See? Agatha/Lucrezia's smarter than Vrin.

  • tom_brosz
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      Well, I suppose she'd have to be, right?

      She's certainly a lot smarter than the idiot who designed a critical
      life support system to be carried around by four flunkies, and fragile
      enough to break if accidentally dropped.

      The one I designed would be a clank walking around by itself, probably
      bristling with weapons. The cables would be armored, and it would have
      an armored space inside it that the Anevka avatar could retreat to in
      dire emergencies.

      Shows what happens when you let notions of royal appearances take
      precedence over practicality.
    • rja_carnegie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
        tom_brosz <no_reply@...> wrote:
        > The one I designed would be a clank walking around by itself,
        > probably bristling with weapons.

        If you were designing a battle machine, yes. Anevka isn't
        a warrior, she's a princess. I don't think Aaronev would
        have put up with a war clank stomping around the palace.

        Also, a walking clank that gives a ride as smooth as four
        flunkies is something that the twenty-first century is still
        working on.

        And there's one inescapably fragile component, if that is a
        life-support system - the life itself. There isn't much point
        to building the machine to take abuse that will kill the user -
        unless it's rented, I guess.

        I'd have got the flunkies in armour, though - but then again,
        Anevka probably planned to stay away from fighting, except as
        last resort.

        It looks like Agatha throws a mean sword - would that actually
        work!
      • squig-brain
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
          --- In girlgenius@yahoogroups.com, tom_brosz <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Well, I suppose she'd have to be, right?
          >
          > She's certainly a lot smarter than the idiot who designed a critical
          > life support system to be carried around by four flunkies, and
          fragile
          > enough to break if accidentally dropped.
          >
          > The one I designed would be a clank walking around by itself,
          probably
          > bristling with weapons. The cables would be armored, and it would
          have
          > an armored space inside it that the Anevka avatar could retreat to in
          > dire emergencies.
          >
          > Shows what happens when you let notions of royal appearances take
          > precedence over practicality.

          I also suspect it may have something to do with who actually built her.

          Tarvek probably would make the uber-tank you mentioned for *himself*,
          but for his sister, probably thought it best to make it a wee bit less
          than all-powerful.