
                  after they see the ding bot's message. Then they'll be heading into
                  town as the Baron's airships arrive.

                  Alternately, the Battle Circus has already been implemented, as a
                  "precaution."
                • viper50bmg
                  ... Nein, not lab assistants - JAGERS!!! For each suite, one of everybody s favorite Yagerkin: Jenka, Dimo, Oggie, and Maxim! How about that?
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>
                    wrote:
                    >
                    > "teratologicalmarty" <teratomarty@> wrote:
                    > > Fanboy noodling: Sparks = Kings, Muses = Queens.
                    > > What are the Jacks? Hunchbacks? That'd be nifty.
                    >
                    > Igors! Lab assistants of some kind, anyway.
                    >
                    > However, ... well, I'm not sure where playing cards
                    > came from, but I feel that everyday life for the
                    > general population in Girl Genius Europe would not
                    > necessarily be dominated by sparkiness all the time -
                    > even if most or all of the local rulers are sparks.
                    > On the other hand, notwithstanding a few mentions,
                    > we haven't seen what (if anything) most ordinary
                    > people do as religion. Zeetha fearlessly describes
                    > her society's religion in public...


                    Nein, not lab assistants - JAGERS!!!
                    For each suite, one of everybody's favorite Yagerkin:
                    Jenka, Dimo, Oggie, and Maxim!
                    How about that?
                  • rja_carnegie
                    ... Well, anyway, it had better not be teatime. Mr. Wooster will /not/ be pleased if the Baron arrives while they are taking tea. Actually... how many people
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                      --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "burning_ut" <mac.almy@...> wrote:
                      > I figure the Baron is coming in in early morning, but
                      > late enough that if it were near simultaneous to Wooster
                      > being introduced that Abner would not be saying it's dawn.

                      Well, anyway, it had better not be teatime.
                      Mr. Wooster will /not/ be pleased if the Baron
                      arrives while they are taking tea.

                      Actually... how many people in the story are
                      tea drinkers?? The Jager Generals as well...
                      if they have tea cosies in Zumzum then presumably
                      they have tea, as well as... the other thing...
                    • rja_carnegie
                      ... As explained after the bridge fight, the circus doesn t do that kind of thing. They defend their retreat, they run, they yell for help. I don t think the
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Mark Space <markspace@...> wrote:
                        > Alternately, the Battle Circus has already been
                        > implemented, as a "precaution."

                        As explained after the bridge fight, the circus
                        doesn't do that kind of thing. They defend their
                        retreat, they run, they yell for help.

                        I don't think the circus sparks even got Agatha's plans.

                        I think the dingbots got 'em.

                        And got busy.

                        I think surprise will be almost universal.

                        And Madam Olga's services may not be retained.

                        If there is even still a circus to retain 'em.
                      • Euel Ball
                        ... I second the motion, and propose it be put to a vote! If Maxim -isn t- the Jäger of Swords, then there is something wrong with the universe... Euel
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 4, 2006
                          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "viper50bmg" <Matz.Kids@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > Nein, not lab assistants - JAGERS!!!
                          > For each suite, one of everybody's favorite Yagerkin:
                          > Jenka, Dimo, Oggie, and Maxim!
                          > How about that?
                          >
                          I second the motion, and propose it be put to a vote!

                          If Maxim -isn't- the Jäger of Swords, then there is something wrong
                          with the universe...

                          Euel
                        • teratologicalmarty
                          ... No, man, Maxim is totally the Jäger of hearts. Mmm mmm.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 4, 2006
                            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Euel Ball" <euelball@...> wrote:

                            > If Maxim -isn't- the Jäger of Swords, then there is something wrong
                            > with the universe...

                            No, man, Maxim is totally the Jäger of hearts. Mmm mmm.
                          • evaneyreddeman
                            ... It looks like they re playing with a variant of a (modern) standard deck...so I doubt there s a suit of Swords...but I do think I see a suit of Lightning!
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 4, 2006
                              > If Maxim -isn't- the Jäger of Swords, then there is something wrong
                              > with the universe...

                              It looks like they're playing with a variant of a (modern) standard
                              deck...so I doubt there's a suit of Swords...but I do think I see a
                              suit of Lightning! (I can also see hearts, diamonds, and spades. Clubs
                              are debateable.)

                              And I, at least, prefer Igors. Then you have the Spark, His/Her
                              Inspiration, and the Help. All nice and neat and more-or-less logical.
                              Although Jaegers would be more fun.

                              -Evaney Reddeman, who has been sketching cards recently...
                            • Ruth
                              Bang goes that theory... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 4, 2006
                                Bang goes that theory...

                                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                              • Mark Space
                                ... I d make Maxim the Jack of Spades... the suit that used to be swords. Oggie ... clubs, obviously. ;) Dimo is the Jack of Hearts. He got seriously injured
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 4, 2006
                                  Euel Ball wrote:
                                  > --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "viper50bmg" <Matz.Kids@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >>
                                  >> Nein, not lab assistants - JAGERS!!!
                                  >> For each suite, one of everybody's favorite Yagerkin:
                                  >> Jenka, Dimo, Oggie, and Maxim!
                                  >> How about that?
                                  >>
                                  >>
                                  > I second the motion, and propose it be put to a vote!
                                  >
                                  > If Maxim -isn't- the Jäger of Swords, then there is something wrong
                                  > with the universe...
                                  >
                                  > Euel
                                  >

                                  I'd make Maxim the Jack of Spades... the suit that used to be swords.
                                  Oggie ... clubs, obviously. ;)

                                  Dimo is the Jack of Hearts. He got seriously injured first, so that
                                  makes him "a lover not a fighter" in my book. So Jenka gets to be the
                                  Jack of Dimonds. This works I think; she seems like a pretty hard gal.
                                • Christina Schwanitz
                                  ... Interesting idea. I m pretty sure the soldier is infected. But would a mere tinny recording of Agatha s voice, played back by a tiny little fly-bot, have
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 5, 2006
                                    --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "burning_ut" <mac.almy@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > "Pat OConnell" <gypkap@> wrote:
                                    > > Here's something to think about. Is that soldier a revenant
                                    > > or not? I'm guessing yes.
                                    > >
                                    > > Timeline issue -- Wooster just landed. Can the flybot be
                                    > > far behind with Agatha's message?
                                    >
                                    > I think that the soldier is almost certainly a revenant, which raises
                                    > an interesting possibility for when Copter-bot arrives. The soldier
                                    > is almost certainly part of the detachment that Tarvek sent to detain
                                    > the circus back when he was trying to get Agatha out of town, which
                                    > means that he hasn't imprinted on Anevka. If Copter-bot has the
                                    > message we saw Agatha record, it includes a request to alert the
                                    > baron. Could it be that the soldier will (a) imprint on Agatha and
                                    > therefore (b) immediately set off on a mission to alert the baron?

                                    Interesting idea. I'm pretty sure the soldier is infected.
                                    But would a mere tinny recording of Agatha's voice, played back by a
                                    tiny little fly-bot, have the same power as the real voice?

                                    I doubt it. After all look to what great lengths Tarvek and Anevka
                                    went to get a perfect recording of Agatha's spark-voice, isolate the
                                    command wave, and modify Anevka's voicebox accordingly.

                                    BUT... Agatha, Lucrezia and Anevka always use their *Spark*-voice, not
                                    their normal voice, to command slaver wasps, revenants and
                                    Geisterdamen. Look at the scene in the theatre where Agatha
                                    accidentally "imprints" the threatre-goers, or when she yelled at Dr.
                                    Rovainen, both times she is shown using the sparky voice font. Anevka
                                    and Tarvek had to get Agatha into the "madness place" first to get a
                                    proper recording.
                                    But Agatha's message to the Baron that the singbots recorded was
                                    spoken in normal voice:
                                    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20060602

                                    I'm still wondering if there even *was* a recording made at all. Yes,
                                    Agatha originally planned to have the singbots record her message, and
                                    install the singbots on the roof for the moment when someone with the
                                    Baron's insignia would turn up. And Dingbot Prime, seeing the
                                    Wulfenbach airships, dings at the castle tower for the singbots to do
                                    their bit.

                                    But, look again at the page where Agatha poses in front of her singbot
                                    chorus... she looks down *after* she's spoken the message, notices
                                    she's in her underwear and exclaims "Ack! I can't do this dressed like
                                    this! Everyone's going to see this! Get me something decent to wear!"
                                    which would imply that the proper recording wasn't made yet? Or did
                                    she only want Tarvek to think that? After all, sending Tarvek to get
                                    her a dress was a ruse to get him out of the room so he wouldn't see
                                    her releasing the flybots. Hm.
                                    Going through the comic archives again, this
                                    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20060626
                                    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20060628
                                    looks like Agatha *did* make a second recording with her dress on
                                    off-panel, just before Vrin storms in with her message about Wooster's
                                    flyer and Tarvek shuts down the singbots. Ok, I rest my case.
                                  • Corgi
                                    ... There s nothing saying the deck can t have four face cards, like tarot/tarocchi, instead of three like poker/bridge. Sparks, Muses, Jaegers AND... Clanks?
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 7, 2006
                                      From various posters:

                                      >> If Maxim -isn't- the Jäger of Swords, then there is something wrong
                                      >> with the universe...
                                      >
                                      > I'd make Maxim the Jack of Spades... the suit that used to be swords.
                                      > Oggie ... clubs, obviously. ;)
                                      >
                                      > Dimo is the Jack of Hearts. He got seriously injured first, so that
                                      > makes him "a lover not a fighter" in my book. So Jenka gets to be
                                      > the Jack of Dimonds. This works I think; she seems like a pretty
                                      > hard gal.

                                      There's nothing saying the deck can't have four face cards, like
                                      tarot/tarocchi, instead of three like poker/bridge. Sparks, Muses,
                                      Jaegers AND... Clanks?

                                      Corgi
                                      Card-geeking as well
                                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.