[Girl Genius] Re: Poor spear carrier...

  • jsheikg
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2006
      > I don't know. Somebody suggested Anevka was following the "Fake
      > weakness" Overlord Rule. Me, I CANNOT TELL if she *or* her brother are
      > master improvisers or master planners with twisty little minds worthy of
      > _Death Note_, or both, or what.

      I'm thinking Anevka or/and Tarvek is/are wondering just how gullible
      The Other & Company are.
      Anevka turns her back and Vrin jumps into hand-and-shock range, just
      like Anevka wanted.
      Anevka turns her back again and the Other does *exactly* the same
      thing, and *she* witnessed Vrin's blunder!

      > I also can't tell what Lucrezia sliced today (Monday).

      I'm thinking the cables/hoses. There's not much else back there.
      Perhaps yet another Fake Weakness?
      It would explain why Anevka was so "careless", she *knew* the
      cables/hoses were not vital.
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
        Hi, I'm new. I usually prefer to just read, but I wanted to weigh in
        on this.

        > I also can't tell what Lucrezia sliced today (Monday).

        It looks like most people suspect that Lucrezia sliced Anevka's
        cables, but I think you'd see a significant reaction from Anevka if
        that were the case. I'd also expect to see the cut depicted, because
        that would be a really big deal. And there's no spray from the bubbly
        stuff coursing through those cables. Since we don't see the sword cut
        anything, AND there's no material or liquid on it, I think the "slash"
        is probably just the sound of the sword being pulled through the
        air... probably off the nearest Geister, since if she yanked it out of
        the dead courtier it'd be bloody. An inconsequential sound effect,
        really. But I've been wrong about this comic before... often. :)

        Nice to meet everyone,

        Scott
      • rja_carnegie
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
          "Scott" <heufrustradilectepuer@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I'm new. I usually prefer to just read, but I wanted
          > to weigh in on this.

          Welcome!

          > It looks like most people suspect that Lucrezia sliced
          > Anevka's cables, but I think you'd see a significant
          > reaction from Anevka if that were the case. I'd also
          > expect to see the cut depicted, because that would be
          > a really big deal. And there's no spray from the bubbly
          > stuff coursing through those cables. Since we don't see
          > the sword cut anything, AND there's no material or liquid
          > on it, I think the "slash" is probably just the sound of
          > the sword being pulled through the air... probably off
          > the nearest Geister, since if she yanked it out of
          > the dead courtier it'd be bloody. An inconsequential
          > sound effect, really. But I've been wrong about this
          > comic before... often. :)

          So have most of the characters...

          I think the revelation of the damage that Lucregatha
          may have done to Anevka may be on the next page.
          We saw the stroke, Anevka's retaliation, and Lucregatha
          flat on her back and /possibly/ changing back to Agatha -
          her "Uh - " has a dotted line border that usually represents
          a whisper in comics, and if that was Lucrezia I think she'd
          be yelling. So Anevka's fate may come next. She's already
          "wounded" by losing a courtier. It's also possible that
          Vrin or the Geisterdamen will get up, or Tarvek leap out
          of the crazy machine he was posing in (if he was - that
          story could still be true, that he was put in that against
          his will, to say the least), or other players come in.

          I'm not depending on losing Anevka. I still want to see her
          /and/ Tarvek redeemed. And after all, Tarvek saved her life,
          apparently, and they plotted together - so he's partly
          responsible for what she does.

          I rule out "inconsequential sound effect" from reading
          Kaja Foglio's LiveJournal, where I /think/ I saw her complain
          about doing sound effects in general and a whole page of them
          for Tarvek's Incredible Folding Chapel in particular, although
          right now I can't find that article - anyone? So I don't
          think there are so many inconsequential effects. But I may
          be wrong; for instance, sword noises may be an exception.
          Butdit could just be Anevka's coat that was cut.

          I don't recall Mrs Foglio saying she was looking forward to
          getting rid of anyone - except Moloch von Zinzer, the guy
          whose brother apparently was killed by Agatha's locket, and
          she can't because he's needed later. No doubt she has other
          favourite characters and potential victims, but she isn't
          about to give away any surprises - unless she writes when
          she's sleepy, as she may do.
        • saisis
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
            --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <heufrustradilectepuer@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, I'm new. I usually prefer to just read, but I wanted to weigh
            > in on this.
            >
            > > I also can't tell what Lucrezia sliced today (Monday).
            >
            > It looks like most people suspect that Lucrezia sliced Anevka's
            > cables, but I think you'd see a significant reaction from Anevka if
            > that were the case.
            ::schnippen::
            > I think the "slash"
            > is probably just the sound of the sword being pulled through the
            > air... probably off the nearest Geister, since if she yanked it out
            > of the dead courtier it'd be bloody. An inconsequential sound
            > effect, really.

            I agree with Margaret that it's hard to tell what's been sliced, but I
            don't think the sound effect is inconsequential - if for no other
            reason than Kaja has mentioned in her blog that she finds them
            annoying to put in ;-) I do agree with you that it probably wasn't a
            cable tho, no fluid spray, etc. My first impression was actually that
            Other!Lu!Agatha had sliced off Anevka's hat, but re-reading shows me
            that it fell off before that... perhaps O!L!A was swinging at Anevka
            to force her to duck, and therefore drop the letica? Maybe she didn't
            want to make contact with Anevka because she's afraid of getting
            zapped through it. Of course she's standing too close anyway, but
            maybe she didn't think Anevka would risk letting go to reach out to
            her? Oh dear, so many questions and so many hours until Wednesday.

            On tangent - welcome to the posting ranks, Scott! A thoughtful first
            post, I must say =)

            yours in speccing,
            Sa Capriox
          • saisis
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
              --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, "rja_carnegie" <rja_carnegie@...>
              wrote:

              > I rule out "inconsequential sound effect" from reading
              > Kaja Foglio's LiveJournal, where I /think/ I saw her complain
              > about doing sound effects in general and a whole page of them
              > for Tarvek's Incredible Folding Chapel in particular, although
              > right now I can't find that article - anyone?

              You're thinking of the same thing I was. It's a quick comment, here:
              http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/2006/08/03/

              yours in archive diving,
              Sa Capriox