Re: Talk about intelligent...

  • jsheikg
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 30, 2006
      > If this were true, then the wingbots would be non-functional,
      > since Agatha lacks both propellers and wings. And looking
      > back, at least two of them had no legs, and one depended on
      > a single wheel instead:
      >
      > http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-bin/ggmain.cgi?date=20060605
      >
      > Plus, numerous clanks (like the Search Engine) move on four
      > legs instead of two.

      I didn't say imprinting limited behavior, it's just the starting point
      using the most natural mode, and the natural mode covers a great deal
      of functional territory. *I* can walk on all fours (poorly), drive a
      car, and I've learned to ride a bicycle, but I wasn't designed to do
      any of these things. Humans are designed to work bipedally but we can
      learn to do other things as well, even fly (with a great deal of
      enhancement). There's no telling what I could do with a purpose
      designed body, but I bet I wouldn't quit trying to move just because I
      found myself with a propeller and no legs, especially if I had a
      mission to perform.
      BTW the Search Engine *did* use two legs, and two legs are prefered
      even when used on something as big as the gunboat Vienna. Clanks are
      purpose built, so if there was a *requirement* for four legs, or
      wheels, or tank treads, or just an articulated body, that's how the
      Spark would build it and let the clank figure out how to walk, roll,
      crawl, or squirm.
    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2006
        aquillion <no_reply@...> wrote:
        > numerous clanks (like the Search Engine) move
        > on four legs

        Nope, two. Look again at
        http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/gg101/cast.php

        If you're really, really in a hurry,
        http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info/cast/bios/searchengine.jpg

        Having said that, it moves more like a cartoon tyrannosaur
        than a human, although with larger hands than T. rex.

        Perhaps the "imprinting" theory only applies to Sparks'
        unconscious creations. When you're awake, you can think
        analytically and discover the advantages of multiple legs.
        I also wouldn't expect all the dingbots to follow a rule;
        they are built out of available materials, converted from
        existing assemblies, and they take inspiration from what
        they find. Some bodies require three or four legs instead
        of two. Some bodies already have legs. Some take wheels...

        In fact... is creating in your sleep, typical behaviour
        for new Sparks? Or just Agatha, whose Spark was unnaturally
        suppressed?
      • Sea Change
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2006
          Tom Brosz wrote:

          [snip]
          > You know, if I were Agatha, and smart enough to build a semi-
          > intelligent device the size of an alarm clock, I probably would have
          > built a signalling device that could find its OWN way up to the roof!

          Sea Change replies:

          We know that Agatha prevented Tarvek from testing its function.
          It could very well be that her given reason is true, but we also
          know that she doesn't trust him and sends out the wingbots.
          It probably does indeed do something that he would find
          unexpected.

          Sea Change, who wonders if the 'whirlwind' was satisfied
          by the special effects dingbot during the Star Rangers panel.